Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Does Anyone Breed Tosakin?

My daugher is adament that she wants a Tosakin like on the Hikari Gold fish food package (yeah dream on!!)

She is only 5, and I would like to find a tosakin, obviously not like the one on the hikari package, I am not bill gates here!

Does anyone know where you can find them in the US or Canada?

Jessica

looks like an oranda with a cashmere sweater on. hehe

Good luck finding that beauty

Haahaa maybe I could just find a red and white goldfish with a fused butterfly tail =oP As if she would know, she's 5. I am mean.

Jessica

Tosakin require specialized care to keep their tails in the shape that demarks the breed. Most breeders do not have the space or the time to fuss with them. I am sure that you do not either.

The tail is supposed to open as a butterfly tail and then curl up as does the one in the pic. TO keep a tail like this, breeders raise the fish in individual bowls - round sieves that float in a tank. Currents and other fish and fast swimming that builds undesirable muscle destroys the curvature of the tail.

There are many beautiful butterfly tail goldfish available for very little money. Try looking for a butterfly fantail - or a butterfly tailed moor or demekin. A nice butterfly tail is a thing of beauty, and a 5 year old (even if she is a goldfish expert of 5 years) would see "Tosakin" in the fish if you told her.

:)

post-27-1102172820.jpg

Very beautiful fish Daryl!! Thanks for the info.

I was looking at what I think was a Japanese site last night, I could not read it LOL. There were all kinds of lovely pictures of Tosakins, but they were all in little dishes, I was wondering about that! I had no idea. Thank you!

I have all the time in the world to mess with tails heehee, but I would not enjoy keeping the fish like that. You are right, I don't need one, because I would just have to pay big bucks for it, to destroy the very thing it was bred for, by letting it swim and play!!

I told her about the butterfly tails and showed her the picture and she agreed!

I have a lot of fish, but her two, are a lionhead and a ranchu. They both have short tails and she looks at that Hikari bag everyday and lets me know how much she wants a long tailed fish like Whitie and Woogie LOL.

Thank you!

Jessica

Gimme the site I'll help translate to the best of my knowledge on care and other relative info...

Also there are a few sites willing to ship the tosakin. Tell me if you come across that too. I'm REALLY INTO tosakins also.

Well the site had A LOT of writing, I don't expect you to translate all of that =o) And I apologize if it's not even Japanese, like I said, I can't read it so I don't know! I found the link on and english site that said it was Japanse.

Well anyway, here's the link. I just scrolled down and clicked on all the links and they take you to beautiful pictures.

Many of the pictures seem to be at a show, because the fish are in little bowls on tables.

Tosakin pages

Yikes my charecter program is'nt working right. If you can, can you take a snapshot if you got the charecter codec?

Also it's japanese

Edited by maniacholic

WOW that is a beautiful fish. It's hard to find anything even slightly exotic around here...I saw some chubby pearlscales at the LFS today, and fell in :heart

If only I had the room!

I'll try to translate it at the library when i have the patience. at the mean time your only hope is to goto canada and try to get in touch with a pet store owner who may give you info on a breeder's location etc. OR try to get in touch with the fewer numbers of breeders at new jersey or california. I doubt the ones in the US will be so willing to sell their tosakins though.

Jessica,

My little demekin butterfly tail, Marigold, looks very much like a tosakin. Her tail curls on the sides. Actually, one side curls up and one side curls down :D

She is very pretty, but is a poor swimmer, and does rest on the bottom more than other fish.

I found her in a tank at at local SuperPet store.

I hope you can find a pretty little "tosakin-look-a-like" for your daughter :D