Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Stars Mom

Guest starsmom

Jessica:

No, they didn't hatch! :( I posted on applesnail.net about it. A lot of the clutches seemed to be infertile. I have one that I'm still waiting on, that I left on the tank glass. Not sure if they dried out/got too hot/too cold. I am very dissappointed to say I don't have any baby snails, although I had NINE clutches.

To top it off, I had a problem with my fireplace and I lost two snails. The damper was "off the track" because an ex-boyfriend of mine was messing with it end of last season. I opened it, started a fire, went down to get more wood, and it fell shut! Got back upstairs, and there was smoke everywhere! I lost two snails the next morning, no sign of anything, just dead! I am so lucky that all my fish and other snails are fine, those two must have been near the top or something.

So, sorry to say, no snails. I thought getting them to hatch would be easy, but I guess it's not as simple as it sounds!

If I do happen to get any, I will post.

Laura

Sorry to hear that. :( I remember back when I first met Sara she hatched a lot of baby apple snails. She had hundreds of them! I think what she did was keep them in a plastic container (like the disposable Gladware) where they could stay moist and warm but not drown. You could just poke small holes in it so they get oxygen.

Anyway hope that helps a bit and good luck! The babies are soooo adorable!

Guest starsmom

jsrtist:

I tried the gladware, put some clutches on a piece of styrofoam floating in a bit of water, punched holes in the top, and sat it on top of the tank light for heat. Didn't work. Then, I tried putting them on a pastic soap dish suction cupped inside my tank above the waterline. That didn't work either. I left a clutch on the tank glass, that one didn't hatch. *sigh*

I am thinking that it is just too cold in my house, I keep it at 60 degrees because I can't afford to use a lot of heating oil this winter. Maybe in spring/summer, I'll have better luck!

The only other thing I could try is putting the gladware container on my cat's heated sleeping mat. Although I don't think he'd like that very much. He gets mad at me when I even move it to give the cover a cleaning...

Laura