blinky000

Breeding Goldies

76 posts in this topic

Guest Trobe

Hi... i was wondering if it is possible to breed a normal goldfish with one of them fancy ones ... (the fatter ones with the fancy tails)???? Because i've got a bunch of goldfish i was thinking about breeding but all the normal ones are males... the only females i have are the black one with the Bugged out eyes and the fatter one with the fancy tail.... just wondering if it was possible to cross breed them...

Hi... i was wondering if it is possible to breed a normal goldfish with one of them fancy ones ... (the fatter ones with the fancy tails)????  Because i've got a bunch of goldfish i was thinking about breeding but all the normal ones are males... the only females i have are the black one with the Bugged out eyes and the fatter one with the fancy tail.... just wondering if it was possible to cross breed them...

405601[/snapback]

All goldfish are one species and it is perfectly ok to cross-breed. U can even cross-breed them with koi :D

Guest Trobe

yeah ... but is there any side effects???.... does cross breeding affect the amount of offspring???... does it affect the amount of birth defects???....

I don't think any of the side effects u mentioned will occur. U'll get lotsa mixed-up goldies though :D

Guest Angie11585

I have two goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, and this morning I saw them laying eggs. I don't really know what to do.... I took the female out of the tank because she kept eating the eggs. Should I take the eggs out?? If so, when? I have an extra 2 gallon tank I could use, but not a special sponge filter. I really have no clue what to do, can anyone help me??? Thank you so much!!!!

Guest Angie11585

ok, well now I've read that I should remove the parents because they are eating the eggs, and that I should leave the eggs there until they hatch. But should I take a lot of the water out? If so, should I turn off the filter? I hope they hatch!!

Guest shawnja

how many times can u try the 1 to 2 weeks of cold water plan a year?

and witch one works better? the 1 to 2 week method or the 4 month method

Edited by shawnja

that's really help full thank-you :D

My 2 ranchu's have been spawning everynight for about a week now but still no eggs. Is this something bad or do i just have to wait a couple more days?

My 2 ranchu's have been spawning everynight for about a week now but still no eggs. Is this something bad or do i just have to wait a couple more days?

455195[/snapback]

chasing or really fast swimming can also be a sign of flashing or parasites, if you don't see any eggs I think you should check your water parameter

Guest Big Fish

is it bad for a brother and sister goldfish to mate? please reply!

Guest Big Fish

is it bad for a brother and sister goldfish to mate? please reply!

Guest goldfish007

My goldfish are apparently having it easy breeding, they won't stop.

They've breed, laid eggs and chilled for aobut a week. I wake up at 7 am and they are doing it again!

Won't they wear out?

Their tank will be full of fungusy white eggs :P

what will happen ??

usually they have these 'flurries' of breeding. eventually theyll give up. and if you leave the eggs in the tank, the majority will get eaten anyway. just try keeping the water at a constant temperature if you can but once breeding has started theyll be at it for weeks in my experience. i had my fish last summer giving me around 500 eggs around twice a week for over a month. they literally would not stop. eventually when theyre all spawned out a switch will flick and theyll just stop. can just wait really :)

Guest RoyMoor

How do I know if my goldie has laid eggs? or is it obvious? do they float? or do they lay at the bottom? I am also a newbie at this and I have noticed that my common has been chasing my Moor ALOT and very closely so i have suspiscion that they may be mating... I have never actually SEEN them in the act... but he has been chasing her alot... so how do I know when she lays them if she does when I'm not around? what should I look for?

Guest DPFHPRES

From my experince they stick to plants and look like a clear pinhead thats how I tell if mine have spawned

Guest Doan Thuy Vi

Hi that is Cool, but unfortunatley I cant do it beause i am a beginner is their anyway you can help me on my questions. how can i breed my goldfish the best way plz remeber i am a beginner plz repley to me separtley on my email adress

ca--vang@hotmail.com :(:cry1

CAN YOU PLZ HELP ME AMY (BLINKYOOO) thank you

Edited by Doan Thuy Vi

Guest Doan Thuy Vi

hi it is me agian um what do i do if my water is murky or poor in quality

thankx

Hi Blinky000,

Can you help me with some of my questions about the care of fry, please....

1. My fry were out of their egg just past Sunday...Today is Wednesday. Does this make them 4 day old?

2. Some are staying at the bottom of the aquarium and some are swimming....are the ones at the bottom going to die according to your experience?

3. How many times in a day do I siphon? Each 1-2 hours after feeding? or Once a day? It's quite impossible to clean the whole bottom of the aquarium...I find that I stress the fry each time I get in to siphon some dirt or food.

4. The filter is made safe for the fry...do I need to change or clean the filter in a month's time as well as the water? (It is quite impossible for me to take or clean the filter, the aquarium I am currently using is 10"x5.5"x4"of water. I have about 20+ fry still active.)

So far...those are the only questions I have that are bothering me...

Thanks...

Edited by hope28

Guest akim

hi thanks for all that info but i have a problem. i live in tanzania(formaly tanganyika) which is not that keen about having fish as pets nor as business. as a result that is very less fish equipment here and a vey less variety of fish. throughout my two years of keeping goldfish, i have bought many but now have a good pair of red caps(fancy tail) which look very healthy apart from some missing scales.i also have a scissor tailed brown male not that attractive but fast and powerful. i want to know how to breed them but there is so much different info on the web. i tried buying books but they dont ship them here. i dont have methyl blue but recently found a fish medecine (white spot remover) which has it as a key ingredient. i dont have aquarium salt but i have a sponge filter. i got the brine shrimp eggs with the aquarium( it had a lid but the seal was broken). i tried growing this shrimp by putting the eggs in a big jar of water but all igot after 3 days is stinking water and floating eggs only(still have many eggs). i have a 200 litre aquarium but i dont know how much is that in gallons. all i want is to breed my goldfish as i have already bred live bearers such as swordtails and guppies and mollies, i tried barbs but couldnt. do you think i should try kois? can you please help me.

:)

Guest Miss Eccles

hey i am completely new to this.

my fish was chasing the other one for ages and i didnt know why so i looked it up on the net and it said it was because they are trying to mate. i then looked at the plant and it had eggs on so i took it out, put it in a small pot/tank and added a bit of heat from a lamp (not so its boiling :rolleyes: ). they hatched 3-4 days later, and now they have been hatched for a day and a half. they laid at the bottom and wiggled so i guess they were eating their yolk sacks.... they were then swimming around but i just checked on them and i cant see any swimming around (i only had about 5 that i could see alive because it was only a small batch of eggs) and they are laying on the bottom and not wiggling anymore... are they dead? i fed them a tiny bit of egg yolk just incase there was no food in the water, but it hasnt helped.... :(

i just read that goldfish mature for breeding at a year old.... optimum age is 3 years? i bought mine from the petshop in october 2006.... i was thinking that maybe they are too young to produce strong healthy babies?

please help if you can. any advice about the age of the fish, anything i have done wrong, or anything i should do will be appreciated :)

Do you have any aeration in your water? (airstone?) You should try to post your own thread in the breeding section so you can get more help. :)

Oh and welcome to the site! :D

Guest Miss Eccles

ok il do that :) thanks