Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DataGuru

The New 125 Is Finally Set Up!

ok... the house is rearranged, the lights are built and the 125 is set up.

*phew*

It's set up as a Walstad natural planted tank with a topsoil substrate amended with oyster shell, and gravel overlayer. 375 watts of 6500K compact fluorescent light inside reflectors from the clamp on worklights... mounted on pvc and hung from the ceiling with chain.

No fish yet, cuz I have to get some more gravel to try and make sure the goldies don't get down to the topsoil and I want to give the plants a change to get rooted. I'm not sure how well the small swords are going to work with goldies. Anyhow... here it is. :)

Tank125050301a.jpg

Left Side. In the back, sunset hygro, radican sword, and an unknown sword (anyone know what it is?). In front there's mondo grass, bronze wendetti, and micro swords (Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae).

Tank125050301b.jpg

Middle: that unknown sword, giant hairgrass, and ludwigia I think.

In front of the hair grass are some medium sized dwarf sag and in front of that more micro swords.

Tank125050301c.jpg

Right side: in back some unknown plant, amazon sword, wysteria.In front: micro swords, Cryptocoryne lutea and a bronze wendetti.

Tank125050301d.jpg

Here's a closeup of the unknown plant. Any idea what it is?

Tank125050301e.jpg

and here are the two new goldies. I wasn't planning on getting any new goldies just yet, but then I saw the calico ryunkin and couldn't resist.

Then since I was getting one, I decided to see who else wanted to come home with me. :) The little orange oranda was in a herd of little orandas that were all in the game. Would have liked to brought several of them home, but I only have room for 2 more goldies after these and I want some more diversity in the tank. The little oranda's quite a character.

GoldiesNew050302a.jpg

GoldiesNew050302b.jpg

pretty! I wish i had a tank that big. Sadly I'm 12, have no room what so ever, and lots of other things that prevent me from gettin gone. The main one being parents.

Look on the bright side... It's something you can look forward to doing when you're older! I'm almost 50 and I'm just now getting one! ;)

:heart Lovely tank!, Congrats.

Can't wait to see it with some Fish in there

Edited by Black oranda

Good going, Betty!! I can just imagine how densely planted it will be once those plants start growing! :heart No idea about the mystery plant, but I do love your new ryukin!! :happydance

Hey Betty! Thats looking good! :) I've no clue about the others, but I think that last one is some sort of palm, it looks like one I bought awhile back anyway and it didn't go well because the light was still too low.

Mondo grass? I've seen it, but I read it really wasn't meant for AQ's someplace so I've been leary of buying any! :blink:

The fish are gorgouse! :) Oh I do like that calico......

<_< I'm so jealous of betty's new tank... :cry1

BTW i'm building a new 62

with measurements of

28length

20width

28height any suggestions or pointers?

Also check out my new black moor he's turning blue/grey! i'm gonna get a new photo up-date once he finish his metamorphoses :D and i want to know are there any others like him?... if there is i'm confident that you may know :D

Great set up!!!I would love a tank that big :lol: Congratulations on your new fish too.I love the calico ryukin :heart

Yea, I can't wait to move the goldies! It's scarey tho with the topsoil. If that's not buried deep enough, it's going to be a REAL mess.

the new goldies are in hog heaven. they had their first peas tonite and really gobbled them down. They like shrimp too. It's really nice having them right here next to the computer. They definitely know I'm the food bringer now. They come running everytime I lean back and look in the tank. LOL

Kathy: Seems like it was Mondo grass. LOL Didn't come with a little tag so it could be anything, but it looked so heathy. It's from vvvv, so if they sold me another non-aquatic plant, I'm going to be annoyed with them. Like it'll matter whether I'm annoyed or not. LOL

It'll be interesting to see what happens with your moor changing colors. Both of mine are still black. So how are you planning on setting up the new tank?

That sounds really technical Betty but it looks very nice. Congratulations on your new tank and new fish.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with your moor changing colors.? Both of mine are still black.? So how are you planning on setting up the new tank?

I'm REALLY curious too i always heared about blue fading away, but never fading in, the speed of the change is getting very drastic, I never seen a goldfish change color so fast... I have been using liquid vitamins and raise the temp a bit to decrease the breeding time interval, any idea of how those factors may be the influence?

The tank i'm trying to set up is a for demekins, and instead of a glass bottom i'm gonna use something like marble, perhaps that will be more sturdy too, and if you've read my signature the demekins i'm keeping in there will only be of the red demekin and the black-blue moor, and since i'm keeping these telescope types i rather not make obstructions with plants and the sort... perhaps i'll set up my own filter combining the idea of a bucket filter and your plant filter stacking on it, if i get a chancce i'll send a fry to you... too bad the chance of getting a good demekin veil-tail strand is rare especially one with red eyes like the father(which is the red demekin chicken made a mistake on checking :lol ).

also speaking about red eye pupils do you know what are the set-backs to them?

BTW: it seems like you placed yourself into another obstacle on maintaining the water in the future good luck on that :D

Edited by maniacholic

:D Betty ,Congrats!!!! How impressive! The tank was such a mess when you got it.Love the lighting on it.Good luck with the goldiesand the plants! :rolleyes::lol:

I love your new tank setup Betty!! :heart Once it starts growing it's going to look amazing :)

That is one AWESOME looking tank!

I cant wait to see it with your Goldies in, you'll have to post new pics then!

Your two new fishies are really cute, I :heart the calico ryunkin :wub:

GORGEOUS! :)

Thanks you guys... I can't wait! Gotta pick up some more gravel today and I may add some more plants. Walstad thinks I'm going to see an algae bloom.

maniacholic: When my ryunkin changed colors it took like a month for her scales to change, couple of more months for the color in her fins to change.

>also speaking about red eye pupils do you know what are the set-backs to them?

I have no idea.

>BTW: it seems like you placed yourself into another obstacle on

>maintaining the water in the future good luck on that

As long as I get enough gravel in there to keep them from getting the topsoil, I'm not worried about water quality. I think I'll have less issues with nitrAte building up with the tank set up this way.

I'm going to have to buy another pump for the plant filter as the powehead is starting to get flakey. I don't think they're built to have backpressure on them.

Hey Betty im so jealous of your new fish tank being that big and colourful with the live plants :(

Wow, I love your tank I am so envious. The last time I upgraded my goldfish tank my goldie stayed up all night exploring all of the new space, but if I was able to get her a tank that huge, she would probably be awake for weeks :blink::lol: . You are so lucky to have an awesome tank like that good luck with it. :goodluck

Congrats on your new tank set up Betty. You did a great job, I'm impressed. :)

Also congrats on your :newfish . Love the coloring on your ryukin :heart Can't wait to see the plants grow and your new fish in the tank.

BTW: can't help identify the mystery plant. Sorry.

Well it is mondo grass and it's not a true aquatic plant. So it's going back to the store today. The rest of the gravel I needed to finish the tank, didn't come in, and they're saying it'll be next friday, so it looks like I'm going shopping around today to see if I can find some that's close to what's in the tank.

The big bronze wendetti melted. darnit. I was hoping since I just unpotted it and set it in place it wouldn't do that. Oh well... it'll come back. Looks like the big amazon sword isn't happy with being transplanted either.

Makes me wonder just what we'd do if life was more cooperative! LOL

Hi Betty,

Your new tank set up looks great. I'll be curious to see how it goes with the topsoil under the substrate. I never was quite brave enough to try that :D

BTW, I wanted to say how nice your two new fish are. The calico is just gorgeous, but that little lionhead just has the cutest face :heart

Sweeeeet! looks super nice, Betty! :D

I like to use those screw in compacts too. Thats whats grows the plants above and in my guppy tank. I was wondering about the possibily of growing aquatic plants with them. Seeing it on your tank brings me some hope.......

By the way, do you have a good source for different spectrums in the compact screw ins?

Thanks you guys. :)

3/5/05 Drained the tank and added two more amazon swords, another of the oval leaved swords, more sunset hygro, more wysteria, and water sprite. Added the rest of the gravel and Added a bunch of floating plants: parrot's feather, salvenia, frogbit, duckweed. ammonia at 2ppm at midnite (my tap water has 2.5ppm ammonia).

Tank125050305a.jpg

Left Side. In the back, sunset hygro, radican sword, an amazon sword, and an unknown sword (anyone know what it is?). In front there's an amazon sword, green crypt wendetti, bronze crypt wendetti, and micro swords (Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae).

Tank125050305b.jpg

Middle: that unknown sword, giant hairgrass, unknown plant, ludwigia (I think), and another oval leaved sword.

In front of the hair grass are some medium sized dwarf sag and in front of that more micro swords.

Tank125050305c.jpg

Right side: in back a new oval leaved sword, water sprite, amazon sword, wysteria. In front: micro swords, Cryptocoryne lutea and a bronze wendetti.

Tank125050305d.jpg

3/6/05 ammonia at 1ppm at 9am. Added a bunch of najas grass. My daughter rescued the bird dog in the pic last week. He was one big bag of bones, but is starting to recover. He's eating me out of house and home! :)

Tank125050306a.jpg

Good news. tonite ammonia is down to .25ppm and nitrIte is at 0ppm!

The new goldies had their first dose of prazi tonite. If ammonia and nitrIte are 0ppm, I may move them into the new tank tomorrow. Weekends are way too short!

Paul: I've found 6500K bulbs at Home Depot. Lowes used to carry them, but I didn't see any last time I was there. I've heard people say they've found them at nnnnnn, but ours only has the soft white. Before that, I found 5000K at a light bulb supply store. That 5 light set up, cost me a days work and around $150. Much cheaper than buying real lights if you don't count the labor. Here's one that's similar to the bulbs I used: http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=8930

Did you ever figure out the issues with using one of those mag drive pumps? I'm going to have to replace the powerhead that's moving water to the plant filter. i'm thinking about re-plumbing the pump side of things while I'm at it. It appears the one-way valve isn't closing any more and the powerhead isn't doing well with the back pressure on it.