Sign in to follow this  
koko

Sex Of Goldfish?

101 posts in this topic

:)

post-30-1107829220_thumb.jpg

Good example Koko, thanks!! I still can't tell with so many of my fish! I'm pretty sure that I've named them all wrong though... <_<

Guest pondgirl

Hi koko great! I was wondering how to sex them. How do you determine sex in koi? Do you know? I have both. Also I LOVE your woman and koi pix! Can you tell me where you got it from? Thanks, pondgirl. My email is : alison19782004@yahoo.com

Guest bagoegg

Out of all the fish that I have had, I thought that I knew for sure that my gold lionhead was a male. It always acted to "tough". Then one day eggs started falling out of her. I am going to use that picture from now on to figure it out!! Thank you koko!!

oh, so thats how you see the difference between male and female :D

thanks koko for that! ;)

Neato koko. I thought that you could only determine the sex when they were getting ready to mate. But it's good to know that you can whenever. I'm guessing as long as it's over the age of three ??

Robyn

yeah I can't ee it either and I was hoping to pop in here and see if I can tell what I've got on my hands.... will have to look around a bit more to see if it is somewhere else....

fixed

Another way to tell males apart is by looking at the front edge

of their pectoral fins and their gill plate covers. A mature male

will have little white bumps or dots (not to be confused with ick),

and the fin will be thicker on a male, while the female's will be

thin. Another thought is the male pectoral fins will be pointy,

while the female's pectoral fins will have a rounded shape.

Normally, fish become of age around 2 years old. Some

show signs earlier than others though.

post-30-1107829130_thumb.jpg

post-30-1107829144_thumb.jpg

I'm having trouble telling if my fishie is male or female. He has the right body...I think....for a male, but the.....hole.....ya.

Ill get a pic in a minute.

Guest Tanyalovesfishies

Thank goodness i found this topic! i just a min ago bought a new goldfish and didn't know what to name it, now i know what kinda name, yay!!!!

Guest Oranda Man

Wow...GREAT PICS!!!!!

Guest Beth

Great pictures, but I still can not tell. I can not visualize any hole on the underside of my fantailed. Perhaps it is a female and located lower between the fins and that is why I can not see it. There is an awful lot of tail in the way. I do not see any white spots on the gills.

Edited by Beth

Guest _comet_

Wow.. great pictures thanks i might be able to tell now which of my fish are male or female :lol:

Great I just realized my fish named Barney should be Betty oops! hope she dosn't get a complex! :rofl

Could breeding tubercles be present/visible on the first spine of the dorsal fin?

I am havinf trouble with all the other indicators of genser - GN lives alone in his tank - so by no thaving females around, maybe he doesn't really go through the "spawning" thing? Like, it would be a reaction to female hormones in the water - but there are none, so how can I tell if my fish is a boy or a girl?

I want to figure it out for certaina s I am thinking of getting another fish and I don't want any fry! Thanks!

Thankz guyz!!! BUBBLES IS A BOY!!!! WOOT WOOT I always knew he was a lil on the maucho side hehehe!!! Ok now I gotta find me a girlfreind!!! hehe altho is it all the same in all goldies?? It is different for diff kinds I am only interested in bubble eyed fish......................???

Guest alisonanne1234

That is a big help...

I think I've named Rosemary wrongly, though. <_< Darn.

Guest mi2tom

thank you very much ... Now I go and try to breed one

Guest saffyre75

Mine were easy to name, Valentine and Cupid, so they can keep thier names whether female or male, lol

Valentine has a heart shaped black spot on its head, so Cupid was easy to name after that, and add in my albino Placo named Red it all fits, hehe :heart

Guest Comets_rock1221

umm... i was just wondering, because i just got 2 comet goldfish about a week ago and I cant tell what sex they are, one is light orange and has black splotches on it's tail and back fin and its tail is very short (thats shadow) and my other one is darker orange and has a very long tail fin shaped like this <(thats goldie) anyway i will put a pic of shadow and goldie l8ter cause i dont kno how cause its in my documents and it dosent have a URL and the board will not let me if it isnt a URL so if one of u guys could show me that would be apriciated :krazy::newfish

Guest t-ray

I GUESS ILL GO AND TRY AND SEE WHAT MY FISH ARE :rofl THEY JUST MAY HAVE THE WRONG NAMES NOW :o EVEN THOUGH I THINK THAT ILL STICK WITH THE NAMES THEY GOT :D THX THAT PIC WAS NEEDED