Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

The PEARLSCALE

63 posts in this topic

Goldfish of the month: the PEARLSCALE

History

The pearlscale's first mentioning happened around the 1900s, and he is not considered one of the "normal" goldfish. A bit extravagant, his distinctive scales are worth a second glance. Although because of this feature some people might call him a "freak of nature". However, in my case, he is one of my favorite fish.

Features

The pearlscale is the only goldfish variety with differently shaped scales, which have a hard raised area in the center of each scale, usually white, which gives them the appearance of a pearl, hence the name. The pearlscale is a very plump and roundbodied fish (therefore being nicknamed "Golfball" sometimes), with all the finnage being in pairs, except of course for the dorsal fin.The body depth should be greater than 2/3 of the body length, the caudal fin should be evenly forked and divided. A webbed tail is not very desirable.

Calico2.jpg

Varieties and colors

Pearlscales are one of those goldfish varieties that come in all kinds of colors - red, red/white, calico, blue, black, even in chocolate. There are two major groups of pearlscales - with and without headgrowth. Yes, a pearlscale can have headgrowth, and in this case its called a Hamanishiki. The most desired headgrowth should be all in one piece, round and even, with no little growth behind the dominant headgrowth. This is very hard to achive, and most commonly hamanishiki have a flaw in their headgrowth one way or the other. A crowned pearlscale with the perfect wen is highly desirable and priced accordingly.

calicopearl.jpg

(Courtesy of Dandyorandas.com)

Food

Belonging into the group of goldfish, there is only one thing to say when it comes to food - if it fits into his mouth, it will be eaten. There is however one thing that needs to be looked at before feeding a pearlscale - his body shape. Being extremely round and plump, one can only imagine how cramped his internal organs are, and therefore precautions need to be taken when feeding the pearlscale. If fed unsoaked pellets and flakes, the dry food will soak up water from the intestines and will expand inside the fish, which can be a very dangerous thing when feeding like this is practiced on a regular basis. Expanding food will cause pressure on the surrounding organs, and over time causes damage to the swim bladder, exposing the pearlscale to constipation and swim bladder problems down the road.

So, go ahead folks, and soak those pellets and flakes, and otherwise feed the fish a variety of other foods as well - frozen food like brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia, as well as a variety of vegetable like lettuce, cucumber, thawed and deshelled peas. The latter one is an excellent remedy for mild cases of constipation, and should be in a pearlscale diet at least once a week.

Housing

Well, what can I say - it's a goldfish. Big and messy, 10 gl is the absolute minimum a pearlscale should be kept. Remember, the bigger the better. He does well with most other goldfish varieties, as long as he doesn't have to compete with faster fish for his food. So, comets and shubunkins, as well as wakin, are not a good idea with pearlscales. He is a big round fish, and winning a swimming marathon is just not the first thing on his priority list.

What else is there?

Being a fish with such extraordinary scales, it should be taken care that he keeps as many of those scales as possible. Reason being, once the scale falls of due to breeding damage or sharp objects in the tank, it will not grow back to its original shape. In its place is the usual flat scale that we see on all the other goldfish breeds. So, you wonna keep those beautiful scales, watch them!

There is the precautionary statement going around that those delicate scales need more calcium in the water than the "usual" goldfish. That might or might not be a factor, all I can say is that I have kept pearlscales for quite a few years now, and don't own a calcium test kit.

So, anybody getting a golfball today?

i have more a tennis ball actually! :lol: shes a massive 6" big and her gusset is huuuuuuge! she called blaze and ive had her about a year. very well trained as you can see from these pics! trust me, these doe not do her belly justice at all. shes put on tonne loads of weight recently! full of lovely eggies! oh, forgot to mention, shes a mummy x8 :D she paired up with a little black moor (talk about the odd couple!)

DSCF0045_WEB.jpg

DSCF0046_WEB.jpg

thanks for the info, andrea. blaze is actually with a shub at the moment throughout winter (hes an old boy) but she happily takes food from my hand :) how do you think she got that big??? :rofl

Edited by blinky000

I love pearlscales, although i've never had one. But i would get one if i had a bigger tank.

I would love to find one! I don't know of any place in Indianapolis or Chicago that would sell them! Anybody know?

ive got a pearlscale i did have 2 but lost one to dropsy :cry1 nice info.. ill get some pictures of mine later. love your pics amy :)

OH!!!! I have one! I have a pearlscale!

I rescued herfrom Walmarts.... what a sick lil fish!

She is much healthier now though. she's orange and white with two black beady eyes..... :)

pearlscales are one of my favorite...I just aquired a painted pearlscale, not realizing the process they go through... now that i know i wont buy another but she is cute ...I have two pearlscales, a hamanashiki and a painted, Bobby and Pink.

Mailbox...that is cutest pic ever! Are those yours?

Edited by Ranchugirl

Great fish everybody!! Mailbox, its funny to see those golfballs in with the pearlies!! :lol:

Tanya, found some pictures of yours yet? There gotta be more pearlies out there, folks!!

That pic of those pearlies with the golfballs is actually the winner in a goldfish set up contest. Those are AAA grade pearlies from singapore.

Oh, now i really miss my pearlscale, Fugly (see, I liked him so much I stole his name) :cry1

He was a lovely example, nice and round, with pointed face, and perfect scales, plus a nice divided tail, and a dorsal fin like a little flag. I tried to photo him so many times, but they never did him justice. he was orange and white.

They're such comdey swimmers; so fat that they waddle rather than paddle, fugly often found it easier to go backwards. He used to get stuck in the air jets too, and fired acorss the tank- when he escaped, he'd shoot me really evil looks, as if to say- you put that there on purpose- and sulk for a while, then go and do it all over again!

I don't feel up to getting any more fish- I'm too busy trying to look after what I've got left, but if and when I have the space and the inclinatuion, a pearlscale will be top of my must have list. And this time, I'll look after it better

Thanks Andrea I loved learning about those little guys. They have always caught my eye, but I would think it was bloating before my eyes every time I looked at it.

Maybe someday I will break down and get one.

Love that picture from Dandyorandas.........what a wen!!!

Guest PearlscaleFan

I lost one to dropsy aswell Tanya :cry

I love pearlscales :)

Im gonna get my own pearlscale factory when im older!

hehehe......

Thanks for the great Pearl Scale article, Andrea =o)

I have a baby pearlie named Moochie. She was under 1/2" when I bought her. I was hoping for an uncrowned Pearlscale LOL, but if you look at her closely in person, you can see what may be the beginning of a wen.

She is still very small, but has grown a lot since I've had her. I hope she is a big beautiful fat fish one day :D

Fish001.jpg

I got one that I have named Moustachio. It's a calico but is mostly red and white. He's got a little crown, two little bumps side by side. He's my favorite fish in my tank.

DSCF1150.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1139.jpg

EEEP X]

I positivly :heart pearlies x3

im most definatly getting one to put in my empty 25 gallon.

yayyy

they're just so darned cute :heart:heart:heart

Guest dani

I would love to find one! I don't know of any place in Indianapolis or Chicago that would sell them! Anybody know?

i got mine from a pond expo in crown point!

RIP: roli and poli

Well, here is one of my 3 pearlscales - the fattest and biggest one. He is also the oldest one, the other ones just being babies. He is also the only one that is a regular pearlie - the other two are crowned.

I got him over a year ago in a store with 3 others, but those unfortunately didn't make it past quarantine. Anyway, here is the little bugger. And yes, he was round when I got him, however he filled out like crazy. Could be because he is the only 100% seing fish in a tank full of telescopes. However badly outnumbered, he still seems to manage the most food. :rofl2

I got lucky with his scales - he hasn't lost any so far, and all look equal and nice.

PearliePossiblyForCalendar.jpg

PearlieFrom12508.jpg

Pearlscales are my new favorite- what a wen on that one from dandyorandas! WoW

I love goldfish but this breed gives me the creepy crawlies :o

I lost a really super round one to dropsy. He held on for so long I had to euthenize him. I was really pretty broken up about the whole thing. More than I though I would be anyway.

We now have Chowder who is not nearly as round, but super super happy to see people and much more of a mid tank swimmer than the other two (Ryu - red and Myu - white) who like the top.

fishes2.jpg

Edited by pditty

I am sorry you lost your pearlie to dropsy, Pditty. :(

Chowder looks cute - and he seems happy with himself. :thumbs:

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Aw I kinda want one of these cutie patooties! :D

They are my favs too. I love they way the wiggle their cute little bums when they swim