Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Think My Baby Fish Is Going To Die,

If he dies, I've managed to kill two fish this week. Actually I think nnnnnn killed the first one. Anyway....

Baby fish seemed fine. She ate this afternoon and was swimming about as usual.

I went upstairs about an hour ago for something, and thought I saw her stuck to the filter, but it was the plant. 20 minutes later, I see something stuck to the filter again....I almost walked by, thinking it was the stupid plant, but NO, it's my baby fish this time.

Her mouth was sucked inside the filter. And she was stuck. I gently removed her, but then her whole body stuck on.

BAD SIGN.

I tested my water,

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

1 nitrate

pH almost 8 (same as always)

I am due to clean the tank tomorrow. I did a gravel vac/40% water change last Friday. I used Aqua Plus water conditioner.

I am going to do a 25-30% water change right now, and put the baby in a breeding net/box.

I guess that is all I can do?? Anything else, let me know.

So sad :cry1

Jessica

:cry1 Awww man Jess,that is tough breaks!!!! My Lionhead Louie I swear lost an eye for that same reason...Right now,I think that you're doing the best that you can do-just keep a close eye on her..It's really hard to see what effects a strong filter intake can do damage wise to the insides of a goldie,let alone a baby.... :( I sure hope that it had just happened as you walked by-it's chances would be much better....Hun,I will keep my finger's crossed!!! :idont:hug

Poor baby! I wonder what could have brought it on that she got so weak all of a sudden....

Has she eaten normally the last few days? How big is she? Could it be that the suction of the filter is too strong for her, being so small and all? Did you change anything lately in her tank, or your routine? Did she get exposed to the fish that died earlier?

Hi guys, well bad news.

I think I know why she died. But first I'll answer questions.

She has eaten normally, every day. She is about an inch long, but her tail makes her longer. The filter never seemed to bother her before, and she would go right up to it while eating algea from the plants. Nothing at all changed.

The other fish that died, was a betta, I bought at nnnnnn. It died the very next day. I bought it because the water in the cup was so dirty you could not even see the betta. I think that may have a lot to do with why it died =o(

Do you remember this babies deformity? The bump on her stomach. Some of my other fry were also born with the same thing. They died early on. The bump seemed to fill with blood and they just died.

This baby had the bump, but lived. She was almost a year old.

I noticed that I could see food in her stomach last night, which I thought was odd, because i haven't noticed that since she was a baby. It made a straight line just like when she was a baby, and was starting to come out the other end....When I checked this morning, she was dead =o( but the bump was also filled with food, as if it leaked outside of her body, into her bump. I wonder if the bump was a hernia?

I feel terrible that she died. She was my first fry! I cried while I had her little funeral. And this may sound bad, but I was acutally a bit relieved when I saw her this morning and saw that the bump seemed to have something to do with her death. It did make me feel a little bit better to know that she may have died from that, rather than something I did, or poor water quality. I would never be able to forgive myself if it was maintenance that killed her.

The other babies that died early on, all acted normal too, and the blood started leaking out of nowhere into their bump and in a matter of minutes after being normal, they were dead.

I am almost afraid of my fish spawning after this first fiasco! But it was a year ago they spawned, and I've learned a lot more in a year, so yeah *deep breath* life goes on.

I think I am going to stay away from lfs fish from now on, at least in this area.

If I want to spawn goldfish, having the best genetics makes sense, so I should start saving my pennies for some quality fish to breed.

Jessica

I'm so sorry about your fish :cry1

:( Sorry to hear that your baby passed... In truth,if it wasn't going to have good quality of life(because of the bump & other hidden problems) then I guess it's good that it went now.. Oh so hard though...How attached we get in a year. :crp Hopefully your next time around will bring you much healthier babies... :heart

hope you treasured the memories well! your fishy will be missed dearly!!!!

Awww. :crp

Sorry you lost her, Jess. Those deformities are really hit and miss. especially when its obviously an internal one. At least it made it through culling and lived the good life while it was here. :):heart