Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I Just Bought My First Snails,

I'll try to post a picture of them. They had a few different kinds at the lfs, but no ivory, blue or purple like I want ;o)

I just told the guy to pick me two that looked healthy, since I don't know the difference between what is what anyway.

I have one that is light brown with black stripes and a black one with light brown stripes. I think the owner called them Ramshorn snails?

I have to do some reading on here tonight, because I don't even know what I am supposed to be feeding them, and I think I heard they need liquid calcium? Where do I get liquid calcium and will it bother my fish?

Both of the snails have algea on them, is that bad?

I put a zuchini sp in there, and the one snail has been eating it non stop for the last 6 hours!!!! The other snail climbed up to the top of the glass, and is just sitting there.

I let my kids named them, and oh boy, there names are Hotwheels and

Mr. In-Mr. Out.

Sorry I had to make my pics so small to show them here! You might not be able to see all the green algea on them.

Jessica

post-539-1101611318.jpg

post-539-1101611351.jpg

Congratulations on your new snails :panana :yay: I bought another ramsorn snail too today.......Yay for both of us!!! I will go and take a photo and come back :D

I'm Back :D

The first photo is of both of them. The new one I bought today is on the left and Oliver my other ramshorn snail is on the right:

olivernew.jpg

This is a photo I took of Oliver a couple of days ago racing around the tank :lol:

oliveronthego.jpg

I really like the stripe patterns on your snails. My snails are just plain. I have another couple of Ramshorn snails, but they are really tiny, and they have black spot markings and a dark grey body. I cant take a pic because they are too small. I am fairly new to snails as well, but I think I read somewhere that algae on the snails wont hurt them.

I cant get calcium liquid where I am so put shell grit and egg shells in a corner filter. I hope that will look after their shells :unsure: I'm going to keep hunting for calcium liquid though becuase it's much easier and the corner filter is taking up precious space.

Do your snails have their own tank or do they have tank mates. My snails live in a 20ltr tank - 3 Applesnails, 4 Ramshorn snails, 2 danios, 4 madakas, 3 white clouds. One big happy family :grouphug

Mine are in with some goldfish! The goldfish don't even seem to notice them. They are in a 30 gallon, but I have a 44 gal that I can put them in, or a 10 gal if I need to move them.

My pH is almost 8, I read that is good for snails. *shrugs* I am still researching, I probably should have done this before I got the snails LOL. What do you feed yours?

That's funny that you like the colour of my snails, because I just said to myself "ah man, why didn't they have any of those pretty red/brown ones like yours" heehee. I think your snails are beautiful.

Mine look like they were probably at the lfs for awhile :o / I wonder how big they will get?

Jessica

I'm not sure how big they get. Your PH is excellent. I learnt from this forum that if PH drops below 7.0 that the water is too acidic and starts disolving the shells.

When they grow they might change colour, but I like the stripes. Mine look a bit plain. You might get the "Snail Bug" and buy some applesnails too. Apples are really pretty snails :heart

hi Jessicaandmarshall, you can fint liquid calcium in the saltwater section of your LPS, but be carefull as it somtimes will raise your PH.and your snails will eat any veggies you happen to have on hand!if you visit applesnail.net they have lots of good info on these snails. Hope I helped!

P.S. I like the stripes too, it looks cool!! B)

Congrats jessica!!! :D i need to be off and get my self some new

snails aswell for my new tanks he hehe

ordinairy pond snails cost about ?1.50

congrats on the snails. I absolutely LOVE all snails!! they are soooo cute!

usually they cost anywhere from $1 to $3 but I wouldn't buy them for any more than that. One of my LPS has them for $5!!!!! OUCH!!!

One lfs shop charged $4.50 for applesnails, and an other for $2 (??????)