Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DataGuru

The New 125 Is Finally Set Up!

Very impressive, Betty! :)

I'm curious as to what the black object in the top right corner is? Is it a powerhead/pump? Is the object at the far left the same?

PS. Beautiful spaniel! :)

Edited by awrieger

Those are Penguin 170 powerheads with foam prefilters.

I'll be glad when he fills out.... poor thing. He must of had a very hard time of it. He's starting to get less scared. The last couple of times, I've only kept the dogs she rescued till we could find them a new home. I might actually keep him.

Here is my guess for your two mystery plants ... perhaps, Echinodorus cordifolius "ovalis" and Hygrophila corymbosa "angustifolia".

Your tank looks great! I hope you will send us pictures to show us its progress :D

BTW, your new dog looks lovely and I can see how thin the poor thing is. Good luck with him :D

Yes, that looks like what they are! Thanks! I was worried they wouldn't be aquatic plants. :)

Well, yesterday evening I added about 50 ramshorn snails in a breeder net in the 125 that were in the 20 long cuz I'm praziing the new goldies and didn't want to chance a big snail die off. This morning ammonia is up to 2ppm and nitrIte's at .5ppm in the 125. grrrrr

Major breakthru with the new dog. He's actually coming up and letting me pet him new. Very cool. :)

Oh. the new goldies have been a bit skittish since I added the prazi. This morning I put in some live daphnia and it took em a bit to figure out the daphnia are food... but when they did, they're going after it. LOL

It is always funny when you introduce new fish to a varied diet. They don't know what it is, and then when they taste it, it is like "Wow, cool" :D

I just gave my newcomer a tomato based gel food, and he was hesitant at first, but then was gobbling just like all of the others.

You have me desiring a large tank, once again. I really don't have the space for it in this house. Even though it is a 2000 square foot house, it doesn't have a lot of areas that could take a large tank. I have my 4 ft. long, 66 gallon tank in my office and the area couldn't take a larger tank.

The basement would work, but I don't go down there much. Maybe I should fix up a fish room, then my husband would never see me :))

LOL I've been thinking about adding tomatoes in some form. what kinda tomato stuff did you use? Is it affecting your pH?

Well, I have no idea what I'm going to do with the 125 that's sitting in the middle of my dining room floor waiting to get resealed. I have a 55 gallon in the living room in front of the fireplace. a 20 long beside me. the 125 is by the south windows in the living room and two other tanks (20 tall and 30 bowfront) are sitting by the south window in the dining room. I could have turned a bedroom into a fish room, but I like having them out here where I can see them. Perhaps I'll move the piano into a bedroom! LOL

I use canned, organic tomato paste to make the gel food. The fish seem to love it. It hasn't changed my ph which is 8 and rock solid.

I currently have 9 tanks running, ranging in size from the 66 gallon down to a 2 gallon betta tank. I have a 66 gal, 40 gal, 28 gal, 20 gal, 16 gal, 2 x 10 gal, 2 x 5 gal and the 2 gal. I also have a 66 gallon and a 10 gallon that are not up and running.

I would like to upsize the 20 gallon tank, since it is sitting on a big old metal filing cabinet that has a surface of 36" x 18", so it would take a nice big tank. The filing cabinet is solid metal so really strong, too.

That is one of the things I love about fishkeeping ... dreaming of the next project :idea

Sounds like you have well buffered water. I'm envious. The tomato paste sounds perfect.

I take it that enpty 66 gallon won't fit on the filing cabinet?

Scheming on new things is always cool, but I think I'm too impatient for this hobby! LOL The new 125 this morning was showing 2ppm ammonia and at least 2ppm nitrIte.

I had to take a break from this report I'm editing and the newbies gave me a good excuse. :)

I put a piece of zucchini in for the snails and it took them a bit, but the newbies have discovered that it's food.

GoldiesNew050308a.jpg

GoldiesNew050308b.jpg

GoldiesNew050308c.jpg

GoldiesNew050308d.jpg

GoldiesNew050308e.jpg

They've been pigging out for like an hour. The little ryunkin has a string of poop trailing behind her like you wouldn't believe. The end of it is green gel food from breakfast, the next section is some brown daphnia from around lunchtime, and then bunch o white zuchhini poop. Little piggies!

I just love having new goldies. Gotta figure out what to name them. Names based on color or any markings are out considering I'm still calling a white fish with pastel orange finnage Stripe.

On a side note, I haven't noticed any snails dying from the prazi. That's cool. :)

Yes, the KH of my water is 196.9, so it keeps my ph very stable. I alternate between the tomata paste gel food, which also includes carrots, and a gel food made with peas, broccoli, green beans and spinach. I also use tuna and blood worms as a protien source. They love it. I also throw them a chunk of zucchini once a day, especially in the tanks that have bristlenoses. The goldfish eat the soft centre then the bristlenose gets the rind, which funnily, I think they prefer. Of course, the bristlenoses love the gel food, too, and will protect their chunk from the goldfish.

No, my 66 gallon is 48" long and the filing cabinet is 36". I think I am going to set the 66 gallon up next year in the basement for my pond fry. Then I can see them better over the winter. They are hard to see in the tubs.

I think once your plants get actively growing, the ammonia level should drop pretty quickly.

Your new fish are very nice. The calico has beautiful markings, and the little oranda is just too cute for words. I think young orandas are so sweet :D

Good to know that the prazi doesn't affect the snails. They are delicate little creatures.

oh some more pictures :heart your tank is just lovely.

Great job with the aquascaping. Id be afriad to put so many beautiful

plants in with my goldfish lol

A huge Congrats for such a lovely tank

Guest VxShady

<shrieks> That tank is awesome! I am so jealous right now. :P

Your new calico ryukin's tail is pretty, i love to watch fancy fish eats food on the bottom with their tails up it's really funny lol

Guest slasher466

nice tank...a very impressive one I might say.....

touchofsky: The gel sounds good. When things settle down remind me and I'll do a nutritional analysis for ya. You might consider adding some flaxseed oil to the gel to boost the omega 3 fatty acids. If I'm not using a fatty fish, I'll add a teaspoon to 3 cups of gel. Also consider substituting kale for spinach from time to time as even tho spinach is high in calcium, it's not well absorbed cuz of the oxalytic acid (sp). Kale is high in vitamins and low in sugar.

All the plants are looking happy in the new 125, but no fish yet. I guess I"ll just watch the plants grow. LOL ammonia was still at 1ppm last nite and nitrIte was between 2 and 5ppm. This tank looks like it's doing a fishless cycle without having to add ammonia. Showing nitrIte in only a day is pretty quick tho compared to what you'd see in the typical new tank. I am so wondering why it is doing that, The 20 and 30 gallon tanks I set up in the same manner didn't. They were like instantly cycled.

I have a big jar of salmon oil. Could I use that as a source of omega 3 fatty acids? I'll look for kale the next time I make my gel food. Thanks for the tips :D

I don't feed gel food exclusively. I also include ProGold in their diet, plus a spirulina pellet, veggies and a few other prepared fish food items as treats.

It is very quick to see the nitrite after just a day or two. It is a curiosity. I have never had that happen.

Edited by touchofsky

That looks amazing! It is so nice and long... have fun with it! :)

Heya Betty! :D

Well, in searching and searching, I've found the answer to the in-line pump thing. Yes, as long as the pump is mounted below the water level in the tank, the pump will hold its prime. You can mount the intake into the plantfilter on the side (at the top), on the side (at the bottom) or just run it up and over the lip of the plantfilter and into the water. If you check this page out, you will see every bit of technical info you need on the Danner/Supreme pumps.

Hope this helps! :D

touchofsky: Yes, salmon oil would work. :)

Paul: Thanks! I think I have the pump on the wrong end of things. I'm beginning to think it should be inside the plant filter. That way it's sucking instead of pushing. I'm thinking about orderng the Visaqua 1800: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...4&N=2004+113041

It pumps 480 gallons per hour with a 6 foot head. It would only be like 1.5 foot of head sittng on the bottom of the plant filter. That should work I'd think.

that's a shame I thought you would be using a filtration system within the compounds of 10 GPH/per gallon i was hoping your two goldies would become HUMONGEOUS(i hope i spelled that correctly) I wanna see a big fish again :)

BTW: my moor is reverting a bit back to black after laying eggs. I can't keep the first batch of the season though :( <_< since i'm certain the second batch is usually alot more :D

also my red demekin which happens to be a male can barely see Got any suggestions on helping them breed more easily? I really want my next demekin generation :(

Edited by maniacholic

I hear that patience is a virtue. LOL

I've been mulling over the recommendations for moving 10 times the volume of the tank per hour. In my 55 gallon goldie tank, I'm not even close to that and have had no problems with it. I have the UGF that's run by 340 gph (powerhead and HOB) and an additional HOB that's pushing 170 gph. That's 510 gallons per hour. If you count the plant filter, there is around 70 gallons of water in the tank. The powerhead I'm needing to replace is the one that moves water to the plant filter. The current penguin 170 powerhead *may* be pushing 100 gph if I'm lucky cuz it's really not happy with the backpressure. So I guess I'm close to 700 gph in that tank. The new 125 only has 340 gph, so we'll see how it does. I wish it would hurry up and get situated. *chuckle* I'd like to see the big goldies in it too! It'll be nice watching the two new goldies grow.

I have no idea on the breeding thing. So far all I've seen is some bumping from my goldies. I'm just not sure I could deal with doing what it takes with goldie fry.. culling would be an issue for me.

I had a DUUUUUH moment today. It finally occurred to me to move the EXISTING powerhead from the goldie tank (where it has backpressure on it from the plant filter) INTO the plant filter so that it's sucking instead of pushing water. What a doof. Hopefully it's going to be happier now.

Ammonia was down to .25 and nitrIte was down to 2ppm in the 125. I switched out some plants and planted a few more, drained and refilled it... so I'm hoping that tomorrow I can put the little goldies in it. *keeping fingers crossed* I think I'm going to prazi the big goldies and add them one at a time, so I can make sure the water stays happy.

Great, Betty, I hope everything works out :D Please let us know how the fish move goes.

3/12/05 Replaced the unknown plant in the middle of the tank with sunset hygro. Planted some najas grass behind the oval-leaved sword on the left side. Added some hornwort. The water was yellowing and I stirred up some soil, so I drained and refilled it.

Tank125050312d.jpg

Emergent. parrot's feather, salvenia, duckweed, frogbit and not pictured water hyacinth.

Tank125050312a.jpg

Tank125050312b.jpg

Left Side. In the back, sunset hygro, radican sword, an amazon sword, and an Echinodorus cordifolius "ovalis", behind the oval sword is some najas planted. In front there's an amazon sword, green crypt wendetti, bronze crypt wendetti, and micro swords (Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae). The floaters include najas grass, hornwort, and parrot's feather.

Tank125050312Ld.jpg

Middle: Echinodorus cordifolius "ovalis", giant hairgrass, Hygrophila corymbosa "angustifolia" (I think) Sunset Hygro, and another Echinodorus cordifolius "ovalis". In front of the hair grass are some medium sized dwarf sag and in front of that more micro swords.

Tank125050312Mk.jpg

Here's a pic that shows the microsword and dwarf sag better.

Tank125050312Me.jpg

Right side: in back the Echinodorus cordifolius "ovalis", water sprite, amazon sword, wysteria. In front: micro swords, Cryptocoryne lutea and a bronze wendetti.

Tank125050312Re.jpg

3/13/05 ammonia is at .25ppm and nitrIte is at 2ppm at 9am. That's kinda cool, cuz it means almost all the 2.5ppm ammonia in my tap water is gone today. It's not cool tho, cuz it means that even with all the plant growth and the mass of floaters/emergent plants, the plants didn't get most of the ammonia. The biobugs converted it to nitrIte. That's disappointing. The babies aren't going in there till the water is happy.

Your tank looks great, Betty. Thanks for all of the pictures showing its progress. It is fun to see :kewlpics::D

It will be great to see it when everything has matured. :D