Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Well My Eggs Cracked Open And I Have Babies

They are very very small, I am not sure what they should be eating :blink: I fed them fry food for newborn goldies!

I hatched two clutches. My snails are in the goldfish tank, and I have a betta in a plastic box in there, I let the betta out today for a swim around (he is fine with the goldies but I never leave them alone together) and he found some snail eggs in the tank and ate them. Well that takes care of that! I don't think I needed any more snails anyway, I have a lot of babies to look after.

They are Columbian Ramshorn babies, and now I have to figure out what to do with them all LOL! Can these bad boys live in koi and goldfish ponds?

Oh and last time I was at the LFS they had these two snails called Peruvian Snails (probably the wrong name!) and they were as big as a grape fruit! They were massive!

Jessica

I should say, my baby snails are not in the tank with the fish, they are in a big jar, what do you guys recommend for snails that small, for housing?

Jessica

Congratulations on your baby snails!!! :clapping:

I keep my baby Ramshorns in a bowl and do 2x 50% water changes a week. I put bits of lettece in there and they seem to love it. The bowl sits in a semi sunny part of the sun room to promote alage growth for the little guys :)

I dont know much about baby snail care, so hopefully someone will come along and post some more info :huh:

Baby snails eat the same thing the adults do. Which is so nice considering the 'special needs' of other animals.

I'm glad you added that second post because they are probably small enough that the goldies will eat them, or at least harass them.

They can live in ponds, but as far as I know, most snails are pretty bad in ponds- they are from places like Latin America (I suppose that's where the "Colombian" part comes from) which are generally warm. Plus you may run into the problems of goldies nipping at them, or large koi eating them.

Cool! You should get some of those Peruvian snails. They could be Canas, as usual sold under a really weird name. There is also unverified evidence that they could be Pomacea haustrums, although generally they are a lot smaller. Haustrums lay green eggs, for future reference. It could also be an Insularum. "Peruvian" has not been actually linked to an identified snail, but if I were you I'd go and buy some.