Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3fishinatank

He May Be A She? Really Fat

Guest 3fishinatank

I'm very new to this, all of the above...owning the fish etc the whole nine yards...I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 lionheads, 2 black moor, 2 cory cats and 1 pleco. My "oldest" lionhead was named.....yes Nemo.....by my two year old, and now I think that he is a she......the fish is very very fat and has been kind of sluggish, well two days ago we had little white...I'm assuming...eggs stuck in half a dozen places on the sides of our tank. Having no knowledge of what to do....when we woke up the next morning, they were gone, except for about five that are still there that are up near the water line. But Nemo is still hanging out on the bottom, not even swimming eagerly up to the surface when he/she see's the food canister come out. ?? Is she full of eggs and can't release them? Is he/she sick? No physical deformities are obvious to me except for being extremely round in the belly, but Nemo has always been the biggest plumpest fish in our tank. The other fish all seem to be fine...no ick or cloudiness in the water.....what's the deal? Any input would be great...thanks!

Guest 3fishinatank

:cry1

Well, no one answered my post and I guess it wouldn't have mattered.....poor little Nemo died while I went out to run an errand this morning, fortunately my daughter didn't notice and I gave him a "buriel" while she took a nap this afternoon.....now I'm concerned about the other fish in the tank....I noticed when I took Nemo out of the tank that it seemed as if his anal opening was bulging out alot and very red....almost like his insides were going to come out? Poor little thing.....Does this sound like something that the other fish will get too? Should I treat the water with something now that there has been a dead fish in it? If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

:( thats so sad. im sorry. sounds like dropsy to me. its due to internal bacteria, i *think* it makes them retain water or something like that. ill check and post back as soon as i can. were his scales standing out like a pinecone? this is a symptom of dropsy as is bulging eyes. did he have either of these symptoms? they dont always happen with dropsy though. they can just get fat and die like nemo. if any of the others start getting any of the above symptoms i would treat for internal bacterial infections right away. you can get these from the lfs. good luck with everyone else.

p.s. i just thought it might be ruptured ovaries but i dont recon she's get that fat if that was the only problem. what do you think, andrea? you probably know more about that than i do.

Oh, I'm so sorry. What are your water parameters? How often do you do water changes?

Guest 3fishinatank

I do 20% water changes one a week and I clean the filter every other day, I have the old style reusable filter.....but I have been doing this with the tank since we got it, several months ago....the water stays crystal clear and the temp stays at about 70 degrees.....we have a lot of windows in our house so it is virtually impossible to keep the tank away from sunny windows.....an algae scraper and the pleco seem to keep the algae under control and the only two hollow ornaments we have in the tank are both aerated with bubble stones.....I'm not sure what else to do.....I have not ever added salt to the tank....I have heard that this helps....how? and should I?

Blinky may be right, it could have been dropsy. I'm sure that you've heard the rant before but your fish could have gotten sick because of the overcrowding in your tank. You had 4 fancies which require 10 gallons of water each so they alone should be in a 40 gallon tank. Your cory cats should probably have the minimum of 5 gallons for both of them. If your pleco is a common one, he should probably have about 20 gallons for himself as they get huge and produce a lot of waste. You should have about a 70 gallon tank for them all as poor water quality leads to illness, disease, and parasites. Since you have a 30 gallon I would suggest saving money for another tank that would give them all the space that they need. Also, in the meantime I would get a testing kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and would test that water daily and do daily water changes to bring the levels down to normal. I would probably do 30% daily water change. I had to do this before when I was overstocked so I know what it's like! I had 2 fancies and a comet in a 20 gallon and I was doing water changes every two days until I got my 40 gallon. I hope this helps you!

Guest 3fishinatank
:( Actually I had not been told that my tank is overstocked....I had read several times and been told by the people in the Aquatic store that we should have one gallon of water per inch of fish....ex goldfish approx six gallons per goldfish, and I had 3 (now only two that Nemo died) the pleco is just a little teenee guy and I intended to give him to my brother who has a 75 gallon tank when he started to get too big....but no one has told me, until you...that my tank was overstocked....I had no idea. Should I treat the water in addition to more frequent water changes since Nemo died.....? And also will salt help?

I thought that you had 4 goldfish sorry about the confusion. In your first post you said that you had 2 lionheads and 2 black moors. Whoopsie! Anyway I'm sorry about Nemo. :( So, I would take the pleco out as soon as possible. I don't know if you knew this but common plecos and goldfish are not compatible. It has been known that common plecos will try to suck on goldfish because they have a thick slime coat. It might not happen now but why take the chance? Okay so I wouldn't get anymore fish because if you give away your pleco your tank won't be overstocked. I know I'm being a nag but have you thought about getting a test kit yet? Anyways, I would do a 60% water change and start them all on an antibacterial treatment just to be on the safe side. Just find a broad spectrum antibacterial treatment. Hope this helps!

a few years ago before i knew about plecos and goldfish, i had woken up one morning to find my pleco sucking away on the belly of my dead goldfish. so yeah i think you should take out the pleco before its too late :(

Guest 3fishinatank

Eew..I didn't know that I thought I read on this site that they(pleco & fancies) were compatible. Anyway, my brother would be happy to have him. I am not planning on getting anymore fish. We are a military family and my brother will soon inherit the whole tank to avoid us having to move them from place to place. Thank you for the advice....I will get the test kit and treatment for the water.