Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest crs7298

Are These Goldfish Eggs?

Guest crs7298

Hi, I just found these in my tank awhile ago. Are these gold fish eggs? I also have 1 snail in the tank. I removed them to another tank in case they were eggs. My kids are tickled to possibly have baby goldfish. :-) Please let me know what these are and what on earth I do next. I will post a link to the pics. I hope this works.

Thanks in advance,

Crystal

http://www.geocities.com/crs7298/fisheggs.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/crs7298/fisheggs2.jpg

Guest crs7298

Oh by the way sometimes you have to click on the link more than once to get it to open. Geocities is crazy. :-)

Crystal

yup they look like eggs to me :) . mine never hatched though so im not sure what to do with them if and when they do

What kind of snails do you have? I don't think they're goldfish eggs simply because of the clear goo surrounding them. How old are the eggs? With goldfish eggs after a couple days you can see a baby goldfish inside.

Guest crs7298

I only have 1 snail and I have no clue what it is. It was given to me several weeks ago. I think it was the only snail in the tank before I had it even. I noticed the eggs in the plant in the middle of the night last night and they weren't there the night before. So it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. The snail had been all over that plant the night before though which we thought was kind of strange. They definitely have a gel like substance all over them. I guess I will know soon. LOL!

Thanks,

Crystal

I am not sure what goldfish eggs look like - but from looking around on the net they don't seem to be in the gel sack as erika mentioned....what else do you have in the tank?

Yeah, those are snail eggs. What kind of snails do you have??

I believe they are snail eggs (snails are a-sexual meaning they can reproduce on their own incase you were thinking it wasn't possible with just the one snail) as that would explain both the goo encasing the eggs as well as why the snail was "all over the plant" earlier.

I believe they are snail eggs (snails are a-sexual meaning they can reproduce on their own incase you were thinking it wasn't possible with just the one snail) as that would explain both the goo encasing the eggs as well as why the snail was "all over the plant" earlier.

Nope. snails ARE asexual but they can ONLY be one sex at a time so it will be most likely that it isnt, good guess though

Actually, there are some kinds of snails that can impregnate themselves... kinda freaky to think about.

Apple snails are only one sex or another, they're not hermaphodisic or whatever. Just male OR female, and all snails if female, can store sperm inside themselves for up to six months! So it's possible that you have a female that mated at one time or another and is laying eggs from that... but they're definetly snail eggs. Good luck!

Besides, female snails can carry the fertilized eggs around for several weeks before she decides to lay them someplace. I have bought snails from a store, and a few weeks later there were eggs on the walls despite the fact there the snail was the only on in the tank... :)