Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Torbe

.25 Nitrites Good Or Bad?

Hi, I just got my 55 gallon tank and a master liquid testing kit and last night I tested my 20 gallon tank that right now has my goldies in it and the nitrites came out as 0.25 is this okay or what should I do to lower it? My Ph was 7.4 and I was not able to test my nitrates yet because I had the test tube for nitrates break when I tried to test it. ( I accidentally dropped the tube on the floor) My ammonia was 0.

Edited by Torbe

:) Hi Torbe,How long has your tank actually been set up? Has it cycled yet?

Testing the nitrates will give us more an indication for us to say or not. In a fully cycled tank you want the nitrites to be 0. So until we know what the nitrates are it is hard to say.

How are the fish?

I have had the tank set up since some time around the beggining of march and I have had it cycling ever since then. I added fish towards the end of march. The fish are doing fine but i used dip strips before and just got my testing kit. I test nitrates and get back with you.

Hi, my nitrates are 10. My Ph is 7.4. My nitrite is .25. Ammonia is 0

Sounds like you're about there. If you added some salt, that would protect against nitrIte poisoning. 10 teaspoons should do the trick... predissolved in tank water, add slowly to a high water flow area.

So are you going to move them to the 55?

Yes, but it has to be cycled first the fishless way.