Sign in to follow this  
koko

Sex Of Goldfish?

101 posts in this topic

I had a fantail Manny that I had to rename to Manuela... lol.

Now I have two Ryu's under the age of one and a fantail under the age of two with boy names, I guess I'll have to wait and see... poor fish! I'm confoosing them!

With my old fantail Pedro I could tell b/c of the breeding bumps. It was in the spring.

Edited by KelzosWifey

Guest oogybrandi

Hello all I am new to the goldfish thing, by comin to this site, i sure have learned alot. I have goldfish...2 which are blk moors which are my favorites. One blk moor(my fav) is blind. I have to hand feed him so I know he is eating, But I love havin the little guy. :heart I dont know if its a boy or girl tho.

I still can't tell if my two shubunkins are a boy or a girl because they are too small.

Is there another way to tell if it is a boy or a girl?

Hello all I am new to the goldfish thing, by comin to this site, i sure have learned alot. I have goldfish...2 which are blk moors which are my favorites. One blk moor(my fav) is blind. I have to hand feed him so I know he is eating, But I love havin the little guy. :heart I dont know if its a boy or girl tho.

Well if you refer back to Koko's first post that might help and depending on breeding season ladie fishes get

bigger then the male fish does. If that helps.

Edited by Wasabi

So after reading this, I found out that my Moustachio and Jacques are girls and Belle is a boy, so maybe it's time to find out new names!

Very good pictures. Only all my goldfish have a single anal fin. So I'm still confused. At what size do they become sexually mature? I don't want fry because I think all my fish are related and inbreeding isn't a good idee.

Guest danirox

um, hi i have got 2 fantail gold fish one is a calico and the other is just a red and white one.

im sort of just starting with fish and ive had some before but theyve all died like just sank to the bottom and didnt get up, one actually got mawled by the others!!!

but im pretty sure my calico is like pregnant or something as it's (i dont know the sex) got a huge protruding stomach but the other one is fine with it, its a perfectly normal fish

how do i know if its pregnant or if the other one is a boy or just anything plz im really stuck and i dont no wot 2 do can u plz help me any1?

post back soon plz

love Danirox :newfish:(:krazy:

Guest aries1591

i still cant figure out the genders of my goldfish..i got em on my bday! :newfish ..i dont even know if they r common ones or fancy :blink: ..i would be glad if someone could help me with this

also, a few weeks ago,my younger fish had black outlines on their fins but now they've vanished n its golden now..and the older fish had turned black n is back to golden ..is it normal fr them to change colors?

DSC07095.jpg

DSC07091.jpg

Guest aries1591

and yeah..please suggest some good neutral names for them :)

Hey aries, :welcome

Goldfish really aren't meant to be kept in tiny bowls. They need 10 gallons or more EACH. For two fantails, like you have, you need at least 20 gallons with proper filtration. The black color-changing you described could be ammonia burns. I suggest you read about the nitrogen cycle.

The sex of your goldfish really isn't an important issue at the moment-- you should give your goldies what they need to be healthy first. There's an overwhelming amount of info on the board, so start with this article to understand the basics.

Good luck!

Awesome now if i could only reach in and hold my goldfish upside down for a minute

i googled "sexing goldfish" and found this

Goldfish Sexing

Ok, and fish have to be at least a year old before the vent tells you anything? Because I could swear that my two babies have an outie.

i have a few questions

are breeding stars there only when the fish is ready to mate or are they always present?

do female fish ever "bump" other fish like males do in breeding behavior?

The breeding stars are always present.

No females do not.

hum becuase i always see my orandas breeding stars untill the other night i took a close look at both the pearl scale (too detirmine sex) and noticed i couldnt see any more stars on his face or the pectorial fins?? first time i seen it i thought it was ick but it never spread any where else.

but now that i think about it perhapes its from the dimmer lighting i am useing now that i cannot see them? hum...

Sometimes they become more accentuated when the fish are breeding or ready to breed. But they'll always be there, maybe just a little fainter. Maybe try turning on a brighter light?

Edited by Haruka

I literally just spent 30 minutes watching my fish's butts and took all 3 out once to see if I could figure this out, and for crap's sake, I cannot. None of them have breeding stars at all, but 2 of them have white cheeks so I don't know if I'd see them anyhow. Ugh, I was really hoping this would be easier! LOL

LOL! You sound like me Jesi. I have a crick in my neck from trying to see my fishes vents! :rofl For the past few days, I've noticed one of my oranda's chasing the other one all over the tank, nose up the butt. Wondered about breeding time since its spring. So I came here to try to figure it out and I'm more confused than ever. But with my fish, its going to be hard to tell. Cisco, the one being chased, is one of those round baby-face orandas and "she" is probably around 2 years old, a little over 3". Hattie, is a younger red-cap oranda, but one of the more streamlined types, "he" is probably not even a year old yet, around 2". Then I have Butch, who is a ryukin, the same age and size as Hattie, but fatter being a ryukin. "His" is the only vent that I can see and I'm pretty sure he's a male. I also have Teddy, a tiny, maybe 1", panda butterfly.

So, I can't sex the orandas by shape, since Cisco is naturally rounder than Hattie. And Hattie, being mostly white and streamlined, is probably too young for breeding stars, which I probably couldn't see anyway because of his color.

Is it possible, since Cisco is older and maybe ready to mate, that she might be releasing pheromones or hormones or whatever? And Hattie, even though he is probably too young to mate, is reacting to her? Butch is chasing her around also, but not like Hattie is. Interesting to watch, no matter what is going on.

I have to rename my ryykin since it lost it's dark tip on it's fins (I think it was ammonia burns) but now I know what I should name it when I figure it out but now that I think about it I might have to rename every one of them. Thanks koko

I still can't figure out what mine are...lol my husband's two goldies just had a batch of fry which we are raising...lol We have to change their names!

Thanks so much for this topic! I never knew how to sex goldfish or even that you could. I have stared and stared trying to figure it out and I think although not completely sure that both of mine are females. I don't see the white dots on either one. Although one of mine is white so I probably couldn't see them on that one anyway. My calico is difficult because I didn't notice till after I got home from the pet store that one of her anal fins is messed up. I'm having to try and judge where the vent is located by that one good fin. The other fin is so tiny it is throwing my eyes off.

I can't tell whether my Goldfish is Male or Female.

Please help me take a look

:lol1