Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coyote ugly

Question!

My ranchus just layed eggs this morning and I am really excited to raise baby ranchus this time.My tank is currently salted to 0.3% as I am treating for possible costia and heated to 24.5*C which I think triggered the spawning.My question is,will the eggs have a chance to survive with this much salt water?Thanks...

I was reading an article in barnes & nobles last thursday, it stated that fish eggs have a lessened chance of getting fungus when in a semi salty water that's ideal for GFs recovery, so i say leave you are better off with the salt rather then changing the water and therefore the temperature. :D

I'm not ranchugirl but i hope i helped.

Edited by maniacholic

Guest nz_turtle_girl

i always wanted to add salt but dont know how to get the 0.3%?

Cathy, all I know is what the breeder told me - salting it to 0.1%. He didn't mention anything higher than that, although I mentioned in my question that there might have been an Ich problem in the parent tank of a member. I don't know what effect a higher percentage of salt can have on the fry.

Upsetting the fry with a water change right now doesn't seem too good of an idea, so I would just leave them alone for now. I would refill any evaporating water, otherwise the salt percentage gets even higher, since salt does not evaporate like water does.

Cool, ranchu fry!! That is something I am still working on, but so far, only shubunkin fry. The 2. round just hatched today. The ranchu are just happy about their extra food, but they don't think about spawning yet..... :rolleyes:

Turtle girl, to get it to 0.3% solution, take 1 teaspoon per 1 gallon of water. That gets you 0.1%. Wait 12 hours, do the same dosage again (=0.2%), and the last dosage after yet another 12 hours (=0.3%).... :)

Cathy, all I know is what the breeder told me - salting it to 0.1%. He didn't mention anything higher than that, although I mentioned in my question that there might have been an Ich problem in the parent tank of a member. I don't know what effect a higher percentage of salt can have on the fry.

Upsetting the fry with a water change right now doesn't seem too good of an idea, so I would just leave them alone for now. I would refill any evaporating water, otherwise the salt percentage gets even higher, since salt does not evaporate like water does.

Cool, ranchu fry!! That is something I am still working on, but so far, only shubunkin fry. The 2. round just hatched today. The ranchu are just happy about their extra food, but they don't think about spawning yet..... :rolleyes:

306643[/snapback]

Thank you very much Ranchugirl :)

Their spawning was totally unexpected!

I'm not sure if the eggs are fertile or not though since this is their first spawn and both are still rather small 2" but I still have my fingers crossed that they hatch :D

More shubunkin frys! Wow! How big are the first batch now?

Thanks Maniacholic for the info :)

Ranchu babies.....Ooooooo! I just love their chubby little faces. Can't resists them! Keep us up on pics (if they hatch of course) :D

Good luck with them, Coyote!

Edited by lcwinne

110-1054_AUT.jpg

sorry :)

Edited by coyote ugly

Sorry to hear that your eggs are doing so well. I really had my fingers crossed for you.

So what do you have to do now? Do you have to clean the whole tank out? My gf's have never spawned so I know nothing about any of this.

Thank you lcwinne :)

Since I separated the eggs,the main tank does not have to be entirely cleaned out.I found eggs with fungus in the main tank but I just picked those out and did a gravel vac. :D I'll surely try again next time.I think ranchu frys are going to be cool B)

Sorry about the eggs. Were they all fungused?

Unfortunately,yes :( not even one was good....I guess Dale was still too weak to be able to fertilize them?! :blink:

Oh, darn, Cathy, that stinks! I cross my fingers for the next time! :bighug

Yep it stinks :( I'll try again as soon as Dale is fully recovered!

Thanks Ranchugirl :)

BTW: you may have been better off without that batch as it is most definitly proned to defects being as the parents were just recovering from parasites so don't be so upset :)

I guess you're right :) I'll try again next time.Thanks Maniacholic :D