Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest podded_pea

Oxygenating Tablets?

Guest podded_pea

I have noticed in the LFS oxygenating tablets, are they any use at all? Should you use them and if so, when? I thought they might be useful for fish moves, in the plastic bag etc? What are your thoughts?

they are very expensive...

best in short term.....like transporting

long term...better to get an airpump

I find oxygenating tablets or stones pretty much useless, they add small bubbles of oxygen into the water but not nearly enough to keep fish healthy for long periods of time.

I agree with pandemonium, way better to get an airpump.

Guest iPodGirl

Those oxygen tablets are mainly for small goldfish bowls, so they're not for everyone. They might be useful for transporting fish, but I think for a dollar or two more, a battery powered airpump would be much better for shipping fish. I don't like the fact that such a small stone is supposed to last a month.

you know what would make a great idea......

use oxygenating tablets for FISH BOWLS...........

ofcourse don't put goldfish in a bowl...but for other fish like white clouds, danios, bettas

instead of having the ugly airpump and tubing.....just have this peaceful bowl with oxygen tablets.

Guest iPodGirl

Tropical fish like white clouds and danios probably wouldn't do well in a goldfish bowl... and some bettas don't like aeration. Since they take air from the top of the water (instead of through the water, like goldfish) and have flowing fins... too much water movement can stress them out. Well, at least my betta hates air pumps.

there a waste of money for the most part, i would only use them for moving a fish but it only last a few hours.

Guest podded_pea

Actually I considered purchasing them for my Nan, she had 2 new tiny GF last week, and I sent Dad over with a mini-air pump, apparently they are scared witless by it, and Nan aint too keen on the amount of noise ( I dont even notice the noise from mine anymore...) I did purchase them in case they were needed when I moved the 2 old GF last week, but ended up not using them, as to be honest, I was a little worried that "Fish" would eat them! I'd like her to just stick to the air pump, but I have a feeling that she turned it off the moment Dad left, and I cant imagine it being left on all night...

There are only 2 tiny fish in a tiny aquarium at present... an oxygenating tablet may be able to cope... and our intention is to get her a decent tank @ Xmas, with built in filter etc, in an attempt to get the fish well cared for...

Thanks for all your thoughts on it! Noone seems to think they are bad and wrong, and that was good to hear :) even if they are just pretty useless ;)