Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

A Birth Defect, Growth Or ?

Ok quick run down (sorry if this becomes a novel).

Last January Whitie spawned with Woogie. It was Whities first spawn, and only a small number of eggs resulted. Almost all of them hatched, and I only ended up with 12 fry.

All of the fry ended up dying except for one. All of the fry were physically deformed except for one, and that one died. One *possibly* deformed fry survived. (I did not cull any).

I followed directions carefully, and kept their water pristine, but they all eventually died within a couple of months except one.

Now this one fry that I have left has always had this bump on her stomach. Ever since she hatched and grew enough you could see it.

She was kept in a 10 gallon alone up until last week.

I seeded a 29 gallon with two established filters, and some water from an established tank, I put the fry in that with two other fish.

I have been checking the water in the 29 gallon and doing daily water changes. So far, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate barely 1ppm.

This tank has been running for 10 days now. Params have remained the same every time I checked, daily.

Yesterday the little fry started hiding. She hid all day with clamped fins. Hid all night, and all this morning. She was coming out for food, so I guess that is a good sign.

The bump or growth or defect or whatever it is on her stomach has turned brownish red like blood.

This worries me, because the other fry with that same defect, all had the bump seem to leak blood and they died within hours. Granted they were only a few weeks/months old.

I quickly moved the little fry from the 29 gallon around noon today.

I placed her in the 44 gallon in my living room that has been running for over a year.

She seems fine now. Is swimming with the big fish (she is the size of Whities eye ball!) picking at algae on ornaments and generally acting like a normal fish.

She still has the red marks on her bump though.

I've checked and rechecked the water in the 29 gallon. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate slight colour change, but nothing major, maybe 1ppm. pH somewhere between 7.5 and 8 (same as all my tanks).

I cannot figure out what is wrong with that tank. The other fish in it look a bit stressed too. I'm not sure if something is wrong with them, or if it's because they are not used to such bright lighting or being in such a busy room of the house.

But mostly I want to know what this bump is on my fish. Is it a tumor, defect, or is it supposed to be there at this age?

Here are some pictures. The bump is on her stomach. I don't have pictures of the blood colour on it, because the big fish hog the glass whenever I try to get a picture of her, and she is so small she has to move out of their way or get bull dozed.

Any suggestions or further tests for my tank are welcome.

Jessica

post-539-1098664032.jpg

post-539-1098664098.jpg

Is it that size, in proportion to the fish, since the fish was a little fry? Or have you seen it growing bigger lately? At a faster rate than the fish itself?

It seems to grow in proportion to the fish. It was small when she was small, and now that she is bigger, it has grown with her.

Do you have any idea what this is?

By the way, it is not red anymore. The blood colour is all gone.

I retested the water in the tank she has been in again today. It was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, a tiny bit of nitrate, and the pH was the usual, just under 8. I have no idea why she got sick in that tank. Any ideas? Could a spike happen so fast that it appeared and disappeared over night?

The good news she is doing great in the big tank. But I am still wondering why she has the bump.

Thanks

Jessica

To me it looks like a defect hun :(

hi jess!

yes. when you seed a tank with media or a filter that has been running on another tank, it could possible take up to a week for the cycle to become established enough that there is a definitive balance between all the bacterias in question. little burps and warbles are almost always expected to happen unless you use a filter that is so mucked up that there is an over abundance of somas and bacter thriving therein. thats why its very important to utilize prime (double and triple doses) during the beginning of a newly set-up tank (pre-colonized or not). im not saying that its the cure all or anything, more like its better to be safe than sorry. ;)

as far as the growth goes, i dont know enough about breeding and deformities to give you an educated guess. hopefully andrea can help you out some more in that department.

either way, i sure hope that its a benign growth that your little one has. ive got my fins, err, fingers crossed for you! :)

Could it be a hernia?

A congenital weakness in the gut could be the cause?

Yeah, I would guess a birth defect as well, Jess. And as long as it doesn't bother her in any way, I would just leave it at that. You never know though how deep into her body is going, and it might effect internal organs over time. Its just a wait and see at this time..... :)