Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Best Snail For A Newbee To Snails

I am thinking that I would like to get a snail :D

I'm not sure what kind to get. I've never had a snail before. What type of snail would you suggest for a newbee to snails?

I only buy live plants knowing that they will be eaten (my fish are pigs) so that is not an issue.

I kind of like the ivory, and purple coloured snails, but I am not sure that I could find them around here. And I like those big giant snails, apple snails I think?

Anyway, which type would you all recommend?

Jessica

Guest starsmom

Hey Jessica!

I have apple snails, and should shortly have MANY more. I have 7 clutches of eggs waiting to hatch, which will mean literally thousands of baby snails. I don't know how many will make it, but a good portion ought to.

The parents are dark purple, ivory, and albino/chestnut striped. I should get a good mix of colors, including some purple and some ivory, maybe light purple, who knows! They are brigs (apple snails), so they don't eat plants. They seem to be very happy living with my goldfish. They are very easy to care for, you just have to have the ph in the higher range (7.4 or higher).

I will send you some for just the cost of shipping if you can wait for them to hatch and grow a bit!

Laura

:P I love the black and white boddy snails (Panda snail... i guess)

There so nice... and easy to take care of.. good luck and enjoy the snail!

Starsmom, that is so cool. You are going to have like a bajillion snails :D

My pH is higher than 7.5 but lower than 8 (by pH test skips from 7.5 to 8) so I should be ok ;)

I would rather wait for your snails then buy them from a pet shop. Let me know when they are ready. I am really excited now!!! It's like waiting for a new baby heehee.

Jessica

Guest starsmom

Jessica:

We will BOTH be waiting for the snails then! Someone laid another clutch last night so that makes a total of 8 clutches. The first clutch was laid on October 17, not sure if that one is fertile because it was the very first one. The second one was October 18, so we are getting pretty close to the one month mark, they should start hatching pretty soon!

I will post as soon as they hatch!

blackoranda: What kind of snail is a black & white one? Don't think I've ever seen one of those! Do they eat plants?

Laura