Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bella_Butterfly

The Arguement About Bowls

My cousin Iris has just recently gotten a cute little Ranchu goldfish from a breeder in Japan. Iris (according to her) just recently joined Koko's not too long ago, and since she wont listen to me over the phone, I think I rather post this complaint for all of the Koko family to see.

Iris, putting the ranchu into a bowl is definantly not a good idea. Not only that, but it is cruel and totally unheard of for a goldfish lover to do. Putting the goldfish into any kind of bowl would shorten his life span and waste that good money you spent on a beautiful goldfish such as yours...but most importanly, he wont live the long and beautiful life he was meant to live. A ten gallon (or more) would be soo much better than keeping him in a small bowl such as the one you have. There are some stores in and around Manhattan that sell 10 gallon tanks for under $10! Trust me...that $10 dollars will go a long way and your ranchu will live a longer and much more happier life than he would live if you left him in that bowl on your night stand.

Please take this into consideration :)

:exactly

Hopefully after your cousin has had the fish for awhile, she will fall in love with it and want to provide ultimate care for her ranchu. I have kept small coldwater fish in a bowl (whiteclouds, danios and medakas) with a filter but it was hard to see them, so I put them in a tank. I was able to then watch them and observe their behaviour more.

Your cousin will definatley get my enjoyment out of her fish if she puts him/her in a tank and the fish will be happier. I hope she does consider your suggestion. There are more pros than cons :)

I think in the long run its just cheaper and easier, cheaper because less problems should occur as opposed to the usual 1 year in a bowl and the ill health, meds etc. And easier because once setup, tanks need less maintenance to keep clean water. Lets hope she listens or reads your post.

First I don't want "Iris" to feel overwhelmed by this thread. We are not hear to "tell" others what to do, but to explain why and how to take good care of our little friends. Simply saying "you can't or don't" without explaining why is often misread as being hostle.

Iris, please don't feel anyone hear is out to get you or to tell you what to do.

Now to explain why bowls are bad are a couple reasons,

First being gf need a lot of water and space because they are messy fish. Waste builds up and they live in that so it becomes unhealthy. The smaller space the sicker and quicker the fish gets.

Second is a bowl being round things are amplified......sorta like having your ear to a speaker at a rock concert. You are going to be very uncomfortable and it will hurt. This is what a bowl does.

So now you know some of the why's, hopefully your fish will be better off for it.

Also if it is in a bowl, you should be doing 50% water changes daily, and it will soon out grow the bowl =o)

Jessica

:goodpost Iris, even a large bowl is way to small for a goldfish because goldfish are lots messier than most any kind of aquarium fish and will pollute the water much faster than, say, a betta, which sooner or later is going to make your fish sick then you will have to buy meds, ect, ect...so please just get him a ten gallon tank and save yourself all that hassle. your fish will love you for it! :exactly

I'm assuming that if she got the fish off of a Japanese Breeder,then she probably paid some decent money for it. You'd think that she would do some homework on it first. Japanese Ranchu Breeder/nnnnnn sic fishy....They all deserve to have a decent amount of swim area,a filter,and a bubble wand for extra aeration. Our local vvvv has a nice ten gal. complete set-up with heater/filter etc. on sale for 30.00---which is really cheap! If you can't talk your cousin into a fish tank,try to get her to at least buy a rubbermaid tub and a filter. Maybe Iris will end up giving you the fish.So many people don't realise just how bad fish bowls really are.... :(

If she decides not to listen to me...I don't know what ill do :krazy:

One of my friends keeps two of her fish in a 6 gallon tank and was only doing a water change once a month, despite my advice :angry: I know how you feel Bella_Butterfly. It can be frustrating. I just try not to think about it anymore and dont bring it up with her as I find myself getting sad over it .....poor fish :(

my mom bought a black moore and i had no room for it and dhe has it in a vase in the kitchen.....well i found a ten gallon 20 gallon starter kit for 50 bucks(realy cheap were i am ) and bought it for her then i set it up and placed very simple instucktions on it and well she got the hint and didnt bother taking it down. haha. so i would get her a ten gallon and a filter if she realy isnt going to listen or get her a betta and ell her you will trade......

Well...I guess she isn't going to change her mind about it. I think I'll buy her a betta and ask her to trade. A betta would do a lot better in that bowl than that ranchu. I'll see if she changes her mind. I'm about to roam around Manhattan to see if I can find a betta worthy of trading her ranchu for. If she decides not to trade...I guess I'll be adding another betta to my collection of fish. I really hope she listens... poor fishy :wall

She finally decided to trade fishies with me! I found her a $55 betta in a small shop in China Town. She gave her the ranchu and his name is "Kiseki" which means miracle in Japanese according to my friend. Im sure Kiseki will be very happy in a environment she deserves to be in :exactly

Good job! I think you have managed to diplomatically solve this problem and hopefully everyone, fish included, will be very happy now. :)

I am glad that she traded you. The betta would certainly be better in the bowl. Hopefully she understands better why.

Are we going to get to see this "infamous" fish?

And I do hope Iris posts a pic of the new wonderful betta!!

Once I figure out how to work this camera and learn how to post pics online...of course you will :happydance

Guest sourmilknightmares

That must have been a pretty sweet betta! What tail type and color was it? I used to drool over the bettas on aquabid on a regular basis. Tell us a little bit more about the infamous ranchu too! What does he/she look like?

Kiseki is a fat red cappy with a red outlined tail and red tipped fins. The betta I gave Iris was a beautiful blue and red betta with a gorgeous tail. I couldn't go to some vvvv or mmm and get her a betta that was literally dying in a tiny little plastic container with blue food colouring in it. :krazy:

Oh...the betta was a male

And Kiseki is a female :heart

Edited by Bella_Butterfly

My cousin Iris has just recently gotten a cute little Ranchu goldfish from a breeder in Japan. Iris (according to her) just recently joined Koko's not too long ago, and since she wont listen to me over the phone, I think I rather post this complaint for all of the Koko family to see.

Iris, putting the ranchu into a bowl is definantly not a good idea. Not only that, but it is cruel and totally unheard of for a goldfish lover to do. Putting the goldfish into any kind of bowl would shorten his life span and waste that good money you spent on a beautiful goldfish such as yours...but most importanly, he wont live the long and beautiful life he was meant to live. A ten gallon (or more) would be soo much better than keeping him in a small bowl such as the one you have. There are some stores in and around Manhattan that sell 10 gallon tanks for under $10! Trust me...that $10 dollars will go a long way and your ranchu will live a longer and much more happier life than he would live if you left him in that bowl on your night stand.

Please take this into consideration :)

*COUGH* $7.00 in delancey

Good job Bella_Butterfly. I think you handled that very well.

I've never seen a $55.00 betta. Is it a special breed of betta? Around here fancy bettas are $5.99.

Edited by Queenie

Its not a special breed, its just of higher quality.

Guest Fish_Goddess

Iris - last February I bought 2 small goldfish from (eeek!) nnnnnn and a largish bowl & a plastic plant. Within 3 days, as my brackish water became even more brackish, I searched the internet for info on goldfish upkeep. I found Koko. I learned how a bowl is both cruel & not very cost effective but explained why historically my fish never lasted more than a few weeks. I immediately bought a tank and learned, with a lot of help from this site, how to care for my new friends.

My fish are almost 1 year old (Happy birthday to Ken & Gerard)! and are happy, playful and have become much bigger - and they bring me so much joy that I can barely express it. :heart

Buy a tank. Please!

Guest sourmilknightmares

Bettas don't have 'breeds' thye just have different tail types and colors. The most expensive betta I ever saw was on Aquabid. It was an orange male OVER half-moon. He was priced at $200, had a few days left, and someone had already bid on him!

Make she she covers the bowl - some bettas are jumpers. Also is the bowl heated? You can never please us you know! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lachfa

Yup. Next mission: get the betta a heater, a silk plant and a ten gal tank ;D