Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Rescued Two Betta's From Walmart

I saw nnnnnn had a sale on betta's. Only $2.43 (our lfs charges 5.25). :yeah:

Anyway, I was NOT planning on getting a betta, because our nnnnnn usually never has betta's and I didn't want to buy a scummy nnnnnn betta even if they did.

Well I am strolling through the pet section looking for a christmas collar for my dog, and I see this shelf of betta's =o( They were in their little cups, but they were only half full, and some were only 1/4 full and barely covered the bettas.

I started looking at them, and the water was blue, I guess they must have had bag buddies or something in the water, and the water was so FILTHY in some of the cups, I couldn't hardly see the fish. They had these HUGE pellets sunk in some of them. I have no idea what kind of betta food this would be, because these pellets were like large pond pellets for goldfish, way to big for a betta.

I found one cup that was only 1/4 full and so dirty I couldn't see the fish in it. I looked really hard through the top, and established he was missing a bit of tail, and seemed to be lavender coloured, I put him in the cart, he comes home with me. Then I found another one to rescue. His cup had more water, and was not so dirty, but all the same, into the cart.

When I got these boys home, the one I could hardly see, the pity purchase turned out to be this fabulous irredescent lavender, with dark blue and red fins, and he is HUGE! He is godzilla compared to my betta's, he is godzilla next to any betta I have ever seen. I can't believe he's that big LOL. How did he even fit in that cup? I took pictures, but you really can't tell how big he is. He dwarfs every betta I have ever seen by at least an inch of body length.

Their names are Jingba and Zing Zingba.

Here is Jinga, the pity purchase, who turned out to be beautiful imo. The pictures do not do these boys justice. They are just regular nnnnnn betta's, but I think they are purty heehee. Jingba is missing some tail, and his fins are a lot darker in real life.

pictures050.jpg

pictures048.jpg

And this is Zing Zingba, his tail is folded over in the pictures, but it has since unfolded and is normal now.

pictures046.jpg

pictures044.jpg

And another aside, you'll probably all scream......Rainbow has been in the floating box in the 30 gal. He is a very passive male. Any of my other betta's would have been trying to fight the goldies through the plastic heehee. Rainbow hasn't acknowledged them once.

I got a net in case of emerg, and opened the top of the tank, and dumped him gently out of the box and into the tank with my small/medium goldies.

Crazy eh? I watched them for several hours while I was making supper and cleaning the kitchen (the 30 gal is in the kitchen). I just went and checked on them too.

He is fine. He is swimming all over the tank. None of the fish have even gone near him except chub chub, they are eating my new Pennywort plant together. He swam around and flared at the fake coral, the blue in the background, and the anarchis plant, but he didn't challange the fish at all, and they haven't bothered with him either.

I'll lock him back up tonight when I go to bed. But it's nice for him to get out for a swim. He's claimed the pennywort plant as his resting place heehee.

Jessica

Something is very wrong.

I just turned on the lights and looked at Jingbah, and he was dead. He was floating on his side at the bottom. I poked him, he didn't move. I took him out and put him in a betta jar, and started pouring water and sloshing it around.

He has had no gill movements for like 10 minutes. He is dead.

I took him out and was gently holding him in my hand, I was going to bury him. But I swear I felt his head move on my hand. Poor jingbah.....I'm going to give him more fishie CPR, yikes. I think he's dying if he's not already dead. He's probably dead and I'm crazy. What a horrible thing to have happen. My beautiful new betta =o(

Poor Jingba.

Guest hamstaman

WHAT!!! That's horrible how could that happen!!!! I'm guessing it's the lack of care in nnnnnn and the shock of moving and being fed and housed was so new.

Atleast he died in a real tank with a caring owner compared to the cup and disregarding sales people.

They are both beautiful fish

Ramy

OH NO!!!!! :( Thats horribe!, you should go check your water levels.

Maby he might come out of it... By the way that betta is lovely!

I also hate wallmart they don't take good care of there fishies.

Thanks guys. I am so sad. I was soooo excited about this betta =o( I am so sure this happened to me!! AAAACCCCCKKKKKK *Screams*

I think clean water must have shocked him. I acclimated him, but holy, you couldn't see what colour he was through the side of the cup when I bought him the water was so dirty.

Poor, poor betta.

Jessica

:( oh no...that's a terrible thing to happen :cry1 Poor little betta. They can be such sensitive little things. :heart

:cry1 I'm so sorry Jessica....

:cry1 I'm so sorry Jessica....

Aw, Jessica, I am so sorry about Jingbah. He was very pretty, and I was so happy that he had gotten a forever home where he would be taken care of wonderfully.

I think that the stress that these poor fish are put under before we get them is just too much for some of them.

I hope that Zing Zingba does well and thrives.

Jess... sorry to hear about your new fish. nnnnnn should have a fish guarantee don't they?

Barb

Hey, sorry about Jingbah. Look at it this way, at least he didn't die in a cup(I wouldn't call them cups, even). :cry I hate nooppee( when it comes to the fishies).

That's so sad :crp I'm so sorry your fish died. Darn that nnnnnn, and all the other stores that don't take their care seriously. There should be some laws that they have to follow when selling any type of living creature.

Sorry to hear that...

The problem with "rescuing" bettas from places like nnnnnn is that by making the purchase, you are just encouraging them to sell more of them. You'd be better off writing a very calm, adult letter to the store manager, providing info on the proper way to take care of bettas.

I will only buy bettas from stores that allow them to mingle in large tanks with peaceful community fish. Granted, it means the store can't carry as many as the ones with cups piled on top of each other, but it means they actually care about the fish... so they get my money! ;)