Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

How Fast Can I Run The Temp Up Anyway?

I never did ask this, on the Puregold site it says as fast as possible, I'm talking to 82-84 from 76 degrees. How fast does that mean, like 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days? What is safe?

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

Jessica wow 84 degrees, isn't that to high? When I was treating Sapphy for Dropsy Koko said to not go over 82-ish. 80 was good.

I do know that you should raise the temp by 1 degree an hour, 2 degrees at the most. Anything more than that, you could be adding problems.

I'm not sure if 84 is too high, JoAnne/Ingrid (PureGold) recommend raising it to 86 as fast as possible.

Thanks for you help Laurie.

Jessica

Since Woogie seems to be acting well despite his condition, it would probably be best to make the temp change slowley. 2 degrees per hour sounds like a pretty good increase. If you have a heater that is recommended for your size tank, the heater shouldnt be able to raise the temp too fast for him. But, if your heater is rated for a tank thats a bit bigger, it might heat too fast. Just something to consider.

What is the temp of his tank at right now?

If you only need to raise it by less than ten degrees, doing so over the course of 6-8 hours should suffice.

Hows Woogie doing now? :huh:

Woogies been sitting on the bottom all day. He ate a bit of Metromeds this morning, but after that its like he couldn't eat.

He goes nuts for the pellets, and grabs them like he's starving, and he tries to chew them, but they come flying back out of his mouth, it's like he can't eat =o( He won't take it from my hand today either.

I don't think it's the taste, because he ate them earlier, plus Chubby went through this with his usual food before he died, he wanted to eat, but it seemed he couldn't.

He has eaten a bit though, and his poo this morning was white, but now it's the colour of the metromeds.

He got up once and did a few laps around and even came to the surface, but now he's sitting on the bottom again.

His tail was even more ripped up this morning, and I tested the water in my main tank again, it's the same except the nitrates were under 10ppm this morning. The water in his hospital tank is obviously prisitine.

I hope he gets better!

He is swimming around a little bit on the bottom, but he doesn't actually swim, he sort of wiggles around the tank like a snake.

Jessica

Ps my heater is huge, it was given to me, and it's one with a dial, that you can't set the exact temp. It was a challange I'll tell you. I basically stood over the heater since my post this morning about the temp, and had to literally go and check the thermometer every few minutes to make sure it was not rising too quickly.

I have two rescues in my q/t tank right now, I can't believe the odds that I would get another sick fish, right when I have them in there.

I just used an extra rubbermaid for Woogie. I had to get a piece of glass to lean the heater on. I think that was someones tip on here, and it came in very handy!

Jessica

He doesn't look very good does he? :cry1

pictures175.jpg

He looks sad, lets hope he pulls through. I had the same problem with my heater, no way of knowing how much i was increasing the temp by, so i turned a small amount, one notch, than came back in an hour, and as long everything was ok, increased again, after two goes, i could gauge how much to turn to up a degree, Celsius for me and increased every two hours, its easier the smaller the tank, as mine took a while to increase. Good luck.

I hope Woogie starts to feel a bit better. I suppose it's probably good news that his scales aren't sticking out completely.

Were you able to get ahold of the Maracyns today? If the Maracyns prove to be scarce, You might find furan two tablets (also readily treats internally). What about medi-gold? Got any?

Hang in there Woogs! :unsure:

His scales are flatter than they were yesterday, and they don't stick way out like Chubby's did!

Yes, our lfs sells the Maracyns, but not test kits go figure, whenever I need new test kits I have to drive to the city or order online!

I do not have medigold, only metromeds, I can order Medigold from The Fish Sempai though. Do you think I should get some of that too?

I emailed the ag school about locating a vet that will treat fish. They are part of the University of Guelph and have an excellent vt program, so lets hope they reply with a good vet. Whitie Snowflake doesn't look sick, but she doesn't look happy either =o(

Jessica

If he seems to be improving, keep doing just what your doing. Try your best to get him to eat. Anything, really. Treats, if thats what it takes.

Keep us posted, Jess. :)

Jessica he looks so pitiful, I can imagine what it must feel like to watch him just laying there. The poor little guy, I so hope he makes it!!!

He is still the same, just laying there and barely eating. He spits the pellets right back out. But he MUST be getting a little bit because he's still pooping.

I slept less than 4 hours last night, I had to keep checking on poor Woogie. He slithers around the bottom of the tank every now and again.

I set this hospital up especially for Woogie, with new everything, so I wouldn't be bringing in anything from the main tank. That means it's not cycled, so I've already done a complete water change twice, I basically have to do the tub to tub deal.

His tail is getting worse. I keep finding black strings in the bottom of the tank, it's his tail. I even found a chunk of it, it's falling off in chunks.

I literally syphon off his poo as soon as it happens, and as I said I have to keep moving him, but I make sure everything is exactly the same in regards to the water.

The water gets cloudy really fast because his slime coat is falling off and floating around. The water was so smelly at 5 am this morning, it made me gag! I tested it, because it stunk and everything was at 0.

I promised Woogie if he hung on, tomorrow would be better =o( He is one tough fish, that is for sure.

The fish in my main tank (that Woogie came out of) still don't look too happy, but I can't find anything wrong with the water. =o(

Jessica

Ps, do you know why the water that Woogie is in, would stink like that? If you have ever gone on vacation and left a wet dishrag in the sink (bad housekeeper that I am =oP) and come home, it smelled like that. His tank smells like an old dish rag that needs to be washed. I HATE that smell, it reminds me of mold.

Jessica

Thank you for your help and well wishes. Woogie died this morning, and I buried him in my garden =o(

Jessica

Jessica I am so sorry. He was such a cute little thing. It is always so hard to lose one, I know you were trying.

It is a very nice thought that you buried him in your garden. Poor little guy he is whole now swimming away in Heaven.

My thoughts will be with you. :hug

Awww, Jess! :ignore

Poor Woogie :cry1

I feel so bad for you right now. I wish there was someting I could do or say to make it better.........

:heart:tou:heart

I'm so sorry about your loss :cry1 He was such a beautiful fish!!

Hope you feel better soon :flowers

Thank you for your kind words everyone.

I actually cried so hard when I found him, I am such a baby =o( But after that I was ok. It was really weird. He was one of my very first fish, one of my 'originals' before I got addicted to goldfish heehee.

I did something to cheer me up, I decided it was the day that Silly (a weather loach) could go into the tank with Swampy (my original loach). It was hilarious to see them meet for the first time, and it really helped cheer me up.

Jessica