Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PlasticPlantsandKoi

10 Gallon Tank - Breeding?

I have a 10 gallon tank. It is unheated, and in the winter through spring the temperature is about 68-72 degrees. In the summer it can get up to 78. In the fall it's about 74 degrees. I have two koi, and a few goldfish. By this fall they should all be mature. One person does breeding in her bathtub, and then puts the eggs in a two gallon tank. I want to know if there is a good temperature for common goldfish (no comets or fancys) to breed, and if there is anything I can do to the ten gallon tank to stimulate them. I may be getting a second tank soon, and I wondered about this. My common goldfish are about 2 1/2 inches long each and the male is starting to get tubicles.

Anything I can do to make them breed?

Guest ChugokuGakki

In a ten gal tank your female will most likely be hurt from the chase, but i dont see why they cant breed there with all the requirements.

Hi there, and :welcome !

I hope I didn't understand that right, but are all those fish in that 10 gl tank?

Yes, actually they are. However, I am now considering getting another tank, and my largest fish is only four inches in the tank. If I am to get another tank it would be another 10-gallon with a heater for breeding purposes and hospitalizing (etc).

Guest PondCometer

You have TOO many finish in that tank..KOI alone need at least 30-40 gallons of water and common/comet goldfish need 20 gallons a fish..you are definetly gonna run into problems sooner or later keeping even 1 koi in a Ten Gallon unless its a fry..you can breed them in a tank but ultimatly your Koi should be in a pond and not in a tank especially not a 10 Gallon

P.S: on buying more tanks go big or you'll end up having a bunch of ten gallons and IMO none of your fish would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank

Edited by PondCometer

I hate to break it to you, but koi and a 10 gl tank do not well together. Those are pond fish, and for them to grow to their fully potential they need at least 100-200 gl per fish. And a fully mature koi can measure 2-3 feet.

The fish's growth will get stunted in such a small tank, not to mention that you will have immense problems keeping ammonia/nitrites and nitrates in check, which will lead to fish stress and illness.

How long have you had the fish?

When starting with this hobby, it can be frustrating to learn all those new things, but believe me, in the long run you will have so much more pleasure with your fish.

Here are a few great links to read up on..... :)

10 steps to a healthy goldfish

The basics on cycling a tank

Do you have filtration and an airstone in the tank? Any test kits that tell you how high your readings are?

Goldfish and koi breeding is a very rewarding thing, and a lot of work is involved with, which is easily outnumbered by the joy of seing those little fry growing. But I wouldn't even attempt the breeding aspect unless you have taken care that the adults have an adequate environment.

Feel free to ask away any questions you might have, we will gladly try to help you out!.... :)

I am starting to save for some sort of pond for my fish...

However, I'm wondering what type of pond is best for koi, such as sizing, depth, shape, and where I can get them.

That depends on what kind of pond you prefer.....in-ground or above-ground?

For above ground ponds I like the rubbermaid feeding tubs, you can get them at any feed store. They come in in different sizes, and I love the biggest one, a 300 gl.

As for inground, Homedepot has preshaped ponds, also in different sizes and gallons. They are black, and all you hav to do is dig a whole with the exact measurements, put the pond in the ground, add filtration and you are done.....

Its really a thing of preference..... :)

If you mean those inflatable ones where the top ring is inflatable, and when you fill the pond up with water, the whole thing rises, with the ring? Something like that.....

Pool/pond

Those come in different sizes as well, the only thing that I wouldn't use is the filter. That thing is way too small for a koi pond, but there are filters out there you can put on the pool/pond instead.... :)

And before somebody laughs at it, those pools are actually offered at Aquatic Ecosystems for fish..... :)

Edited by Ranchugirl

Red Cap Oranda, that is a rather rude comment, especially to a new member, and you being a new member yourself. In the future please think before you write things.

And those inflatable pools work very well for fish. At koi shows a lot of times they will use similar things to display their koi.

I would however worry about an inflatable pool with the wild animals?claws could go right through that! Why not get a nice preform pond and put something like chicken wire over it so no one can get in? That should work very well.