Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ismelllikefish

Big Rocks Or Small

Guest Ismelllikefish

Is it better to have Larger size gravel or smaller gravel in a goldfish tank?

Guest VxShady

The bigger like river rocks are best. Goldfish have a nasty habit of sifting through rocks and getting them stuck in their mouth. Its better to have ones that are to big for the goldfish to pick up. Either that or even a bare bottom tank.

Guest VxShady

The bigger like river rocks are best. Goldfish have a nasty habit of sifting through rocks and getting them stuck in their mouth. Its better to have ones that are to big for the goldfish to pick up. Either that or even a bare bottom tank.

Guest Ismelllikefish

Instead of really large size pebbles they cant pic up, what about some type of sand or really small size gravel that is too small to get stuck?

Sand is not really the way to go with Goldfish.I know that personally because I had to use a quarrantine tank for a goldie that I bought my daughter.It was the only available tank at the time.Goldfish spend alot of time sifting through the bottom looking for food.Even though they spit the sand back out,I could still see alot of it coming out through the goldies gills,and that can't be a good thing.If tyou go with gravel,you have two options. Like mentioned,river rocks,or you can use SMALL gravel that won't get caught in your goldies mouth. I use very small gravel myself,and really haven't had a problem with it.There is always barebottom,but so far,I haven't found myself to like that look yet. You have a few options,so just pick what is most pleasing to your eyes. Good Luck! :)

I had this decision to make, i finally chose small gravel. My reasons were larger rocks could be more difficult to clean, and for me planting into small gravel was alot easier.

I had small gravel til i went bare bottomed, even my small fish had no problems spitting it out although they did use to pick up more then one bit at a time so i don't think small gravel necessarily = no risk of it getting stuck in their mouth.