Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aftran

Questions On Dropsy

Recommended Posts

I know it's a result of other problems, and about a week and a half ago I lost a fish to it (best I can guess is an internal bacterial infection, but when I pulle dhim out to flush him I noticed pineconing). And again tonight I lost a fish to "dropsy." They were in two different tanks so I'm a little confused.

1st, how contageous is it? The first fish was in the second fishes tank for about 2 seconds about three weeks ago (dumb move on my part, I thought the flow in tank 1 was too strong). Can it be transfered with my water syphon for water changes? and if so is there a way to disinfect the syphon.

I just bought a fishie today before I found out the 2nd fish was dead, so now I'm terrified of killing him off. I'm sur it's all a long list of things I've done, I just want to get this figured out before I leave for school and have to leave my babies in the hands of my parents.

Thansk, Tabi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what is causing the dropsy.

In my experience a fish with Dropsy due to a temperature drop, is not contageous to the other fish.

But due to parasites, or a bacterial infection, it is contageous, because you are transferring the parasites or bacteria.

I had this same thing happen, it was terrible, I lost a lot of fish.

It probably was transferred on your syphon, that is what I did, I am sure.

You could probably soak it in bleach, and then rinse it VERY well, and use a lot of dechlorinator on it to make sure it is safe again.

I got rid of my gravel and just left some glass beads, and I have hollow ornaments, so I have started scrubbing them out religously.

Good luck,

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jessica, I'll try that with the syphon. My other fish seem to be doing ok, not great, but ok. I spoke with my parents yesterday and because I don't have any money to treat the tanks and they don't want to spend the money we're just doing to take down the two that are infected, wash everything really well, then set them back up. I'm hoping that that will get it out of the tank/gravel and the filters. I'm feeding medicated food in hopes of kicking whatever's left of the infection.

thansk for your help :)

- Tabi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can fill it with diluted bleach (10:1 ratio) to make sure it's clean. Then rinse it out really well several times and add in 4 times the normal dosage of Prime. I can almost gaurantee nothing will survive that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Photo of the week winner!


Pic of the week poll #21


×
×
  • Create New...