Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
grain

More Tail Problems

actually, this has been going on since the beginning of september.

the water quality is fine, the other 2 fish are fine, and the fish himself is generally healthy...but his tail is horrible.

ok, here's the deal and all i can tell ya about the tank and the fish:

55 gallon tank

2 filters, one penguin biowheel 330, one aquatech 60 (or something like that)

4 bubble walls

1 small black moor had for about 2 months

1 shubunkin, about 5 inches, had for about 7 months

1 ryukin/fantail, about7 or 8 inchs, had for about 3 years

ph-7.5

ammonia 0

nirtite 0

nitrate 30

water changes weekly

the ryukin/fantail, Gill, is the one with the tail problems. For almost 8 months now, his tail has had these whitish spots on it, they kind of come and go. sometiems they appear on his other finnage, but not much. honestly, it looks like ich, but it doesn't spread to anywhere else on his body and it is concentrated toward the end of his tail. the spots are bigger than ich is. Now, a hole has formed in his tail as well :crp i have tried everything i can think of...the last thing i tried was parasite meds, i did 3 rounds of that, and it didn't help. I can't get a pic because i have no digital cam and no scanner.

How much water are you changing weekly?

Do you ever see any of the other fish nibbling at the ryukin's fins? White marks can sometimes be the result of little injuries. Kind of like scarring.

i change about 25 - 30%

nope, they never nip at him...plus, this started back in september, and he was alone in the tank then.

If it were me, I would increase the water changes for a couple of weeks. Try doing two changes a week, of 25-30% each time. Rinse your filter material once per week, and if you have gravel, do some good gravel vacs.

Usually with fin problems, an improvement in water quality will help.

You could also use a low dose of salt. Use aquarium, kosher, coarse or pickling salt. A salt without any additives. Dose at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve the salt in aquarium water before adding. When you do your water changes, add the salt to replace what you have removed. So, if you take out 5 gallons of water, add another tablespoon of salt.

Please keep us posted on Gill's progress :)

thanks, i will try that :)

i tried increasing the salt to a .3% for a while, but that didn't do anything either. I just did a water change today, and I will do another maybe on sunday or monday.

I have found that salt at .3% can sometimes be hard on fins, particularly with fish that have long fins. If you are not combatting a parasite problem, I would use a low dose of salt.

Try increasing the frequency of the water changes and see if that helps.

Sometimes it takes weeks to see a significant change in fins. I have a fish that I purchased with a bad case of fin rot and it took six months for the fins to completely heal.

That sounds like what Whitie had on her tail, it would come and go for well over a year.

I think Whities might have been something viral?! I never did figure it out, and I posted and read this disease forum for over a year trying to figure it out.

I haven't had the white spots appear in awhile though, *knock on wood* but her tail always has splits in it, no matter how pristine the water is. I think the moor snacks on her tail to be honest. He doesn't see to well.

Good luck with your fish, I hope you figure out what the problem is.

the white spots aren's as bad, but the hole looks like it is getting bigger :crp

and suddenly there are these strange small spots in my tank that are COMPLETELY clean of all algae...like on rocks that are completely algae covered, there are small(some are bigger than others) round spots that are suddenly completely clean, and these weren't there yesterday :huh: