Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Meg_Carroll

Picking A Male!

I would love to breed my red and white fantail. She's to small now, but she will eventually get bigger, and i want to find her a charming little fella to date until they are ready to settle down and start a family. First off, what would be a good breed? I was thinking a calico, with lots of black. And also, how do i know if hes male? Is there any way to tell with out picking up the fish? When i get him he will be about 1 - 1.5 inches long with out tail. Mopy is about 2.5 - 3 with the tail. How much more growing should they do before breeding? Grah, so frustrating, playing match maker. Whut if they dont like each other? or just want to be "friends"? lol. Please help!

before you start breeding, there are quite a few questions that need to be asked:

do you have a spare tank of a minimum of 5 gals?

do you have a tank of at least 20 gals?

do you have a bit of spare cash?

are you sure of the sex of your current fish?

id say she is about old enough to breed. id get another sort of fantail, maybe an oranda or something like that but get him about 3-4" or you'll have to wait what seems like forever for him to be old enough. the way to get a good male is to see if they have breeding tubricles (little dots on the gill covers and first spine of the pectoral fin). they will definately like each other. lol. the reason for them being alive in their opinion is to carry on the genes so id be pretty confident if you get them in the mood, there'll be chemistry ;) good luck!

oh, the tubricles only appear in the male by the way. the female will get very round in the belly when shes mature :)

i kno shes i female, she lost eggs allready, and it looks like she ate a ping pong ball shes so fat, shes just really small still. shes my only goldfish, so if i get a male it will be her and him in a 20g tank. i have two 8g tanks, brine shrimp, and plants allready. So all i need is a male goldfish to partner up. Thanks for your help.

ryukins and fantails are great combinations there just like ryukins except with a smaller hump

*100th post :bump: *

Guest calico4

I am tring to breed my 2 fantails,1 is a white calico and they other is a orange fantail. so i will see what happens. :)

Guest calico4

I am tring to breed my 2 fantails,1 is a white calico and they other is a orange fantail. so i will see what happens. :)

hahah wow this is an old topic! Mopy's laid several clutches since this, with no male, and now that Ive got a male in there, he ignors her (in a sexual way anyhow :rolleyes: ) So i have given up trying to breed them, they will breed on there own.

Good Luck with your fantails, Calico4. My boy is a Shubie.

Guest calico4

Thanks Meg. Did the eggs survive? Are they babie fishies?

-calico

:goodluck

Oh no, there was no male. She just felt like laying a few clutches i spose! Shes laid about 7-8 so far, all with out the help of a boy. So no baby fishies for me. Ever since i got the male she has been egg bound, but she wont accually lay any, and he wont chase her. Ive tried hand breeding and he wount even give milt when forced. So its all very perplexing. He is male tho! lol He has stars.