Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DataGuru

The New 125 Is Finally Set Up!

Yea, I hear that patience is a virtue! :rofl

Since I don't think the walstad-type tank (with topsoil) is going to work for the goldies, I need to do some research on what the best plant friendly substrate would be for goldies since they're always browsing around in the substrate.

No, I don't think it would be a true walstad-type tank without the soil substrate or with other filters on the tank. Her system works because the plants and nitrifying bacteria in the soil handle the ammonia rather than external filters. It mainly gets converted to plant mass instead of to nitrAtes. However, there are other ways to do natural planted tanks without topsoil. The 55 has an UGF and plants potted in topsoil. I was hoping to get some of the benefits of topsoil with the potted plants tho it's really hard to tell if they've had an effect on nitrAte levels since once nitrAte hits 40ppm I can't tell the difference in color on the AP test. They plants definitely like the topsoil tho. potted, I don't worry so much about gasses. In fact I hardly ever see any bubbles from the substrate with the potted plants.

Paul: I've had the UGF in the 55 going for a year and a half now and keep it well vacuumed so I don't have much debris in the gravel or under the UGF plate. I'm using a HOB and a powerhead to suck water thru it, so I don't worry about lack of water flow.

Graham: so what's the Eco-Complete like?

I'm lovin' it! But, I have not used any other kind so my opinion is moot!

I was just going to PM that I might have some to send you if you want to try it... but I still have not decided yet if I am going to put it in GN's tank. I will let you know - b/c if I do not use - I would love to be free it and then you could try it!

NO Washing!!! The killifish love it b/c it provides blackwater (which is, I think, just a term for very soft, alkaline water)? THey are thriving! I have not done anything for the plants are they look great -so I guess they really like the substrate, too. I think it is really interesting that it comes in live water! So, your plant nutrients and everything they need to cycle is immediately in your tank - Nice! It looks good, too. :)

Yea, I think blackwater has lots of tannins and is soft and acidic. I'd bet tho, you'd still need to dose with water ferts when using it. The high tech substrates aren't even close to complete nutritional sources for plants tho they're better than plain gravel.

So would it kick up any fine particles from goldies browing in it?

Is it pretty heavy or is it lighter than gravel?

I'd considered teh schultz aquatic soil, but I hear it's pretty light, so I'd be goldies uprooting plants would be a problem at first.

Hi! I did use it, afterall - GN misses mucking in the gravel too much! :heart (and my tank is ugly - I need the cover!).

I'd bet tho, you'd still need to dose with water ferts when using it. The high tech substrates aren't even close to complete nutritional sources for plants tho they're better than plain gravel.

I think you are right - java looks like it needs something... I was wondering about this myslef for water changes and such - I mean, whatever it comes with can't last forever, right?! I will get some nuts and ferts, thanks! Adding blackwater, though, with ketapeat.

So would it kick up any fine particles from goldies browing in it?

Nope - not even cloudy when it went into the tank.

Is it pretty heavy or is it lighter than gravel?

Lighter than gravel - a joy to vacuum as it really goes up the siphon so you clean everything! But it settles quickly and well. Downside, some grit in the bucket - have to a bit more careful when dumping old water - no biggie! Witht the killis, the gravel does not lift when they swim by - neither with GN (4.5 inches with a huge tail) but when he does one of his little swimming-gymnastics manouevres it swishes around a bit - it actually looks nice - makes the tank look more "alive" but no clouds! IT is softer so I am not worried about him scraping on it as much as I did with regular gravel. He was losing scales left and right! THis is much gentler - like for Lumpy it might be nice.

I'd considered teh schultz aquatic soil, but I hear it's pretty light, so I'd be goldies uprooting plants would be a problem at first.

Can't tell you about that as I have no rooted plants - sorry! And I am not familiar with Schultz to compare the weight...

That sounds interesting. I'd bet it'd be pricey doing a large tank. I may get a cheap bag of kitty litter and see what that's like. It's clay.

What a beautiful tank! Aah I'd love to have one like that. My friend has one almost as large sitting around his house collecting dust and I'm trying to talk him into giving it to me. =P

That tank'll look wonderful with fish!

Edited by Bubbles

That sounds interesting. I'd bet it'd be pricey doing a large tank. I may get a cheap bag of kitty litter and see what that's like. It's clay

Yeah! It would be! (costs the same as the same weight bag of Seachem substrate). But, the stuff does seem to spread better than gravel - need less of it - maybe a two bags mixed with or layered with kitty litter would work...

Or just the kitty litter, how funny is that to tell people what's in your thank! :lol:

awrieger has a planted tank using Eco-Complete - she could tell you about rooting.

Can't wait to see the new incarnation! I hope the goldies will like and can stay there this time - such a palace!!! :exactly

I'd be a little weary about using kitty litter...check the ingrediants and make sure there's nothing bad in there, especially scents :)

Will do. :)

I hear the cheapo nnnnnn brand is just plain ol clay.