Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PlasticPlantsandKoi

The Search For The Tank!

Ok, my fish have Waaaaaaaaay outgrown their tank. Two 2 inch common goldies, one 4 inch fantail, two 5 inch koi and a 2 inch comet, all in that little ten gallon tank.

My fish seem to be fine for now but I do wish to buy a larger tank for the koi. However, I know what tanks run for and I do not want to spend over $150. I've been looking in penny saver, My shopping and the paper...

So I guess I'm starting a search for a tank! :pigs

I will keep everybody posted, and if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

:thanks:iwill

you should upgrade soon ( i wonder how many water changes you must be doing for that little 10gal :ill )

I would cheak different forums online (kokos goldfish STILL THE BEST :exactly )

You should find a deal near your place. :blink:

Edited by fallenlordz

Guest CoopersDad's

what about garage or tag sales, I have seen some great deals at them where i live. Good luck hope you find something soon.

UPDATE:

Did water change yesterday, found out Siphon isn't working... :thud Had to do it by hand (ugh... takes forever)...

I took out a few of their toys to make more room, they seem to be fine with it, now there is a terra cotta pot (broken, of course, with smooth edges), a rock with a fake plant and a large plastic plant. The fish seeem a bit happier with the changes. :)

I'll keep you updated. :9

Guest ed586

Plastic P&K,

This makes me feel terrible. If you get a new tank, your Koi will outgrow that one too. They are pond fish and need 100 gallons at least when fully grown.

Is there a pond you can put them in? A neighbor or lfs that wants them? I just hate for you to go to the expense when you may wind up with sick fish in a short time.

Hope you can work it out. :unsure:

Edited by ed586

Guest Sam254

You should get a 254 gallon pond for your koi cause they are outdoor fish and can grow over 20 inches long heck I saw a 23inch koi on ebay, comets and commons, I don't know about fantails, are also pond fish! :o

This is the sad truth but koi's are meant to go in ponds, that's why their considered and ARE pond fish. Fully grown they can reach 3 feet long. As for your commons/comets they need atleast 20 gallons each, so your going to need one heck of a big tank.

Do you Have a Wallmart ? they have large tanks real cheap with all the filters and such included . I agree tho you should think about seeing if your Koi can get to a pond they do get very big. The more room you have when they are small they will just grow and grow. One morning you will wake up and wonder how your fish did that over night. I know i did my Goldi wasnt very big when I got him now he's doubled his size. ive had him for a couple of months .Silly fish

Yea... the koi needs to be in a pond.

As a temporary solution, you could get a big rubbermaid tub. That would get your more water volume for now and buy you time to search for a bargain tank.

you either need to sell/give away or make a pond for those koi or put them in a 1000+ gallon tank. yes you heard me right, those guys grow around 3 feet and they wont even have room to turn in less than 1000 gallons! get a 55g tank or bigger, itll do for your 4 goldies

I really want to get a pond - I'm trying to locate a 300 gallon+ pond...

The comets and commons seem fine for now... but the koi are the ones I'm concerned about right now. I measured them again and the one is 6 inches long now!!!! :yikes

My mom will not allow me to get a pond - too much work.

I would like to keep my koi to breed, as one is a rare variety.

:iwill to post some updates.

Guest ed586

Plastic, I have sold back some of my fish to my fish store. Chains like vvvv won't always do it, but if you find a friendly local one you could at least give them some koi for free. It may be the only way to keep your fish from getting sick. Then you can buy a larger tank and good filtration. Hope that helps. ;)

Ok... I think I finally figured out a solution for now.

I am going to (hopefully) buy something that will act as another tank, and probably get an airstone for it (thinking of a large bucket or deep plastic tub) because they are cheap, doing water changes often... (etc) :help1

I would probably put my koi in there, keep my goldies in the tank...

But one thing puzzles me. What to do with the fantail? :idont

She's as big as the koi, but she likes the goldies.

The bad part is - she's not going to stop growing anytime soon.

She's basically a calico fantail... without the black spots. (Very pretty)

Any suggestions for now? I'm trying everything I can! :yawn

I may be able to get a plastic tub soon, but what about suitable gravel and... :yawn

Please help!

10 gallons is still too small for the koi. You should get something much bigger for them even if you are getting a pond. Good luck!

Well, I'm not getting a tank any bigger than 15 gallons. However, I'm going to put my koi in that, by themselves. The goldies will have the other ten gallon. It may not be the ideal, but it's still an improvement.

Someday, I'm going to get a 100 gallon tank...

Guest SilverFilly

I understand it's an improvement, but it's really unfair to the koi. If I were you, I'd find homes for all the fish except the fantail. Then I'd buy the 55 from nnnnnn and perhaps get a few more fancies to go in your new 55. Fancies don't get as big, and would be happy in the 55 :)

Good luck and take care!

I finally bought a new tank! :)

Another 10 gallon for the koi. They barely have 2 gallons each in the other one, so here they have 5 gallons each. It's only for the winter, but in the spring, I'll be busy getting a pond.

Thanks!