Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kat

Maximum Tank Temperature

Sorry guys, I just thought I'd ask this again to get some personal support, eventhough I know it's a common topic. With the weather getting very hot here now for the summer, what is the max temperatures do you think our goldies can tolerate? Anyone had problems with fish in overheated water, and in which range?

I think mine goes to 27C so far - is it ok if it goes over 30C, say for a fancy breed like bubble eyes?

the 70s is good for breeding.

goldfish can tolerate to high temperatures. but remember, dont over cook... lets say.. 85+ ?

I try to keep the temp around 24c-26c. I think GF can tolerate temps up to 28c but maybe 30c is a bit too warm IMO :)

hmm...how about high temperature (30-ish), but lotsa bubblers running? The water shouldn't go more than 35C here I suppose....?

I am going to have to go to the "converter" page. I only know Farenheit. :)

In the summer, my tank can get up to 86F and I add frozen water bottles to cool it down. The water has less oxygen and you need to make sure that you have lots of bubblers, etc.

It is winter here and I had to get a heater for my tank now. The temp with the heater is 64F. A bit cold I suppose but my art studio is currently unheated. The fish seem fine but before I got the heater it was in the 50s and that was much too cold for them. :):D

I know that goldies can tolerate quite a range of temperature, but what is the ideal temperature? Ideal meaning where they are the happiest, most comfortable, and healthiest. I have been told 68 degrees F. Do you guys agree?

I would say anywhere betweem 64-74F.

I'd say 75*f, but i'm no expert.

Guest Amanda

For healthy fish I think room temperature (I mean heated space!) is fine.

I have an oranda with some combination of ailments and by lots of research, trial and error, and medication (!) determined that constant temperature at not less than 78 F. keeps his symptoms at bay. One of his disease processes is a "cold water disease" so he likes it warm.

I've also learned that increased temperature increases metabolism and can speed healing processes. Extra oxygenation is required so yes - additional bubblers/aerators are important with increased temp.

Goldfish can survive at 90F (yes really!) but their optimum range is between 68 and 76F.

78-82F is good for treating / preventing diseases like SBD, dropsy, etc. because, like Amanda said, the higher temps speed up the fish's metabolism and boost its immune system so it fights off disease better. It also speeds up the lifecycle of parasites like ich so the medications can work faster to clear them. But yes - the tank needs to be really well oxygenated over 80F (roughly twice normal oxygenation).

Beware of keeping goldfish in high temps all the time though. The fish is effectively 'living life in the fast lane', which wears out its body tissues faster and therefore reduces its lifespan.

Guest kamitoki

Ambient air temp in the Philippines can go as high as 36 C. The highest water temp Ive read personally is 84F. 80-82F most days, everyday. Goldfish thrive here though. I guess they're used to it.

Tank should be no more than 71F degrees. Unless you are breeding. Regular temps are 68F to 71F degrees.

my temp is 73F and there happy and healthy, very active too, below 70 they would be sluggish, since I added the heater they are much happier and more active, I have fancy goldfish, they seem to like it a bit warmer, but not much.

My tank has hit 94F in the summer before, and my fish never missed a beat. I am sure it would not be healthy to have it that warm every single day, but they were swimming, eating and pooping, business as usual ;o)

I used bottles of frozen water too, but when the tank is that warm, it's really hard to regulate temperature, because you can not bring the temp down too fast, and when you do get it down, it's impossible to keep it there unless you stay up 24/7 adding bottles of water and watching the thermometer.

I still mantain that having a fairly constant temp, is better than a wildly fluctuating temp.

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

I kept mine at a constant 30C all year round and the gf seems OK. Maybe they are acclimated as we are in a tropical country. Gf from China also seems to adapt to higher temperature but I think if it goes too high, they might have difficulty in getting sufficient oxygen.

94 degrees F!? :blink: Jessica, aren't you from Canada? How did your tank get that hot!?

To stomp on a very very typical myth....It does in fact get darn hot in Canada in the Summer time.

I live close to Jessica so I can almost speak for her. Usually in July August and Sept the temperature sometimes reaches 90*F- 98*F and the humidity makes it feel 20 times worse.

I live in Ontario Canada near Toronto. My tank reaches the 90's in the summer time as well. I cannot afford Central Air conditioning and only have an air conditioner in our living room. I sometimes move the tank into the basement if it get's too humid.

One year I drove down to my aunts in the summer. She lives in the Georgia, USA. The temperature was the same, in fact the humidity made it feel worse here in Canada. A lot of times over the news the elderly are asked to stay indoors because the heat and humidity could possibly kill them. When even have brown and black outs with the hydro companies because the air conditioners are going like crazy.

Trust me... we have 4 extreme seasons. Summer is HOT! and Winter is COLD. I hate cold by the way. hehe.

It's when you go extreme north when it becomes cooler in summer.

As far as my normal tank temperatures... I try to keep mine around 24*C or 72*F (depends on which thermometre i'm looking at. :))

Well our summer lasts about 6 months a year, with winter not going too cold (around 25-27 C) This summer has been so mild and sooo nice, only around 35 each day, so the tanks are constantly around 30-35. We've had our few days of above 40 but no where as many last last year (basically the whole last summer was over 40, worst summer EVER). My goldfish like the heat more than the cold (not that it actually gets cold here), they are more active and healthy.

Hence we dont have heaters either, my tropical tank is always at a nice temperature :P

But today... i'm heading to China (first time on a plane! and overseas!! i'm so excited) It'll be below freezing (i havent been in any under like.. 15degrees) and snowing 1/2 the time. But there should be lots of goldfish to see, i'll seek them out like a goldfish-seeking thorpedo! (hehe sorry i couldn't resist :P )

But back ontopic i dont see any problems with the heat, just keep the oxygenation up and you'll be fine. I cant be bothered with chillers or keeping the water cool with big ice blocks, if they're doing fine now, why change that!

To stomp on a very very typical myth....It does in fact get darn hot in Canada in the Summer time. 

Oh I believe you. :D I've been to Canada in the summer. B) But a 94 degree water temp is almost like a bath water. :blink: Even if it was 100 degrees outside, I don't think the water would get anything close to 94 degrees. Would it? :huh:

I think humidity causes it.. not sure. But Mine has gotten to 90 before. It was about the temperature of the inside of the house. I even tried Ice cubes to tone it down. Probably a bad idea, but it was a temporary fix. I didn't know what else to do other than that and turn up the bubbles. And I tell ya... the water evaporated faster than I can ever remember.

if it gets above 80 deg F then add a pop bottel with ice in the water at all times because imo any thing above that is too hot and even though they can survive it it will have negative effects on them.

Yep Barbara is right, the 94 degree tank temp was because of the heat! Whatever the temp is in the room, seems to be the temp of my tanks ;o)

I try not to look a the tank thermometer in the summer any more it scares me LOL

Jessica