Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

What Kind Of Pond Vac?

Since we don't have a bottom drain, and for now no time whatsoever to install a retro fit drain, we are looking into one of those pond vacs....

Which brands are the ponders here using, if at all? Our pond measures 16 ft x 8 ft, so it should be something that has a bit of play when it comes to hose length....

Any suggestions?

I didn't know pond vac's existed. Very interesting.

If you are talking about the same vac's used for aquariums, they don't work on ground level ponds, since gravity isn't a strong enough motor. I would actually like an answer to this as well, although the only answers I have recieved is that a net is the only manual way to best clen up the guk on the bottom of ponds.

Andrea,

I have a pool filter with bio media in it, thus I am going to buy pool vacuum hose and a pool vacuum. My filter has a waste setting on it so when I vacuum I put it on that setting and the vacuumed out water is sent out the same hose as the backflush goes out (not back to the pond).

In order to find the different hoses and vacuum heads available I did a go0gle search for pool spa vacuum hose. This is the cheapest way to go that I've seen. I know that you can buy a regular vacuum for your pond, they had a great article on one in KOICarp magazine last year. They are EXPENSIVE though, for the good ones.

Don't buy the vacuum that hooks to a hose and has a small net sack to catch the debi, I have one of those and it sux!

Scott

(oh and by the way, it's nice to get some warm weather here!)

Thanks, Scott!! I wasn't thinking of buying one with those little bags attached anyway - just one straight getting out the dirt onto the lawn, or whatever.

I think I am gonna snoop around a little bit at HomeDepot, see what they have in their pool section...Great, just what I need, another trip to homedepot. That place is almost as addicting as a petstore! :rofl

Good question. I notice as my fish are growing they are producing much more waste and I need to do something with it. What? well i am not sure..... The frogs keep it stirred up too and it keeps the pond very murky. I am considering pumping all of the water out and putting some of it back in after I clean the bottom really well and hopefully not lose my cycle. I hate doing that....... :blink: And since I no longer have horses I don't have the stock tanks to store the fish in when I do this.... :unsure:

I've got the same set up as the koi farm display tubs. They have more, larger fish than me so I'll ask them how they get the muck off the bottom.

Do we know Bonnie!!! The "evil" of all plant ladies - the evil is that there is always on her site that I like! :lol: Her koi flags disappeared so fast, it made my head spin! :thud

So, the way I read it, she has the lined basket, and pumps water to the basked via a pump. The lining in the basket catches the small debris, while the clean water escapes through the slits in the basket, right?

Not a bad idea, and surely inexpensive!

You got it! Yes, great idea. Also, her husband is in the pond stirring things up, not sure if you can get him to do the same for your pond ;) .

I tried this last year, it does work BUT I didn't use a large enough basket. If you don't get a large enough basket you are constantly cleaning out fabric because it backs up. I also might have gotten too thick a fabric as well? Plus maybe my pump that I used pumped the water too fast? LOL So many factors in this to get it to work smoothly. But it has to work, and obviously a great idea. If you try it let us know how it goes.

Scott

Oh, my hubby would do that no problem. He is usually the one with his arms in the filters up to his elbow, cleaning out debris. Not to mention the weekly water changes. Yep, thats hubby!

Sounds like a bit of experimenting is neccessary to get it just right....

I did a pond vac today and 15% water change. Of course my "pond" is really just an oversized tub but the regular gravel siphon did the trick in my case.

Andrea

I was at the local swimming pool dealer last week and saw one of these, guess who I thought of :)

23921.jpg

I told myself I wasn't going to forget the name of this vacuum so that I could post it on here for you. Of course, I forgot LOL I had to do a web search and find it. Anyhow, it looks good? Click on the picture to go to the pool buster home page.

Of course you can find anything on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4380290199&rd=1

Did you try Bonnies idea? I was wondering if you had and if it worked. I finally got my vacuum hooked up. I bought 50' of pool vacuum hose and a pool vacuum attatchment with brushes.

28_2.JPG

30_1_b.JPG

it works great! I was finally able to hook it up today and try it out. I was pleased with how well it cleaned things up. I had string algae and some leaves that blew into the pond, got it all right out. Of course it clogs up the leaf basket real fast so that is one thing that I'll have to watch.

Scott

Edited by Scott