Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
daryl

Pro-gold Amounts Different?

When I had mentioned how much food several of my fish consume the immediate response was that I was dramatically over feeding them. I have tried to cut down, but they have since shaved my plants to the roots and eaten them, now, too.

I do feed each of my big Orandas a full teaspoon of Progold each morning. But they can each eat that much in less that 2 minutes. I have timed them with a stopwatch. They are in a bare bottomed tank, so I know the food is going into them and not under a rock. They also get at least 2-3 peas at a time, when I feed peas, or 2 leaves of spinach each. They eat that very quickly too, and completely.

Truthfully - am I now starving them by trying to get them to eat less? They are large fish (8-9 inches each with barrel bodies). I thought the rule of thumb was as much as eaten completely in 3 minutes. So....... What gives?

I surely hate to overfeed. I have a problem with one oranda over-taxing a good cycle on a 20 gallon tank by himself. I have an Emperor 400 on his tank and he still can make a slight bump in the ammonia after peas. But he REALLY can eat that much and easily seems to digest it with no problems. He, of course, begs for more! My other monster is in a 56 with others, but manages to garner the lion's share of the food, even when I partition her off from the rest at feeding time!

Am I feeding too much? Too little? Just right? :idont

Wow what big eaters. I would think how much goldfish eat is different with each. I only feed about a teaspoon for all 6 (my neice has talked me out of one for her birthday so only 6 now) in my 75 and a couple pinches for the 2 in the 30. So I am not sure. I would think if your fish are not swimming funny and your tank water is testing good that you are not over feeding them. If I feed more then what I am feeding now my water gets cloudy before the next change.

Hi,

I think some fish have bigger appetites than others :D My new ryukin, Harlequin, is about 3" in body length, but a very deep bodied fish. I started by feeding him about four progold pellets at a feeding. Then he chewed the fins off of the other fish, Pegasus, keeping him company in his tank. So, I separated the two of them and upped the amount that I am feeding Harley. I am now giving him about 6-8 pellets at a feeding and he gobbles them all down, and is very lively.

So, I would think that if Harley can eat 8 progold pellets, then your big guys could eat what you are feeding them.

Valerie