Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Milo Burnham

Culling Fry

First fry are now a month old and large enough for the first culling; ridding myself of all fry with a single tail. I'm wondering, what to do with the culled fry? It doesn't seem right to flush them nor does it seem right to just drop them on the ground. I guess I could throw them into the pond where they have a chance of getting eaten but still a chance for life but then I'd be netting them out if they survived. Dilemma! At the moment there are way too many fry to save them all and as they grow the food demands are getting more and more. I've been feeding brine shrimp and that in itself is a chore; also a big disappointment. The first tube of eggs purchased had a high percentage hatch but the next tubes seem almost dead. I'm really ticked off at the supplier. I'm trying a second supplier and hope the shrimp eggs arrive soon. In the meantime I'm feeding freeze dried daphnia and a mix of ground up freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms. I'm doing daily 50 percent water changes using water treated with Amquel + and I'm adding Maroxy with each water change. All of this is going on in five 5-gallon buckets, each with an air stone but no filtration. I'm still waiting and almost expecting the dreaded fungus to move in but maybe I'll get lucky this year. I'm dealing with fry of 3 different ages, the oldest being from a March 27, Easter Sunday, spawning.

Milo

Use methylene blue to keep the fungus away. As for the culling,yeah it sucks, but I did oil of cloves, or just put them in with the big kids for a fast "over with". It seems cruel, but that's how mother nature works!

Erika is right - it needs to be done, Milo. Think of it that way - the big, perfect, healthy ones need lots of water, and all the ones with deformities not only take away from that water demand, but also most likely will not make it to full adult hood due to their deformities. A lot of fish I see in pet stores are nothing but those culled fish, with missing fins, funny shapes and what nots.

It is tough to do, but you don't do the culled fry a favor by keeping them. And its excellent nutrition for the pond fish as well. It sounds cruel, but breeders don't do it any other way. They would be stuck with way too many fish to take care of, and a lot of them not what they desire to breed.

Being stuck with too many fish, hm? Of whom does that remind me of? :rofl

I think if I had fry to cull(and hopefully I do someday-but not for the culling part) I would just put them in with the adults. It seems to me the easiest, and you wouldnt be the one culling. Also you dont have to watch. That would be my way of dealing with it. Otherwise I would be so sad and feel sorry for them.

Being stuck with too many fish, hm? Of whom does that remind me of? 

HMMMMMM>>>>>>>>> :lol:

quick death and not slow death!

Guest yabbie

I thought methylene blue killed off the good bacteria as well as the bad and led to weaker fishies.

Besides, fry fishies like the slimey stuff on the glass, don't they?

I don't treat the water at all... just change 50% every few days and add a smidgin of salts. Mind you, I've got great water so I have no idea what happens where you are. Or if I even have the right angle on this.

I've found that if I need to go away for the weekend, I can put them somewhere dark and cool and their metabolism slows down and they can miss a few feeds quite happily. Well, it doesn't increase their mortality rate and they sure are happy to see me when I get back.

I think I fiddled too much with my first batch of fry. They are turning out to be incredibly good looking tho. Only three of them will need to go off to meet mummy and daddy... some of the others have homes waiting in friend's new ponds. So I'll be able to keep the best and send the rest off.

I've never heard of it killing off the cycle or anything? I used the methelyne blue and didn't have any problems at all! In fact, my fry are the toughest fish I have. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, it might be true.... weird. :blink:

Guest yabbie

Well I could be wrong.

It wouldn't be a new thing for me. But the fish girl wouldn't sell me methylene blue, and she knows local conditions. She just gave me a bubbler and sent me on my way.

best ways to cull.....

option 1 - put them in a pond, most will be dinner, if any survive you can net and sell/give away them. it will elminate the truely deformed....

option 2 - bucket of ice water...

But the fish girl wouldn't sell me methylene blue, and she knows local conditions.  She just gave me a bubbler and sent me on my way.

326954[/snapback]

Thats not good buisness. Now, you cant have the medicine, take this in stead, now get out. lol

Errr, I actually thought methlyene blue was a restricted medicine in the US. Some countries aren't allowed to sell it at all. I read this on another fish site.

edit: yabbie are you from Oz? I thought it wasn't available here either.

Edited by Fishmerised

Guest yabbie

It is... or something similar, the shop had stuff available.

I thought the blue crystalised powder was methylene blue for adult fish. I haven't used it in years tho so I'm not sure.