Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Erika

Shipping Spud To Florida!

Spud, my largest fry is making his big move this week. He's moving in with Toothless, who's had a tank cycled and waiting for his arrival for the longest time now!

Paul and I have been talking about "how" to ship him, and I was wondering if you all had some input for us. I'm going to be shipping him overnight via FedEx, but what should I put in his water to make sure he's going to be ok? I have some methylene blue, and Paul mentioned Ammo-Lock... but can these 2 be mixed? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Erika

my guppies arrived in 2days with no problem. do you got a bag buddy? all you should really worry about is the temperature......

:( My memory sucks....I've had a few fish shipped to me and I know that a couple people mentioned two things that they put in their water,and for the life of me,I cant remember! :crp Ammo Lock makes sense to me though,and you figure it's going to be overnite so....Alot of people talk about these bag buddies to use,but you know what,I've never had a fish shipped in one-how weird is that.Everyone has shipped a double bag. Fish in the bag,bag in the other.From what I've noticed,water is minimal,& seem to be more focused on alot of air. Sorry I couldn't help you more......Toothy,Spud's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be sooooooooooo excited!!!! :heart Erika,I almost forgot...If you ship in reg.bags,put spud in 1st bag,knot it,turn upside down so when you add him into second bag,knot is on the bottom,then knot second bag. This is done by alot of shipper's ,so that the fish don't get caught in the corners of the bag.Doing it that way makes it all sort of rounded out.-Know what I mean Jelly Bean? There are also Buddy Bag tablets that you can buy if you really are worried. They sometimes use them to buffer water,reduce stress,& it has something minor in it for aiding any unforseen injuries during the ship. Just thought Id add that.

when we get our fish overnighted at my work, they come in just plain water, only enough to just cover the fish and a TON of air. along with a cool or heat pack (depending on season)

the bags are always double or triple bagged, and as big as the box, so theres no rolling around.. hope this helps!

Thats right! Errika is "my baby fish momma".......... :lol:

I found the ULTIMATE page for this exact info , last night. Check this out............

shipping fish

Methinks that you could actually forego the pure oxygen if you use bag buddies. I would skip the methylene blue too.

ANyways, what do you think? Is it at all feasable for you to find bag buddies on such short notice. Maybe some calls should go out ASAP, huh?

Lemme know..........

WOW, that's NUTS!! What a good article... I searched last night, but never found that. I definetly learned some stuff!!!

K. I'm going to do this either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on how much stuff I can round up. I'm a bit stumped about the pure oxygen though......... I don't know where I'll get that....... I know they said vet's office or the pharmacy, but he must be talking small town places that are actually friendly, cuz I can't see anyone doing that here, but of course I'll try.

Paul, I'll talk to you on AIM later, gotta go do some stuff.....

Oh man I love that link Paul. I got a big kick out of it, he actually goes into how to lie to the pharmarcist................too funny.

Hey I guess ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Yeah, Erik Johnson seems to be quite the comedian. It seems that almost every article he writes, he injects some form of good humor or another..... :D

I like the answer he gives for the question on wether or not to use oxygen when shipping overnight. Short, sweet and simple......... :rofl

:rolleyes: I mentioned Bag Buddies..Least I said something right! :lol:

I have shipped goldfish a few times now and dont want to do it anymore?too stressful!! Ive sent fish to three members on here and all arrived and as far as I know are doing well. The water to oxygen ratio is most important. You want 1/3 of water and 2/3 oxygen. I went in to work to use the oxygen there. I also triple bagged them and added a few ice packs (this was in summer, however). Also line the box with some styrofoam if possible. I had a scare the last time I shipped, which was to Ranchugirl. She received the box with a large hole in it. I shudder to think of what would have happened if the bags had been punctured.

The last time I shipped, it was three large adult goldfish. A fry should be much easier and will probably take the trip in stride. :) Let us know how it goes!

For one gallon of water, add:

1 teaspoon of Amquel or ChlorAm-X

1-1/2 tablespoons of solar salt, and

1/4 teaspoon of slime coat.

Use a cold pack during the summer.

Always double-bag.

The shippers require that the styrofoam box be inside a cardboard box.

You can get a shot of oxygen at a pet store or welding shop.

One gallon is safe for 25 two-inch fish for 36 hours, and at least 10-15 fish for 48 hours.

mine was shipped in dual boxes. box from USPS, another box for keeping fish warm and theres like.. air inside the bag once i opened it.

Well, my buddy that owns one of the good LFS in my area hooked me up.... he gave me a bag buddy and some bags to ship him in. I *might* ship him tonight if the box I had to spray paint is dry in time. The only box I had that was small enough is a USPS Priorit y Mail box, so I obviously don't wanna use that, so I painted it. Hehe. I have all the crap I need sittin in the corner, just waiting, but the UPS pickup is at 5..... so I don;'t know if I'll make it or not... we'll see. :huh:

Spud is officially on his way... I'd appreciate it if everyone would keep their fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for his safe trip!! He'll be at Toothless' pad before 10:30 tomorrow morning......... :unsure:

safe trip, love. <3

:D I can't believe it finally happened.It was a long time in the making. Everything I can cross is crossed. I remember,nah nevermind. The "Spudman is coming Toothy" :newfish Yeah baby!!! Erika you surrogate fish Mommy you!! :lol :Spud will be fine....When Toothy opens that box,he'll see Spud sitting there with his fins crossed,and hear him asking If Toothy has any Dorito's & Dew!!!!!!! :rofl

Ok everyone seems to know this story but me, I want to know how this all happened and who is Spud????

:rolleyes: Erika's fish had babies some months ago.Spud is one of the babies that Toothy fell in love with.He was one of Erika's biggest fry.

I see and what is MR. Spud????

MR. Spud??

I assume it's one of Spud's nicknames?

He made it! He made it!! Yay!!!! Paul called at like 8:20 or so my time, and I called him back shortly after and he was acclimating Spud into his tank! He said he looked like he had a good trip, not stressed or anything, and while I was on the phone with him, Spud, being the shy eater he is :rolleyes: went after some food! What a relief to know that he's safe and sound and made the trip with flying colors. He'll be posting pictures later.

:alc :nana Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just noticed the time & went looking for this thread!!!!!!!!! YAY SPUD!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart I haven't seen him for a while so I'm looking forward to the Pics! Bet everyone's breathing a sigh of relief! :rolleyes:

Yep, hes quite the pig! he hasn't stopped trying to eat since he got here! :lol:

Well, he passed the acclimation period and hes now in his little 5 gallon q-tank. Im gonna wait til later to get some shots of him in his tank. But, I snapped a couple while he was in his acclimation chamber:

spudacclimating.jpg

spudtopview.jpg

Ill be back later..........

:o Oh Wow,did he get big or what???And those color's...I knew that he lost his blue,but that's the way I've always seen him, so this is surprising to me...Well he looks great guys! ;) Erika,you did a great job with those babies!!!!

GOD, it's soooo weird seeing someone else post pictures of "my" fish!! I even got a little teary eyed seeing him! Ah,22, I'd rather live in Florida too, Spud's lovin it I'm sure! :D