Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ranchugirl

Wonna Try Out A Completely Different Filter!

I have used Aquaclears since I keep goldfish, and am very happy with them. My problem is that on the 75gl double stand, there is a 75 gl tank on the bottom, and its hard to access the Aquaclear, since there is only a roughly 4 inch spot left for tank maintainance. I have one AC on it, but would like to add another filter, since I am expecting 4 new fish the next 2 weeks, and they are big.

I was thinking one of those filters that can be in the stands, or in my case, next to the tank on the floor.

I know Koko and a few others have had great success with them, just wondering which one to get.

I am leaning toward the Rena XP3, or the Fluval 404. Both seem equally easy to clean, have lots of media space in them. The XP3 sounds great with the spray bar option though for extra airation.

I would like to order the filter today or tomorrow, so any input would be great! :thumbup

Edited by Ranchugirl

Right now I use a fluval 104 for my 30 gal. (works pretty good) If you are getting the 404 it should work great also. (I think they also have a spray bar for the fluval, but has to be purchased separately)

For the Rena my friend has one, he said it works pretty well also. (But since I don’t own one… its kind of hard to tell) But I'll take his word for it. :blink:

:lol1 So I guess anyone would be good!

Fluval 404 Tank Size 100 GPH 340

Rena XP3 Tank Size 175 GPH 350

hmm..... Kinda of the same for GPH :exactly

I like the rena xp3 better. It might be just because the fluval 404 I got was used, but it seems a hassle to restart it after cleaning. Also the parts that stick into the tank seem not to firmly stick together in place as well as the rena one. Plus the rena is cheaper around here, so its a bonus :) . I have 2 rena xp3s, and 1 fluval 404 and the one size smaller 304

Thanks, everybody!

I have the same feeling about the Rena being a tad better, but before I order it I go and have a look at both of them in the store. Easy maintance and adding additional filter media is important to me, so that's what I try out while I am there... :)

:D ranchugirl

I've had a xp3 since feb 04it is very quite easy to maintain. really do like mine i also have a ac300 on the same tank.

The Eheims are good also. They don't have as many gph but their said to be the best.

One thing to look at with the canisters is the hoses. The Fluval have one the worst hose designs out there since they have a hose that is like the vacuum hoses on your home vacuum the debris gets stuck in there. I have had allot of problems with my Fluval and personally I will always go with the Eheim. Well worth the month and time :D

Darn, Koko, maybe I should have checked that one earlier! :lol: Just PMed you, since I remembered you have a canister too.

I saw the Eheim as well, they have different ones. Which one you got?

I have the Eheim 2026 Pro Thats good for any tank up to 50 gals then you would need the 2028 pro for anything larger :D +

Guest ThomE

If cost isn't a problem, could I recommend the Eheim 2128. They have an extra basket for 'bio stuff', a heater so it's wouldn't be in your tank, very very quiet, and the also have a green tube, which is supposed to avoid algae growing in the tube.

Other wise, for a couple of buck more here's a great one...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=9&N=2004+22777

It?s back order till 10/13, but it's a great price for a great filter.

Good luck :D