Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiesha

Pea's ?

I would like for tom to start eating a little healthier. I am sure that he is sick and tired of flakes and I dont want him to get constipated. So my question is what kind of pea's can I buy him ? Like the canned peas or frozen pea's and what specific type of brand ? And also what other types of veggies will he like ? And one more thing when you guys say "I hand feed," the fish will ACTUALLY eat out of your hand ?

This is how I feed my fish peas. I went to the grocery store and went to the frozen section and bought a bag of non salted peas. Don't get canned peas. When I get ready to feed I put about two to three peas per fish in a small bowl with some hot water. After a minute or so when the peas are thawed, I take them out one by one and pop them out of their skins(the skin is too hard for the fish to digest). If your fish are small you will need to chop the pieces up so they can eat them. My fish are all big(over 4 inches each) and can easily put 3 or 4 halves in their mouth at once. I pop out the peas on a paper plate. When I get ready to feed them, I hold a few halves between my index finger and thumb and place it just under the surface of the water. My fish are used to this and will come up and snatch it out of my fingers. You can start practicing this with your fish. The peas give off a strong odor and the fish will be able to smell it almost immediately. I have never heard of a goldie yet that can't resist peas. After each one of my fish gets a bite I throw in whatever is left over for them to scavange off the bottom. Whatever they might not find my snail will. I bet only after a few times of doing this, your fish will be eating out of your hand. Good luck!

oops! I was also going to list some other veggies to feed your fish. Brocoli and cauliflower are good. You have to boil these, though, to soften them up so they can consume them. Lettuce chopped into little bits is something else my fish love. You can feed fruit once or twice a month too. My goldies go ape over bananas, strawberries, watermelon, oranges, and canteloupe. Don't feed the goldies fruit more frequently than that because it's tougher for them to digest sugar. I would feed veggies two or three times a week and fruit once every other week. There are lots of treats you can buy for your fish. Blood worms and tubifex worms are tasty treats they like. They can also have a bite of fresh tuna or boiled fresh shrimp chopped up. I feed my fish all these things along with their regular pellets. I feed pellets in the morning and then some sort of veggie, treat, or fruit in the late afternoon.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. That info is so helpful. I am going fish shopping this weekend (yay) So I will pick up some snacks for tom and who knows maybe even a new tank. I stuck my finger in his tank today and he came up and tried to eat it so maybe he will come to me once i try to feed him. I saw @ vvvv one day they had lemons in almost every goldies tanks. I didnt think that they would like lemons because they are so sour.

frozen... green gaint peas :P

my fishy loved his pea treat. I will maybe give them to him 2-3 times a week. Thanks for the advice guys :)

lol one of the pea's slipped away from tom so I gave him another, he noticed my black mystery snail trying to eat it and he swam over so fast he shot water on me. He tried to go take the pea !!!! :rofl

Hi,

Another easy one is frozen, chopped spinach. Just cut a bit off of the frozen block, thaw out and tear up into small pieces and put in the tank.

My fish love it :P

I will have to try that. tom enjoy his peas a whole lot :)