Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kat

Drop Size Affects Accuracy?

Just needed to whinge - I bought a new test kit because (I use the ammonia one a lot - 8 drops per two bottles for each test ahhh!) the older one (over a year old) doesn't seem accurate. I think because it's finishing in a bit, and the drops are different in size or something. Isn't this dodgy because every other test chemical will also eventually reach that state. I feel like it's a waste of expensive chemicals. Is this normal? I thought these things don't expire that fast.

In the two bottle AP ammonia test, the two bottles have slightly different drop sizes. I've been thru several and it appears they're supposed to be like that.

You are right, Betty - the drop size is specifically designed like that. It is also important that when you do your "drop" it is from the bottle held vertically upside down - not at an angle - to get the proper size drop and thus the proper mix of chemicals to give a good reading.

The reason there is the same amount of liquid in the two bottles is that it will be close to what you need. From the manufacturer's point of view, it is far cheaper for the same type machine to fill the same type of bottle for each part of a test, than it is to save a little chemical in each one, but have to design a different machine and purchase a different bottle. You will throw out a small amount of the mismatched quantities at the end of your supply......it is expected.

:)

The direcitons on my bottle say to hold the dropper horizontally.

What brand are you using?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. I'm not sure if i read it wrong, maybe i'm wrong.

Opps, sorry, i was wrong, it says vertically :D

*slaps self. :wall

Hey! No hitting!!! :lol:

Whew. I thought I would have to dope slap myself! ;)

I do hold them vertically. I guess with the last few drops left it won't be accurate anymore, due to the air pressure in the bottle etc etc perhaps :blink: