Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest goldenmom

I'm A Newbie, Please Help Before My Fish Dies :(

Guest goldenmom

Hello everyone,

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Lynn and I just started keeping Goldfish about three weeks ago. My husband and I filled a 100 gallon pond a few weeks ago and then headed to the LFS to get our fish. We originally went after Koi, but were told we would kill them by putting them in such a small pond, so we picked out two 4-5 inch Orandas and three 2 inch Orandas. I told the girl I had a garden statue that water trickled out of and asked if that would be sufficient oxygen for them and she said yes. I asked what to feed them and she sold me a bag of Wardley's floating pellets, and then off we went. Long story, short, after about two weeks, my smaller fish and one of the larger Orandas started getting raqgedy looking fins and I saw some white spots. I called another local pet shop and they advised getting a test kit. I tested the water and the nitrites were sky high, while the ammonia was next to normal. The PH out of the hose was 7.8. They suggested doing a 50% water exchange and putting salt in, which I did at 1TBSP./5gallons of water and to also add good bacteria to the water since my filter hadn't had a chance to build up the good bacteria it needed to stabilize the water. She also suggested moving the fish to a smaller 50 gal. pond we also have and adding salt and good bacteria to that before putting the fish in while doing the water exchange on the bigger pond. Well, the next day, I called the place where I got the fish very upset because my fish weren't looking so good and the manager explained that I probably got the Ich from their tanks and to go ahead and double the salt in both ponds. He said Goldfish love salt and that it would probably take care of the Ich since he doesn't like using chemicals. So, now we're at 2TBSP./ 5gallons. He suggested Pimafix for the fin rot and Maracide for the Ich if the salt didn't work. I did lose the calico and gold orandas, but my large Oranda is still hanging on. In the pond, she would hide and not eat. She would not really swim at all unless startled. Her tail is raggedy and her right gill doesn't seem to move like her left and she stayed at the top of the water as if she were floating. She also has some white spots on her tail that the salt doesn't seem to be getting rid of. He suggested I move her to a hospital tank, so we went out and bought a 10 gallon with a Top Fin 5/15 filter. We used the water out of the small pond that had been dosed with 2TBSP/ 5 gal. of salt, to fill this tank. Yesterday, the tests were all normal except for the ammonia which was .25. Tonight, the PH is 7.8, Ammonia is .50, Nitrite is .0, Nitrate is .0 and the temp is 78o. I've been using Pimafix for the last several days until today because I read somewhere here that there have been reports that fish have adverse reactions to it. I'm scared to use chemicals and am really beside myself as she is my fave fish of all. 'Margaret' is still swimming a little and not at the top the way she was. I noticed a long white thread-like thing trailing behind her and noticed that some of her scales seem to be missing. I'm worried about the ammonia level, but don't know what to do. I don't want to lose this fish as I have become quite attached to her. Can anyone give me a sequence of things I should do to help her? I know I should probably do a water exchange, but should I add more salt? Should I continue the Pimafix and start the Maracide? She's still not eating and I'm worried. Please help me if you can, I'm desperate to save her! Thanks so very much.

Lynn :)

P.S. All the other fish in the big pond are now doing great. I added a bubbler and plants and checked the water yesterday and all was normal. Now if I could just get my Margaret to feel better, I'd be ecstatic.

Lynn,

First off welcome to the site. We are glad to have new members here.

Your post is lengthy so I will try and cover as much as possible, but feel free if I miss something point it out. ;)

A couple things I have not noticed are.............do you have a filter on either pond? What are they if you do.

Are you familar with the cycle of a tank or pond?

THis you will need to get a firm grasp of.

I am not a pond expert by any means, but cycling is the same.

If I were you I would stop all meds and concentrate on good water quality. This is what is making the fish sick.

Water quality is everything to the fish, it can kill them or make them healthy.

I would also do a small water change and try to keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible and still allow it to cycle.

If you are not familar with the cycle and read up on it, we can answer any questions on it.

You sound like a good fishy mom who is trying real hard, look thru the site you will find tons of information on here to help you learn how to care for them.

PS the salt is fine, when doing a water change you will need to replace the salt you remove with the water changes. Salt doesn't evaporate, it gets removed only with water changes.

Guest goldenmom

Hi, Laurie,

Thanks so much for your reply. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I guess I was trying too hard to paint a complete picture. I am going to do a 25% water change and have already dechlorinated the new water and added the salt. I checked the water temp. in the tank and it is 78, but the new water is around 74 -76. Should I wait until the morning so it will be the same temp or will it harm the fish even more not to do it right away since the ammonia is up to .5? I'm just not sure if this is too much a temp change and if it would shock the fish. Thanks again.

Guest goldenmom

Laurie,

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer about the filter. The sick fish, Margaret, is in a tank with a Top Fin 5/15 filter. The pond has a square 12x12 biological filter, but I don't know the name of it. Thanks again.

Guest goldenmom

I've been posting about my Oranda with Ich and Fin Rot. The Ich is gone and her fins don't look as raggedy. She started swimming around normally and eating again yesterday, but today she periodically started swimming eratically. She's going after the floating thermometer and it looks like she's just more agitated and lively today. She's in a hospital tank that I have done two 25% water changes in the last two days. I noticed a long thin poo yesterday that was light colored, but I just read that this can possibly mean problems. She is orange with a black dorsal fin, front fins and tail, and she has black spots all over her side. Now, I don't know if these spots are something else or just part of her coloring or if she might have a bacterial infection because of her poo and the way she is swimming. She's about 4" long and I just don't know enough to diagnose her or what symptoms to look for, but I do know that yesterday all seemed well and today she just isn't acting as peaceful. How do I know if she has dropsy, or what is pineconing, or how do I know what meds or medicated food to use? How do I know if she has a bacterial infection or fungus? Now, she's heading up to the top of the water to get a breath of air and she keeps butting the floating thermometer again. I feel so helpless and I really need to get this right or I'm afraid I'll mess up and lose her. I tested my water this morning and the params are:

Ph- 7.4

Ammonia - .50 (was 1.0 before water change)

Nitrite - .0

Nitrate - .0

10 gallon tank with Top Fin 5/15 filter

1 TBSP salt/ 5 gal.

water temp - 77/78 degrees

She looks like she has a few scales missing, but this developed when she got the Ich and Fin Rot. I'm getting paranoid because I don't know how to diagnose what her problem is, therefore I don't know how to treat it. Please help me do the right thing.

How long have you had this fish? The black could be healing ammonia burns. You should do water changed until you get the ammonia down to 0. My fish did the flashing and eratic swimming when they had fluckes - this is a possibility. You would know if she were pineconeing - her scales would really be sticking out and she would look bigger than normal. Afraid I can't help much more than that - someone will be along before long who can. Good luck.

Also, I've been gone for a while, but best I can remember the long light colored poo could be a bacterial infection.

Guest goldenmom

Hi, Lachfa,

I've had her about three and a half or four weeks. She started out in my pond, but noone told me about how to take care of the water, pond cycling, or anything before I added the fish. I learned the hard way after I lost two fish. I moved her into a hospital tank when she became lethargic about 5 days ago and have been testing the water everyday. I guess tomorrow I'll do a 50% change as the ammonia level is not coming down below .50 for the last two days (it got up to 1.0 yesterday). I think she's trying to scratch on the bottom rocks and is very agitated. She'll swim to the top and then to the bottom, but isn't relaxing. She's attacking the floating thermometer as if she's mad at it and then skimming the top of the water with her mouth open. What the heck happened since yesterday??????? :(

Sounds like she could very well have flukes - they are a pain in the butt, but curable. I cured two of my fish with the help of Toothless and Errrika and some prazi. Here is the link to diseases: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/disease.html or you can do a search and read old threads on the subject. Good luck.

Guest goldenmom

Lachfa, where could she pick up these flukes? Her poor littel sides look so ragged where the scales are missing. I just tested the ammonia level and it's about .50 if I'm reading the color correctly. I just feel so bad for her. When I go over to her tank, she comes to the side as if she's asking for help and it's breaking my heart that I can't do anything. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Lynn :(

She could have brought them from the fish store. Let me find the link to my thread when I had them......off to search

Guest goldenmom

I just did a search and back in March, someone suggeste a salt concentration of .3% or 1TBSP per gallon. I have it at 1TBSP/5gallons. Should I pour some more salt into the aquarium or would it burn her? I have salt, so that is something I could do right away. Thanks!!

Guest goldenmom

I just added another TBSP of salt per 5 gallons to up the concentration a little, but would 1 per gallon make it into too strong a solution and be more like a dip than a medicinal dose?? Thanks everyone.

(the original amount was 1TBSP per 5 gallons)

Edited by goldenmom

You would now have a concentration level of .2%. Dont use 1 tablespoon per gallon, thats way too much. tomorrow add another tablespoon per 5 gallons and this will give you .3%

Keep it at this for a week and see if it helps her.

If she is trying to scratch her head then she may have gill flukes. Is she breathing more rapidly and trying to scratch her gills at all?

your not showing any nitrate levels, what are the levels if you tested from a cup your tap water?

Also, just making sure, you are not using table salt correct?

Don't forget to add salt when you do water changes also.

How is she doing?

Guest goldenmom

Hi, Lachfa,

Well, I'm getting ready to do another water change because my ammonia was back up to 1.0 again this morning. I checked my tap water ammonia and it's at .0, so that's not the culprit. My nitrites and nitrates are still .0, so all is well there. I added another TBSP of salt yesterday to try and soothe her a little and Sandy suggested I add yet another today and that should be sufficient. She calmed down yesterday after I added the salt, ate well this morning, but is still a little more active than might be normal. I am ordering Medigold, Plazi?, and ProGold from the Goldfish Connection so I will have meds on hand. She's not bumping her thermometer like she did yesterday, but I just don't feel she's as peaceful as she should be. Her sides look like someone scraped them and took some scales off and her tail fins still have some white on the edges, although they don't look stringy and ragged as they did. I don't know if I should start the Pimafix again, use my Maracide I have on hand or what. I don't know if I would be able to go through all you did for your fish as it totally intimidates me and I honestly feel I don't know what I am doing. I'm so afraid of stressing her out even more. Do you think 25% water change is enough and should I start any meds yet or wait until the stuff comes from the GFC? Thanks so much for your concern, I really appreciate it. And thanks, Sandy, for your reply and suggestions so very much :) Oh, and Lachfa, I am SO sorry to hear about your Angel. It must have been heart breaking for you.

Guest goldenmom

Sandy,

I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions right away, but I had to leave yesterday. 'Margaret' was bumping her floating thermometer like crazy yesterday, but isn't doing it today so far. Yesterday she was skimming the rocks on the bottom, so I don't know if she was trying to scratch her head or gills or doing something else. I know that a few days ago, it SEEMED that her left gill wasn't moving, but her right one was. They are now both moving, but being the novice that I am, I couldn't tell you if she is gasping for air or not. I haven't tested my tap water for nitrates, so do you think I should? Once again, thanks for your concern and reply.

Guest goldenmom

Oh, I forgot to mention that last night I saw her poo. It was very long and I would say two thirds of it was a long, thin white string and the other third was the color of her food and looked thicker and segmented. All in all, it had to be about two inches long or more. I went to get a piece of tissue so I could scoop it out and examine it, but by the time I got back into the room (about 20 seconds), it was gone, so I don't know if she ate it or what happened to it. I didn't know if this info could help any in her diagnosis.

I would be careful not to over medicate, just my opinion. The salt dips aren't that big of a deal, i freaked a little when I had to do my first one, but it was nothing. She sounds like she is doing better, hopefully you have comforted her. I did the bucket method, it was so much easier to do and I didn't lose my cycle (but it sounds like you don't have one yet). Since the tank is cycling that might be some added stress since she is already ill.

Guest goldenmom

Thought I would give an update on Margaret. She was resting at the bottom when I came home this afternoon, but after I did my water change, she seemed to settle down. I added the 1TBSP./5 gallons again as Sandy suggested and right now she's swimming around a lot, but not darting and bumping the thermometer like she did yesterday. I don't like the looks of her tail again, as while it doesn't look frayed, it just looks so ragged. She keeps going to the top and tries to gulp air or so it seems. Then, little bubbles will come out of her mouth. She ate some peas for a treat, but I also noticed a long thin, white string trailing behind her. I'm just wondering if I should start the Pimafix again. I have ordered Plazi and Medigold this morning, but is there anything else I should do before it gets here? Thanks so much for your advice on this.

Prazi - not Plazi ;)

Do you know how long it will take to get the meds? Where are you located, maybe someone can get you some before then. The poo sounds like a bacterial infection. See the poop link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/GoldfishPoop.html

Guest goldenmom

I just got a notification that the meds had shipped. She is swimming very peacefully right now, but I did notice a long string of white poo trailing behind her awhile ago. If this is a bacterial infection, how do I treat it, and should I still use the Prazi ;) in case it's flukes? I mean, how would I really know if she has flukes and would it harm her to treat it if she didn't? Right now, though, I'm concerned about this white poo and what I need to do to cure it. I've added 3TBSP/5gal. at this point, so I don't imagine I should add anymore salt. Thanks, Lachfa, I really appreciate it. :)

Treat her with the prazi, alot of people use it when they get new fish so they don't spread it to their other fish. You can bring a lot of nasty in from the pet store. To treat the bacterial infection feed her the medicated food when you get it. Mine get that now and then and seem to heal up quickly. I have been watching my fish close after losing Angel and one of them had the thin white poo and it cleared up in a few days but I am still feeding medicated food. Keep me posted. Glad I can help.

:) Hi,sorry to hear your fish isn't feeling so well.Lachfa has offered some good advice so far. I would continue the water changes while waiting for the Prazi,and Medi-Gold.About the salt,if your fish does have flukes,the salt is probably helping combat it somewhat.Just be careful when adding salt.You only replace the amount of salt that you take out in water for the water change,if that makes sense,and you can't add the full doses all at one time. There are a few good articles on how to use salt,and do the Prazi-which I would definately follow through on,and read.Also treat the fish with the Medi-Gold for a period of 14 days.That will help any bacterial problems ,& help keep secondary infections from setting in.Good luck! ;)

Guest goldenmom

Hi, Sharon,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have only been adding the amount of salt for the amount of water that I take out and am at 3TBSP/5gal at this point. I added the last TBSP/5gal yesterday and it really seemed to calm her down, although I didn't do it gradually:( I have been testing my water every day and the only thing that I can't get down to .0 is the ammonia. After my 25% water change, it's still at 5.0. My meds won't get here until the 27th, but so far yesterday and today, she is swimming peacefully and doesn't seem to be in too much distress. She's also eating well. I'll do anything to get her well. I named her Margaret after Margaret 'hot lips' Hoolihan in the Mash series because she is a gold Oranda with black fins, but her little mouth is heavily outlined in black. Her eyes are also lined in black and when you look at her, it's like a little clown face instead of a fish. Just too cute!!! Soooo, I have really become endeared to her and want to do everything I can to get her well and back out in her 100gallon pond with her buddies, although after keeping her in a tank inside, she just may have to become an inside pet :rolleyes: Once again, thanks so much and have a wonderful day.