Sign in to follow this  
koko

Sex Of Goldfish?

101 posts in this topic

i found it hard to sex your fish from the video... they may still be too young or never shown breeding behaviour as yet. some male fish do not show breeding stars until they are first ready to breed. others have distinctive spots from a year on that become more noticable when they're in breeding mode. here is a ryukin of mine, i have outilned where you can see the breeding stars on him. this is typically where you will see them on any male.. other males have them on their faces also,. but mine, just on the gill plates and fins. they look like salt sprinkles or dandruff, but they don't shake off.

ce9e65df.jpg

Interesting topic. I have no idea yet of the sex of my fish - I've had Suzy for a year and a day now and she was just a little bit when I got her.

My questions:

Do breeding stars have any function for the fish? Are they glands? Are they a display? Do other fish have them?

There must be a reason the fish developed them and passed that trait down. Does anybody know - or can make a good guess - why?

Interesting topic. I have no idea yet of the sex of my fish - I've had Suzy for a year and a day now and she was just a little bit when I got her.

My questions:

Do breeding stars have any function for the fish?

Yes they do, to help the female fish reliese her eggs.

Are they glands?

In a way, they are pits under the skin and they get hard to the touch.

Are they a display?

No

Do other fish have them?

Koi and Carp

There must be a reason the fish developed them and passed that trait down. Does anybody know - or can make a good guess - why?

i found it hard to sex your fish from the video... they may still be too young or never shown breeding behaviour as yet. some male fish do not show breeding stars until they are first ready to breed. others have distinctive spots from a year on that become more noticable when they're in breeding mode. here is a ryukin of mine, i have outilned where you can see the breeding stars on him. this is typically where you will see them on any male.. other males have them on their faces also,. but mine, just on the gill plates and fins. they look like salt sprinkles or dandruff, but they don't shake off.

ce9e65df.jpg

Guess i have to wait to tell them apart.. nice fish you got there :D

Ok I watched in full screen.... From what I can see, your Oranda is a Girl, your Ranchu is alittle hard to tell, but if the front rays on the pectoral fins is thick then its a boy. It looks like one but the dude moves to fast :lol

Thanks to this site I figured out my Wizard is definitely a male...

here is a picture (slightly blurry but it is the clearest I could manage because he thought I was coming to feed them) - you can see his breeding tubercles on his cheek

012-4.jpg

WHOOT its a Boy :thumb:

Ok guys,this is a girl,right?20111029_6628.jpg?t=1319938941

Actually do me a fave and get a shot of the front fins. Much easier... from that shot it seems like and inny and that would be a boy :o

Ok I have read through the thread about the differences. So far I'm convinced I have at least three boys. But my fourth fish is proving to be a bit more difficult to me. Here is a link to his/her photo. http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/thatrandoguy/photo9.jpg

This is also my fish that I believe has the swim bladder issue. Poor thing has a difficult time swimming without making loops. I think the long fins also make it a little more difficult for him/her to operate. Most of the time he is hiding or bottom sitting until feeding time. The other fishies out compete this one for food all of the time. Sry for the tangent but I would just like to figure out if the hiding is due to it being female and harassment from the other males, or if it is just due to the SB being a tad off.

Thats a boy :thumb:

White pearls on the pectoral fins is the give away :thumb:

Well I guess I wont be needing that spawning mop I made seeing as I only have males :hummm . I'm sure I'll run across a pretty little lady soon lol. Thanks koko!

Anytime :thumb:

Very interesting. Thanks for the photos also.

Very cool. My orandas are probably still too young to determine,and the areas I'd be looking at are white anyway.One of them doesn't even have a proper wen yet! (Just this morning I realized they sold her/him as a fantail.Guess it's a good thing the snail died and I want to return/exchange it(had it for less than a week =/),I wouldn't have noticed that otherwise.)x3

The pearlies are a bit bigger,2.75" and 3",so I may be able to tell with them. I THINK I saw breeding stars on one of them,but I'm not sure.I'll have to go through my pics to see if I can see them there.

Is there another way to determine the sex other than the vents and stars?

Not really those are the two ways to tell :thumb:

Dang. I had heard something about using the fins somewhere,figured that's be easier. Ah well.

I'll have to look through my photos to see if I have any good ones I can use to try to determine until I get home to the actual fish.

Being stuck at college for 12-ish hours(Mon/Wed only,thank god. Tues/Thurs it's only about 8ish.xP) sucks. Dx

Well if your talking about the breeding bumps on the fins. that would be the pectoral fins.

If you got a good eye! you can when they are young, see if the front ray is thick, mostly likely its a boy. But like I said a good eye to see it. Now on a fish that is about 4-5" long you can see it plan as day. :)

Post some photos I may be able to help :thumb:

Thanks! I'll dig through them to find the best and plop 'em up here. :thumb:

Synth, your fish are still pretty small. You probably won't see much yet.

Yeah,that's what I figured. But hey,why not try?

I thought I had better pics,but any that could have been useful were blurry/unfocused. =/ I'll have to get more(still learning the art of fish photography xP). These were the best of what I have,hopefully some of them will be of use:

http://i42.tinypic.com/5aq0pg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/33tmn9l.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2evq7uo.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ce3qdd.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ezi5p2.jpg

In those pics. only one fish I could tell ya. :)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2evq7uo.jpg

this photo you can see the pectoral fins are thicker, also I can see 2 breeding stars on the cheek. :)

The other fish its really hard to tell cause they are so small. :(

Whoot! I was right about the stars! =D Sometimes I could see them,other times I couldn't,and I thought I was going insane.

Thanks a bunch,Koko!

Hopefully one of the Orandas will turn out to be a male,and the other two goldies to be female.But honestly,as long as they aren't all male,I don't really care.

:lol

I got a tank full of Females. I did that on purpose case I didnt want any mating :thumb:

With all I've read about breeding,I kinda want to try it,at least once. Once I get my bigger tank(55G),I'll have room for another goldie or two.Why buy when you can breed? x3