Sign in to follow this  
tmntfan2003

*aquarium Decor*

6 posts in this topic

whats up all :)

i have a cool little fantail with brown rocks on the bottom of a 10 gallon tank and thats it. its pretty bare. the fish has no place to hide, so i think hes stressed, and nothing to really play with. im so stuck because i have no sence of decor :( can any of you guys or gals please share what your tank looks like so i can have some idea's?

all pics are greatly appreciated. thanks all ;)

wow, those tanks are so awesome. thanks koko :)

do any of you have themed tanks? asian, feng shui, roman, disney, cartoon, pirates, etc you get the idea. please share.

thanks all :)

Edited by tmntfan2003

:lol tmntfan2003 my tank is 180 gallon tank with an almost bare bottom. i have two terra cotta pots. one long one lays on its side, so the fish can go inside if they want. the other pot is a large open face pot with java fern inside. the dojo and goldfish go inside this pot as well. i have a few stones on the side i feed to slow the migration of food to filter. i used to turn filter off to feed but i forgot turn it back on so i put the stones in. i like the bare bottom. it is much easier to keep clean. and my water volume is larger. the fish don't seem to care. years ago i had gravel and the tank was never as clean as it is now. i have no photos to show you, sorry. :goldfish

I don't have any photos either, but here's a written description of my tanks:

20 gallon (2 black moors): has a layer of natural colored plant gravel as substrate, and two pieces of driftwood that are arranged to curve in a half circle across the entire length of the tank. The wood has two different varieties of java fern growing on it, and I plant to plant 3 cryptocorynes in the middle of the semi-circle.

50 gallon (4 orandas): this is my heavily planted tank. It has the same natural colored substrate as the 20 gallon. It has on the left side a large plant that takes up 1/3 of the tank, and on the right 2/3's there are many different smaller plants planted pretty densely.

I'm always confused when people say their tanks are cleaner without gravel.

The only time I have gone bare bottom is in small hospital tanks (no filter) the muck just settles on the bottom and gets stirred up with any disturbance.

Does running a filter make the difference? Does all the muck get sucked up before it settles on the bottom? How often do you vacuum the bottom?