Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chellekins27

Ummm...

today i tried putting cappy, my 2yr+ oranda back in the 50 gal and he/she was getting beaten up!!! :angry: one of my other fish in particular was doing the nose-at-butt bit and chasing poor cappy EVERYWHERE!! my problem is, cappy is extremely FAT. i don't think this is normal. also, since this fish has gotten this fat, it has had swimming problems, which is why i separated them in the first place. could cappy be full of eggs? and if so, what do i do? try to get cappy to lay them? will they reabsorb? this has been going on for about a month. cappy has always been one of the weaker swimmers, but this is rediculous. i have an empty 10 gal right now, but don't really want fry, for one thing, no time for teh upkeep on that kind of project. what should i do?

oh, someone on an earlier post said that thier fish had an outie (swollen?) anal gland and this was how they knew thier fish was female and ready to breed? cappy also has that going on too.

Guest Sapphyra

Yea, females have outties... I think it was jsrtist that told me to fast my female for a few days if I didn't want fry.. Have you tried this? Apparently she'll reabsorb the eggs from fasting.

will fasting hurt the other fish? i have two baby pandas in there too. the longest i've ever fasted was a day... *worried*

or shoudl i just put her back in with the others and let them help induce the egg laying and then just clean out the eggs?

Guest Sapphyra

How badly is she getting picked on? Since you don't want fry, you may want to move her in case she gets hurt too badly from the boys... plus if you move her, you'll be able to fast her..

actually, she's been moved for about a month now, about how long this has been going on. the prob is she is in a 20 gal right now with two baby pandas. i have the empty 10 gal i could use, but not sure whether to put her in there since there hasn't been a fish in there for a while. and also, she's huge. i felt bad movign her from the 50 to tyhe 20, the 10 would be even worse. she's just gotten that big. she is one of the originals from when i set the tank up 2 and a half years ago. she's my third largest fish right now, maybe tied for second at about 6 inches, maybe a little more. can i put a fish that large in a 10 gal? it has a ugf, hanging power filter, heater, and bubble wand. only i just know she would look so cramped. but would that be possible?

here's a pic, can't really see her belly all that well and the pic is a little fuzzy, but this is her.

post-13-1064985675.jpg

Guest Sapphyra

It should be fine temporarily in order to let her rest and fast her.

i'm going to move cappy tonight, but i wonder... could this have happened because i put a heater in with them? the water was getting really cold, around 60-65 as the temp outside dropped and so i got the heater. could the raise in temp after being that cold have induced this?

just a thought.

Guest Sapphyra

Hmm.. don't people raise the temp of their tank to get their goldies into breeding mood?

that's my question. the water was colder due to the temp outside dropping and we hadn't yet shut all our windows. but then we did and i also put in a heater and raised teh temp. i'm thinking that may have been what induced the spawning. but, 10 gal is moved upstairs, temp is being adjusted as we speak, cappy will be moving in shortly. wish *her* luck!