Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kimberlysc

I've Finally Given Up!

Guest Kimberlysc

I want to thank everyone for all your kind words and help on this message board but I have finally come to the conclusion that I will no longer have goldfish. The simple matter is I continue to kill them. It horrifies me. I have a tropical fish tank in my home also and have never had any problems. With goldfish, one after another continues to die.

Goldfish was becoming a hobby for me when last year I put a few comets in my small pond outside on my deck. Weather here gets to cold in winter and we are only talking about a 32 gallon pond which isn't deep at all so I opted to bring my 2 goldies inside. Shortly after bringing them inside they died. Eventually purchased 2 other goldfish (small orandas), they to didn't live very long. My aquarium was a 10 gallon, my filter was a power filter for a 20 gallon tank, had live plants (java fern, anubias and amazon sword,), good filtration, did my water changes, made sure to add my water conditioner, and no matter what I did, fish died.

I often wonder about water changes. Usually did 20-30 percent water change, added start conditioner to water. The thing is I always used a 1 gallon plastic jar for adding water and it's very hard to measure conditioner for just a gallon, is there a possibility of adding to much water conditioner? I'm assuming 1 gallon of water would take just a few drops. I'm grasping at straws here, I just don't know. I think it would be a good idea if I completely tear the tank down, sterilize and set up again if I ever want to have anymore fish. I just hate having to go through the cycling again.

How big were the fish? Usually everyone here will say you should have 10 gals per goldfish. Personally, I had 2 in a 10 gal for about 2 years but they never grew. If it's just temporary, life 3 months, then I would think twice a week 30% water changes would keep the water clean and not stunt their growth horribly. (And I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying that) But if you are going to keep them inside for longer that a few months go for the 10 per fish rule.

I am really sorry you have lost your fish and feel so despondent just now. i too cant keep goldies for very long and i think its because my water is too soft and acidic.

did you follow the cycle of the tank through before adding the fish? sorry dont want to tell you things that you already know.

i have lost 4 goldies since last june and i am now on my last one. when he goes i wont be keeping anymore.

i too have a tropical tank and i have kept all of those going nicely.

i hope this doesnt mean you wont be coming back though :huh: you can help with others on the forum and the tropical section too. :)

Guest Kimberlysc

Well Sandy it looks like we are in the same boat. It's hard to understand because you have one tank that does so well and another that's a disaster. I've lost 4 since October.

I do think I will clean everything out and eventually set the tank back up and get a nice community tank going. (kind of wanted to do this anyway, I can't stand the gravel I picked) AS for now I will enjoy my betta (had him since December 2003), and my platys

And Jcohrs, I've never had more than 2 small goldfish at a time in tank, the 2 died very quickly, then purchased 2 more fish at different times and again they died. I was following the 1 fish per 10 gallon rule.

Kimberly I am sorry to hear you were having so many problems.

I have found that while yes gf are a challenge once you get the water right you can sit and relax alittle.

Yes gf have many more health issues, but I think it has alot to do with the fish you pick.

I feel bad that you can't enjoy the hobby as many of us can.

I hope you stay apart of the board, there is plenty of people who just have tropicals.

I am sorry that you are so discouraged and have had so much heartache with your goldfish. I, too, have tropical tanks and goldfish tanks, and the goldfish tanks really are the more challenging.

This is just my personal experience, but with fancy goldfish I have found ryukins, fantails, pom-poms, pearlscales and, believe it or not, bubble eyes (providing you protect their bubbles) to be the hardiest for me. I have found headgrowth fish (orandas, lionheads and ranchus) to be the least hardy for me.

I hope you stay with the board and join us over at the tropical fish or betta section :D

I too feel sad that you've had so much trouble keeping goldfish. I know how discouraging it is. I wish I could offer some advice that would help. I'm sure you have done all your water checks from the tank and from the tap. I think it can be a real challenge sometimes because of the tap water. I know I have trouble with my ph because of it.

Please don't stop coming to this board. Like Sandy said you can be of help with the tropicals. I'm having trouble with my guppies. Another sick one. I probably won't get anymore guppies after the ones I have now. So I know how you feel.

sorry to here you are giving them up but at least you still have some fish

i to stoped keeping goldfish some time ago and i have just stayed with tropical fish

well goodluck

Im sorry to hear for your loss. I had a 30 gallon up and running for three years with three of my favorite fish. I had recently bought a 55 gallon for them, cycled it, and my BF thought he would suprise me with two new fish to add. Well, once they got in, three days later my tank was overrun by ick. I tried everything possible, but all of my fish died. i was so upset, I swore I would never get goldfish again. I decided I was going to buy tropicals after I cleaned out the tank and cycled it again. Well my BF and I went to the petstore and he would not help me at all pick out any fish. He dragged me over to the goldie section, and I caved in and ended up buying two beautiful goldies. I now have three in the tank (bought another a week later) and im so happy I did. I was in the same boat you were, but decided I couldnt give up. Goldies have such great personalities. Hopefully one day you change your mind, and try again. I think all of us had the same problems when we started out. I remember when I first started out, and I bought like four goldies for this tiny tank, all died but one. He was the last to die when ick overran my 30 gallon.

Again, im sorry for your loss.

I know exactly how you feel, i nearly gave up after loosing my first three fishes to ich, two comets and one shubunkin, ready to give up, and stick with tropicals i fell in love with a lionhead, thank god she's been fine, its so hard to continue when you have such bad luck, i found its just luck if you get a healthy fish. Sorry for your losses.