Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gwen

Moor Gettign Enuff Food?

i have a fantail and a moor in a 20 gal., both about the same size. they used to be in much tighter quarters until i realized the mistake i'm making and moved them. they're doing fine now, even tho the tank is still cycling, xcept i am woried the fantail is stealign the moor's share of food.

the moor doesnt seem to see a whole lot, and now there's a lot more space for teh food to float about, and by the time he gets any, the fantail just darts ahead and snatches it from under his nose; like, from 10 sinking pellets, the moor would get 2-3, and the fantail the rest :( what should i do?

Moors do get sight problems so your fish isn't unusual. I have a fish with vision problems and we manage by feeding sinking pellets which I aim right in front of his face. He doesn't get all of them but he's doing well so I'm not worried.

If you are really concerned you could divide the tank at feeding time. You can buy tank dividers or you could just use a condensation cover (very very cheap) as it's only during feeding time that you will use it.

hmm great idea, why didnt i think of that *slaps self* ? :thud the only prob i might have with that is that most of the time the two darlings swim right next to eachother, like glued :) (which also makes it easy for the fantail to steal the moor's food practically out of his mouth.) I'm just wonderign if i wouldnt stress them too much by shooing them apart, and sticking a big piece of glass in the tan 2x a day. i'm working on training them to feed out of my hand but that may take a while, theyre kinda shy, not like the veiltail i used to have who would practically crawl up my sleeve :)

I recommend training him to eat off your finger, which is what I do with my moore. He's so blind that he wouldn't get any food otherwise. I just soak the pellets, and then stick one on the end of my finger. I then hold it at the surface of the water and he'll come up and nibble it off my finger....works like a charm. If they seem scared of you, you just have to be patient. Once he realizes that he'll get food from your finger, he'll start nibbling at it even when you're just cleaning the tank and stuff. Very cute!

I, too, have trained my slower eaters to eat off the end of my finger. It makes me feel better to be sure that they are getting their share :D

It is fun, too!