Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Erika

Uh Ohh.. May Have Trouble!

I started a new thread hoping that it will attract mroe attention, I was looking at the babies a few minutes ago, and I noticed a dead one that was covered in fungus. I know the fungus came AFTER it died, but I've noticed a little bit of fungus on some of the babies tails and I think it's why some oare having trouble swimming. What do I do about this?? I just did their water change, and I've always kept salt in the tank. I've heard of certain ick meds for keeping fungus off of eggs, but I think the only things I have in the house are Quick Cure and Aquari-Sol. Help guys, I don't want to lose these babies!!

i hope you can get the methylene blue that we discussed. let us know how its going. :heart

you could use an anti-fungal treatment at half dose or maybe salt at 0.3% perminantly. that worked for mine :) good luck!

Edited by blinky000

No clue. But if you think you are going to lose them if you don't do something, I would try anything. Good luck.

Thanks guys! Amy, I thought I had the tank at .3, but after checking last night, it was only .08, so I'm gettign it up there!

Something else I noticed... I was watching them swim, and I saw a "shiver" from a few, and at first I was thinking, Oh ######, flukes, but after testing the water, I had a HUGE nitrite spike, and nitrites were almost 2.0!!! I have no idea how or why. So, I did a huge water change, added more salt, and now I have my fingers crossed. I'm going to start culling them today, so many have twisted backs and stuff, but 90% are fine. Wish me luck guys, this is gonna kill me. :(

aww, i know what you mean. culling is almost like the breeders dirty little secret, you know? :unsure:

as for the nitrites, its no wonder about the fungus! :o youve got prime or some other detox, dont you? maybe utilizing it to keep any rising toxins at bay would be a good idea. ;)

either way, good luck with the culling. be strong woman! :D

paul

Yeah, all I use is Prime and I doubled the dose last night, and they seem to be doing better today. I'm off to find some methylene though.

Oh I didn't cull - but I didn't see any major deforminties either. I had to "cull" a puppy once - I can't use the other word. She was the runt and very under developed - I still hate that I did it - I should have just let nature take it's course. :cry1

Sweeeet, "The Fish Tank" has methelene blue... so I'll be heading there as soon as the cousin and old man get back with my CAR!! Don't ask why they took my car... I dunno, but I have STUFF I NEED TO DO TODAY. <_<

Louise--

Culling is the term for taking deformed fry and *humanely* killing them for reasons of long term problems. Fish that have severe deformaties aren't going to live anyway, and if they do, they develop problems from their deformaties. Sounds cruel, but it's neccessary. :(

K. I got some methylene blue... now how much do I need to put in there? Anyone? Anyone? :D

That is lousy, Erika, that you have fungus going on in the baby tank right now.... :hug

I read on FishPharmacy, a seller of fish medications, that they make a stock solution, and then add 1 drop per gallon of water. Is there a dosage on the package you got?

Yeah, there was 2 dosages, one was one teaspoon per 3 gallons of water, then the other was for fry and eggs, and reccomended one teaspoon per 10 gallons... I did the latter. The water is so blue though, it's hard to see what's going on! I'll do another water change tonight, and before adding the methylene I'll look and see which ones to cull. I'm going to do it tonight too. I've put it off long enough. I have a few fry that are bent at almost a 90 degree angle, so I'll be taking them first.

The good thing about that methylene blue is that it says it helps fish that have been exposed to nitrites, and they certainly have. I'm almost wondering if it's finrot and not fungus the more I look since I only see it on their tailfins.