Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ranchu_man

Cloudy Water...

Nice one, RM. Where do I order one of your special miracle lamps? :D

Thank you guys.. appreciate all your help. The tank is so clear now and the water looks "invinsible".

Captk, I can give you one lamp as my gift to you but the freight might cost more than the lamp :D . I am serious and I still have 9 pcs in stock. It is just a UVC germicidal lamp but the quality is quite good.

Cheers...........

Thank you, my friend. :) I was only joking. My tanks are not as well setup as yours so it would be impossible for me to duplicate your design. I have seen 8W ones for sale though. They are in black plastic housings suitable for any aquarium..

Guest ThugLife

i wanted to kno why my other tank the 20 gallon is so cloudy?

here are some pics

ihnp-438117thumb.jpg <-- 30 gallon new tank

ihnp-438121thumb.jpg <-- i kno its overstocked rite now becuz im temperorly puttin them there

ihnp-438124thumb.jpgihnp-438126thumb.jpgihnp-438127thumb.jpg

click on da pics to see them betta

I think your tank is having the green pea soup syndrom (floating algae). Mine had the same problem and using a UV sterilizer solved the problem. Do you have a unit? UV can clear up the water within a day or so. Make sure thae flow rate that goes through the UV unit is not too fast or else it won't be effective.

Cheers....

Edited by ranchu_man

Guest ThugLife

no i dont have a UV thingy

where can i find it

is it safe?

The following link was provided by our beloved Dataguru. You can find a lot of UV models for aquarium use. If you read all the contents in this thread, you should be able to solve the green water problem in your tank. My tank now is super clear and I have never seen water so clear in my tank before using the UV lamp. I am running the UV 3 hours daily with great results.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavR...m?N=2004+113778

Cheers.....

Edited by ranchu_man

Hey Ranchu. Is the UV bulb you're using a T8 with the 2 pins? What kinda of ballast are you using to run it?

I picked up a 25 watt T8 UV bulb yesterday. Went to the home improvement store to see if I could cobble together something like you set up, but wasn't sure if a regular fluorescent fixture would work with the UV bulb since it's 25 watt and regular fluorescents of that size are 15 watts.

Also got lucky and found a 16 watt UV unit on clearance at vvvv. Would have to keep the flow rate in the 55 under 75 gph for it to kill parasites. I still have 6 days worth of formalin to go on the velvet treatment for my goldies. so I guess I'll finish that and then hook up the UV.

DG,

My lamp has 2 pin on each sides (see attached pictures). The lamp rating is 10W and I am using a 11W ballast to run it. Since it is like a normal florescent lamp, it will also need a starter. For wiring connection, it is just like any ordinary florescent lamp. Since you ontained a 25W UV bulb, you should be able to get hold of a 25W ballast. Is your lamp with 2 pins or 4 pins? If you cannot get a 25W ballast, a 30W should work with a little overdrive. This will increase the power slightly but may reduce the UV lamp life a little.

There is 2 ways to mount the UV lamp. The one I am using is immersed in the sump using a quartz sleeve. You will need a quartz sleeve to prevent the lamp from touching the tank water. If you do not have a sleeve you can mount it above the water level in a sump. Using a polished reflector will maximize the irridation of the UV rays to the water passing through. I think the effectiveness is much better if the lamp is inserted to a sump than a in-line version. The contact time in a sump is much longer compared to the in-line type as the flow rate is usually failrly fast thus reducing the contact time. Most of the in-line type UV sterilizer are quite short and small volume. Let me know if you need further information.

Cheers..............

UV lamp

uvlamp.jpg

UV lamp label

uvlampside.jpg

Cheap conventional ballast

ballast.jpg

Excellent info, RM. :) Can you show us how you mounted in it inside your cabinet as well. Please, pretty please. :)

Hi Captk,

Below is the picture of the UV lamp placed inside the sump. The wiring is a little messy as I am still waiting for the stainless steel plates to be fitted on the quartz sleeve and around the sump to prevent the UV rays from irridating the 2nd stage filter. The end of the sleeve is also not covered, also waiting for the parts to be machined. I am presently using a piece of plastic to cover the 2nd stage filter but plastic is not good with UV as the degrades rapidly and crack unless the plastic is made to withstand UV rays. You will note that the starter is placed inside the quartz together with the lamp to reduce the number of wires coming out from the lamp. The ballast is fitted externally as it is running fairly hot and has to be well insulated from plastic and wood (to prevent accidental fire should the ballast failed).

I will take another picture once all the metal parts are in place and it should be quite neat. A piece of polished stainless steel reflector will also be installed to the sleeve to reflect the UV rays back to the bottom of the sump. The lamp is working well and water is crystal clear. I have just changed 25% water a while ago. :rolleyes:

Cheers............

UV lamp placed in the sump.

UVinsump.jpg

Edited by ranchu_man

Wonderful job you have done on your filter system. :) Thanks for the pics and look forward to the final product. :)

Thanks!! So a regular ballast at or slightly above 25 watts and a starter. I'll have to call around and see where I can come up with a quartz sleeve that'll fit. What I'm thinking I'll do is make a portable unit that could be hooked to either 125 gallon tank when needed. Sounds tho, like I can't just use any old plastic box. I don't understand why life has to be so darned difficult! LOL I need to be richer I think!

You can get the sleeves from Atlantic Ultraviolet. Website is at http://www.ultraviolet.com/ You can get both the lamps and quartz from them but fairly costly. You can specify the length of the sleeve when you order as they can customize the size for you. I am using a 1" OD quartz sleeve with one end closed cause the lamp I am using is thin type. If your tube is of bigger diameter, you have to order a bigger sleeve. What is the dianeter of your tube? They normally call it COE (Close One End). You can check out their website and you might get a good bargain if they have offer items. You can use a plastic box provided the exposure time is short or else the UV will decay the plastic material and eventually caused it to crack. :)

Edited by ranchu_man

Awsome... thanks!! :)

Dunno... it's a T8 bulb. with 2 pins on each end like a typical fluorescent tube.