Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Can You Buy Just A Canopy For A Tank

I need one for a 10 gal. I have the lights already (I actually have two!) but the stupid lid broke.

Can you buy just the lid part that the lights go on, or do you have to buy one with the lights included? (can you tell I've only bought tank packages lol).

What is the usual price of such a thing, so I'll know how much cash to bring? I try not to bring much money to the pet store, I am bad, bad, bad in there!!!!!

Jessica

I'm guessing you would have to find out if the brand of tank you bought supplied lids as a spare part. It may be expensive. If worse comes to worse you could buy a light that sits across on top of the tank independently and get a hood/canopy made for it. My lfs can get stands and hoods/canopies made to order using pine wood.

I hope i'm on the right track here. By "canopy" you mean a "hood"....right? :unsure:

Yes, the lid part. That part that sits on top of the tank and has the door to open to feed them, and the hole at the back for the filter. The lights sit on the glass part. I think I can buy an entirely new hood with lights for under $40, but I already have two light fixtures, just nothing to sit them on, so it makes no sense to add a third, so I was wondering if you could buy the hood, without the lights?

Thanks!

Jessica

I think I may have seen them at vvvv ...but I can't be certain.... I'm getting ready to purchase a 10 gal. tank and hood... lol... so I been looking at that stuff...and I think i remember seeing just the hood without the light, but again I can't be certain... I have a memory bout as long as my pinky nail...lol

Guest squeeker

You usually can, though they aren't always in stock. At the store I work at, you just put in an order and it comes in the next week. It might depend on the store and the brand, though. The plastic part is typically cheaper than the light fixture part by a significant amount.

Another option is a glass top instead of the regular black plastic canopy. They come with 2 pieces of glass. These are great because then you can use two light fixtures instead of just one.