Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Obsidian

Goldfish Show!

Hey all,

I just had to share... I am going to be going to a goldfish show this weekend!!!!! :rockon FINALLY, I can see GOLDFISH at a fish show (instead of cichlids and other trops)

For anyone in the Southeast TX area, the Texas Koi and Fancy Goldfish Society is having a fish sale April 9-10. It looks as if its being held at Water Garden Gems over east of San Antonio.

I am going to try to pick up some goldies.... from the website:

Also Mike Christenson who owns a fish farm in Louisiana will be selling a mixture of goldfish that he breds and imports.  All imports will be quarantined for at least 6 weeks and probably for longer than that.  A brief list of some of the varieties that will likely be available are: Orandas; purple, blue, red, red caps, maybe some calico, and possibly a few panda Ranchus; at least a few calico, Lionheads, Possibly some assorted bubble eyes or dragon eyes and Pearlscales. The majority of the fish will be babies in the 2-3" range and will likely be priced at $7.50 each or 4 for $25.  He will also have a few larger fish at 4-5" or so that will probably be in the $15-30 range

Plus there are raffles throughout the day! YAY! :hi5

:newfish

Info here: http://www.texaskoi.com/2005%20Fish%20Sale%20Information.htm

Oh, that's so cool! I wish I could go. My parents don't understand goldfish though. They always ask me why I have to go on this site every day!

wow this is the closest to me show i have heard of! still a little too far though. i live in southeastern new mexico and nothing like that ever happen around here. in fact i haven't seen any members close to me either. maybe one of these days ill post that question. cool thought. have fun and take pictures pleeez. :)

Darn! I am in North Texas and there's no way I can convince my husband on such short notice. I didn't think there was anything happening that close to me. Thanks for the post though, maybe next year I can make it now that I know it exists.

Obsidian you are so lucky!! I hope you will take some pics to post for all of us that can't get to a show.

All those nice orandas, sounds like you will have a hard choice. I am waiting patiently to hear what you bring back.

Hey! I have relatives that I never met that live in San Antonio...Think they'd let me bunk with them for the weekend? :lol:

Do they ever have any goldfish shows In Toledo????

Obisidian, that is one great show, you lucky goldie keeper, you! :happydance Is Tommy coming as well again?

Oh, oh, and remember to bring your camera!! We all love to see pics, and Koko usually puts up a special page for all the attended shows! :thumbup

Ranchugirl.... Tommys not going to be there :-( Hes currently in China, so it may be to much for back to back trips. It stinks.

But I shall DEFINITELY take pictures, and I am hoping to bring home some of those panda ranchus :)

Cheers!

Guest labrat99

Obsidian-

We live in the same city! What a coincidence. (co-inky-dink??) I live in Newport.

Anyway, I looked at the link that you provided for the San Antonio show. It looks to be heavily geared toward Koi.

I may still try to make it out there Saturday. If they have quality Goldfish for sale it would be worth it. I've never even seen Purple Orandas or Panda Ranchus.

I just wanted to let you know there is another Goldfish fancier in League City. Take care.

Labrat

Alright! I thought I was the only one down around here ... I will be going Saturday too, planning on leaving way too early in the morning and being back by evening. I definitely want to pick up at least 2 fish. Yep, the show is geared towards Koi, unfortunately... its because its a 'special' sale because of the rescued koi from the earthquake. It looks like the 14 Annual show later this year will be better.

Have you gotten any fish from Tommy Hui? Hes apparently the local breeder round here. I haven't gotten a chance (or the money :)) to check out his fish.

I am new to town (moved in 4 mos ago), do you have any pet stores you could recommend? Theres one pet store owner who special ordered some ranchus for me (I am 'into' them right now), I took 3 out of the 6 he brought it. Plus hes got a big tank of young ryukins and orandas (all red/white) that some one gave him. Good quality ones, he also treats the fish real nice, no sick ones if he can help it. But hes a very small fish store that just opened... not to much influx of stock.

Goldies just aren't big round here!

Goldfish I purchased from the store (so you can get an idea of the stock):

bigcalandgold.jpg

littlecalandgold.jpg

Ahhhh!!! I'm in Austin but I don't have a ride!!!

CRAP! If only!!!!!!!

= (

Guest labrat99

Obsidian -

Your ranchus are nice fish - I'm a sucker for Calicos of all types. I'm more of an Oranda fancier myself, but I do like all Goldfish.

It is cool to know that there is at least one other goldfish fancier in the area. I really don't have a specific suggestion as to a local fish store. Believe it or not, the fish that I currently have all came from either the local vvvv or nooppee. I check both each week and lately neither has had any decent fish. I wish I knew who supplied them because a while back they both had some very nice fish. I'll try to post some photos soon to give you an idea. Where did you get the ranchus? I'd like to check out the Orandas they have.

As to the San Antonio show, I'm a definite maybe. I might make it a day trip or I might go to New Braunfels Sat. night and see Stoney Larue at the River Road Ice House, then back home Sunday. That would complicate things if I bought any fish though. If you'd like to talk at the show I'll be wearing a gray ballcap with a maroon "RR" logo on front. Take care.

Labrat

Awh purple! Its ok, this is small compared to the thing in September... plan for that!

Labrat, I got the orandas from.... oh man I forgot the name... Its on Hwy 3 between Bay Area and El Dorado, on left if heading north. Its a hole in the wall place, small strip mall, white and blue buildings, on the southern end. Its not much to look at, its small, but they are super nice and treat their fish well. Not a great selection though. They only have 3 gold ranchus left, and the orandas and ryukins I said earlier. His goldie tanks are overstocked because he was dumped with these fish from someone moving. But hes a nice guy, he has given me free plants for being a good customer and special ordered fish and tanks for me :) . He only takes cash though... he *just* got setup and doesn't have credit card enabled. Hes not even in the yellow pages yet :) .

Goodluck, I will keep an eye out for you in San Antonio!

Obsidian, mail me that calico ranchu, and I will never bug you again, EVER! :rofl Boy, that chubby darling is a beauty! :heart

Soo, sooo, soo frustrating, I'm in Dallas and can't get to San Antonio. So close yet so far. Makes me sort of itchy. LOL

Carrie

Ranchugirl..... *grabs calico ranchu* Its MINE :rofl

Labrat another nice place for goldies is City Pets, be careful though and check for fish lice.

The fish sale wasn't *great* I actually liked the store's (that the sale was held at) goldies better.... they were larger, easier to see and had a bit more variety. I didn't like the whole 'pond' setup either. It only allowed top view of the fish, so you had to pull them to look at them from the side. No pictures, there really wasn't anything to snap, although the koi were HUGE! Ah well.... I did get 4 more fish :newfish three from the breeder, a white lionhead, a calico lionhead, and a calico ranchu. They aren't the most fabulous fish, but they were nice :) , all of them are babies, so I get to watch them grow to monsters. I also picked up one of the stores big black ranchus... now that one was NICE. Loving him right now, definitely a male :) . Pictures of new fish next post!

I think I might bring a few fish for the show in September, depending on how they all shape up.... *scary thought though*

Cheers!

I wasn't able to get all 4 of them, but I did get the new white and black ones.

Enjoy!

Black ranchu

blackranchu2.jpg

blackranchu.jpg

white lionhead

babyranchu.jpg

Oh and were do you live hun.....I think i just might come and see that little black guy.......getting a big bucket for him.......You wonldnt notice him gone would you :tomuch:

Guest labrat99

I never made it out of town. I spent the whole weekend doing stuff around the house and thinking "if I left right now I'd be in San Antonio in 3 hours...". :)

Anyway, it looks like you did get some decent fish. I like both the black ranchu and the white lionhead in your pics. Did I understand right that they had the goldfish in pools instead of aquariums? That sounds like a real pain for picking out fish. Did you happen to get contact info from the guy selling the goldfish ? I think they had posted somewhere in the preshow info that he was from Louisiana. I'd might like to try and visit his place sometime and check out his operation.

BTW - Obsidian I love your signature lines.... :rofl Very Cute! Take care.

Labrat

Koko... I know I love him a bunch.... Unfortunately he killed one of my females from excessive chasing. :cry1 I have another one who is on the mend from the stress of it. Not fun. Still love the fish though, but hes seperated until he gets used to the temp change (which triggered spawning)

Labrat.. yep, the pools were a pain, you could select fish and put them in an aquarium for a side view though, so it wasn't all bad. Sorry no contact info on the vendor.

Cheers!

Guest labrat99

Overall, how would you rate the show? I'm curious - I might try to make the one in September. Maybe be even enter the gf class depending on how well my fish do over the Summer.

Thanks for the tips on the pet stores... I'll check them out. Take care.

Labrat

Well it wasn't a show, just a bunch of fish for sale. I think for what it was, it was nice... I am thinking of entering maybe two of my fish this fall as well at the actual show. But I am all worried because the last show I went to in Pittsburgh had a bunch of sick goldies... they just didn't handle the stress of it well. They were gorgeous, but you could tell a few weren't doing so good.

Cheers!

Guest labrat99

Hi Obsidian,

I just remembered that on the web page describing the goldfish that would be available for sale they mentioned "purple Orandas". Did you see anything like that?

I've never seen a purple Oranda. I assume they're chocolate and look kind of purple maybe? :yeah:

Take care.

Labrat