Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jetman73

Anyone Going Too The Afkaps

Does anyone here plan on going too the show. I know it is a long way off since it is in march but I will be there and would love too meet some board members.

Also plan on doing the wet lab. Last year it was only $50 for 8 hours but they have not posted any info about the upcoming show yet. If you ask me, that sounds like the best $50 you will ever spend if you plan on staying in the hobby.

Anyone here ever been too one of their shows?

Where and when is it? I would love to go to a show one time. The only one Ive ever been to was at the Disneyland hotel in about 1990 and I decided then and there that I had to build a pond!

It is in orlando on march 5,6, and 7th. They also have a goldfish show too. Check out their website at www.afkaps.com and they have lots of pics from last years show.

I will definetely be there!! I enjoyed it the last 2 years in a row, although I didnt bring any goldies to the show, since I didnt wonna expose them to a 3-hour car drive and a sleepover in hotel room. BUT......since I live in Kissimmee now, all I have to do is shove as many goldies as I want into a bucket of water and drive for 15 min! :happydance

There is no way that Gail is gonna take home all the goldie prizes next year! :P

I was thinking about attending the wet lab last year, but somehow it didnt seem all that important, and I rather spent some time with the family. Had the hotel right next to Holiday in, and we could see the koi tent from our room. It was cool to stand out there in the middle of the night, and see the koi swimming!

I am planning on doing the wet lab next year, and to meet Doc Johnson, if he is gonna be there again!

I made a web page from the Afkaps show, and its posted on the Tropical koi club webpage somewhere hidden, if anyone is interested....Its on koifla.com Our webmaster has put it somewhere on there, but it needs a bit of searching around.... ;)

2 Years and you still have not done the wet lab. Shame on you. Just kidding.

I will be there on friday and saturday and can't wait for the wet lab. I wish you the best of luck entering your fish. I don't think you will need it if that crowned pearl is coming along with you. That 15 minute drive makes me jealous but I will be more than happier too make my 2 hour drive.

How are the smaller fish they have for sale there? I am looking to pick up a couple of small koi(6") and either a ranchu or crowned pearlscale.

That link is also very nice. Thanks

Its still soooo long until March! :rofl

Thanks Ranchu for all the advice. You say Gunn for the best ranchu's, right?

I know it is in march but I am already planning now since I got the bug pretty bad. Hopefully I'll see you and anyone else from the board that decides too attend the wet lab. Good luck with your newest 300 gallon tub since after reading that post I think you have the bug even worse than me.

That bug is impossible to cure! Not that I ever want to anyway! :) Maybe we should get ourselves some Koko t-shirts, so we can recognize each other!

You will have no problems spotting me. I am 6'4", 250 lbs and wear my trademark New York Jets hat everywhere. Hence, the jetman screen name.

I also ordered my first microscope. It is capable of from between 40x-400x and has its own illumination. Picked it up at amazon the other day for $90 and then today found it for $20 cheaper. Live and learn. I will have too get as much practice on it as I can in the next 5 months. If you have a scope what type are you using? If there are any updates about the show I will post it in this thread.

I wish I had the wet lab training beforehand since now I am force feeding my 5" sanke that got sucked through my bottom drain and ended up in the pump basket for 2-4 hours at 4,000 gph. Amazingly after 5 days this fish is still alive after his remarkable trip that included about 30' of pipe, 4 90 degree elbows, and a jandy valve.

Alright now guys....

You have me looking at the price of flights now! I've never been to a show and I'm dying to go to one. I'm in PA which is waaayyyy to far of a drive for me, but if I could find a cheap flight I may be able to convice my hubby for a long weekend. Hmmm...looking around to see what I could sell on ebay....wonder what hubby wouldn't miss..... :rofl

Did I forget too mention what the weather is like in florida during march. Don't forget your shorts, tank tops, swimsuits and suntan lotion. Just another thought for you.

Yeah, our weather beats the PA snow plower any day! :P

No microscope yet on this end, I am still looking around. What brand do you have? Is yours something with a moveable stage and light source? I have seen a neat microscope used by Terry from the GFSA, but that thing was a couple of 100$s....

I know I dont really have to go that high in resolution to see the bugs clearly....It would be better if I would have some practice before the wet lab.... <_>

How on earth did your koi manage to survive that journey? Is he okay now?

Well the microscope I just received does go between 40x-400x which should be good for diagnosing parasites on koi and goldfish. I will be doing my first scraping tomorrow. It has its own light source but does not have a moveable stage(would be a nice upgrade). It is made by C&A Scientific and goes under the name "my first lab microscope". I picked it up at amazon for $90 but found it for $70 on other sites after the fact. It is not the greatest but should be more than sufficient for its purpose. It all comes down too you get what you pay for. And in my opinion for under $100 it is pretty good.

My sanke is still alive after 8 days as of now. He is still not eating on his own so I have been forcefeeding with medicated food everyday for the last 5 days. Since I knew that a bacterial infection was going too happen I ordered some tricide neo. I know that med is not talked about on this board but it has been phenomenal. About a tenth of his body where the scales came off turned a bloody red after a few days. After the dip almost all the bloody looking spots are gone after only 2 days. He still has a long road ahead of him but I think I can pull him through it.

I always wanted a doitsu fish, but just not this way.

Ok, I'm still thinking about this show. I realize that this is a koi show and I do like koi...but my true loves are goldfish. Is there much on the lines of goldfish at this show? :rolleyes:

Hopefully Ranchu can help you out on this one but I am pretty sure there is a fairly large goldfish contingent there.

Check out their home page because it has some pictures of last years show.

www.afkaps.com

I just thought I would bring this thread back from the dead since I got some new info today from the person that is running the show.

There is not going too be a wet lab this year. The reason being is since they did it the last 2 years and now many of the local clubs are doing it they decided too pass on it this year. However some of the other seminars they are planning sound very interesting. Needless too say I am extremely disappointed but I guess on the bright side it will give me more time too do my koi and goldie shopping.

If any of you know of a koi club in the central florida region that will be doing a wet lab please let me know.

Almost forgot too add that they are planning on having some type of a goldfish talk/seminar on saturday.

No wet lab?? I am seriously considering buying a microscope, and they scratch the web lab! Bummer!

As for the Central FLorida clubs, I dont know whats with them, but I emailed all 3 or so of them a few weeks back, and never received an answer.....

I attended the goldfish seminar already last year. It was also on a Saturday and held by Terry Cusick, chairman of the GFSA, and friend of mine. It was very interesting, and he took really his time to explain all the questions, as well as a great presentation of goldfish breeds and keeping....

I sure hope they bring that back this year!

Here is the man....

post-19-1071892563.jpg

That is no reason not too get a microscope. Have you ever seen Doc J's video? It is a must but I would personally feel much better having gone through a wet lab. I have actually done quite a few scrapes recently on my new fish and have never seen anything. I guess that is a good thing. Maybe?

No, never saw the video. I have the book from DandyOranda, where there are pretty good pictures with parasites and stuff, of course its much more interesting to see them actually moving. I had the chance to see some flukes when Terry did a scrape with his microscope, and I found them quite cute, they reminded me of manatees! :lol:

I only talked to Doc Johnson on the phone, when I ordered my first UV from him....

He is very nice to talk to. :)

Even though the video is more than a few years old IMO it is a must for all of us trying too advance in the hobby. I have probably watched it over ten times and still learn something new every time I watch it.

So, among all the adventure, western, comedy movies we are having at home, there would be one crawling all over with parasites. I can see how that excites the rest of my family! But then again, they dont have to watch it! :rofl

I forgot too add the best part about the video. The sound effects when something either goes squirt or smoosh. I guess only Doc J can have a sense of humor when it comes too this.

I would just like too let everyone know that they posted the seminar schedule.

But no entry form for the goldies available as of yesterday.... ;) I hope we are gonna have 60 or so entries next time. This year we made it to 40 something, but I didnt bring any fish, so there is a big hope for this year!! I wonder who the goldfish judge is gonna be this year?! Two years ago it was Ross Taylor, and last time it was somebody I didnt know....(looking in the back of my brain for the name!) :)