Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bubblegoose

Picky Eaters?

I was wondering if when it comes to feeding your fish new foods, if they require a couple tries, to get used to it. My fish seem abnormally picky. They didn't like carrots, brocolli, lettuce, strawberry, melon or even orange. Do I just need to try the foods again? Or are their first reactions usually a good sign of what they'll eat? Oddly enough I tried feeding them red pepper today (which I don't think I've ever heard anyone else say they feed theirs....but I had it around, so I thought I'd give it a try), and they all gobbled it up with no complaints. Are they just picky? Or do they sometimes need a chance to get used to foods?

Also, any other ideas of veggies I could try? (are tomatoes alright?)

Guest Luke Anderson

some fish can be quite picky, but trying food over again can sometimes help especially when it comes to new veggies or fruit.

bTW, i tryed red bell pepper before several times, on its own and in gel food, and either way my fish would not touch it :blink:

I've had to try a few times with some foods before my fish became interested. They seem to be a bit like children in that if it looks different they don't want to try it!

Mine love tomato by the way.

Thanks for the help...I guess the issue is just finding food that they all like equally (which seems to be hard...because even if one of them like it, the other 2 seem to not). I'll try tomatoes though, maybe I'll have some luck with those (which would be good, since I always have them around). I might try some different fruits too. Is there anything in particular that I should stay away from? Anything that goldies are known to be allergic to? Or should I just try whatever I may have around?

Any fruit or veg is fine as long as if it is cooked, there is no salt or sugar added and any skin is removed.

My little friends had seedless grapes for the first time tonight and they went down a treat!

Broccolli is a favourite too. I just lightly steam a whole floret and chuck it in and within minutes it's bald! They love swede too, and sprouts, runner beans, pear...the list is endless!

I think that my little guy enjoys almost anything with the exception of pellets. I cant get him to like those. Also I just adopted the soaking the food in water for a 1 thing from here and just tried it tonight.. well he didnt seem to like it ? it took him a few minutes to go after the flakes. Any reason why ?

It's probaably just because it's something different and he's not used to it/ persevere and I'm sure he'll start wolfing them down soon!