Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest YOURFRIEND

Do Females Get Big In The Belly When Pregnant?

Guest YOURFRIEND

I have 3 gold fish. 2 comets and 1 common. I think two are female and 1 male. I bought the two as pets, and I thought I would just save them, they were being sold as feeder fish. Then I was givin the common fish. Then about 6 months later now, I see the common goldfish getting huge in the belly area. She looks pregnant. I'm worried though. Is she pregnant or is she bloating up? She don't act sick though. If you feel she is pregnant, How long will it be before she lays her eggs? Will Algie and sucker fish eat these eggs also? What do these eggs look like. Are they noticeable? I have a picture of how big this female gold fish is if you would like I can email you it. I know I have alot of questions. Thanks for any answers you can give me. Your friend, Lisa Catlady10774@aol.com

hi lisa! id say she is probably getting big with eggs. an increase in temperature will trigger the males to chase the females and and then she will release her eggs. the eggs are clear, yellow dots. you will definately notice them. how big are they? i imagine the sucker fish would eat the eggs too. another thing that may help you is the way to sex fish. if you look at the anus, the males have innys and the females have outies :)

:welcome

I have 3 gold fish. 2 comets and 1 common. I think two are female and 1 male. I bought the two as pets, and I thought I would just save them, they were being sold as feeder fish. Then I was givin the common fish. Then about 6 months later now, I see the common goldfish getting huge in the belly area. She looks pregnant. I'm worried though. Is she pregnant or is she bloating up? She don't act sick though. If you feel she is pregnant, How long will it be before she lays her eggs? Will Algie and sucker fish eat these eggs also? What do these eggs look like. Are they noticeable? I have a picture of how big this female gold fish is if you would like I can email you it. I know I have alot of questions. Thanks for any answers you can give me. Your friend, Lisa Catlady10774@aol.com

Yes, like blinky said goldfish dont get pregnant they fatten up with eggs and then if you have a male he will induce her to lay the eggs and immediatly he will fertilize them with his sperm. But if you do get eggs you must remove the eggs or the parents in to another tank while the eggs hatch :)

All too true, all too true. You may want to actually put the desired male and female in a seperate tank [[hospital, perhaps, since it's short term, but put plants in it, since they will catch the eggs.]] and start cycling one [[ a large one, because they grow ]] for some fry. Turn up the temperature a bit and then watch them to see if the male chases the female. If he does, then watch them a bit closely for eggs, as they'll try to eat them right away. Instantly remove the male and female after you're sure they've been fertilized; then move the eggs to the cycled tank [[no more than 6 inches of water, the weight will crush them]] so they'll hatch there. Try and keep it bare, with maybe one or two plants, just for their own interest. Feed them often [[3 - 4 times a day]] and I'm sure you can find many places on this forum that will tell you what to feed them :heart

Or it could be SBD (swim bladder disorder) - one of my moors is very fat - I thought she/he might be full of eggs but the other fish show no interest. The over the weekend she/he seemed to be hanging out at the top and swimming sideways and head down. So I am thinking it is SBD :(

maybe but i dont think they woud get noticably fat if it was sbd, would they?

Mine is really fat - maybe constipated. I have 2 moors and one is normal and the other is really fat.

coincidence, maybe? ive never heard that they get fatter.

Guest YOURFRIEND

Well I did turn up the heat on my tank and the male or males are showing no interest so far. She is still fat but don't act sick nor is she floating or swimming wierd. I am going to try to post a picture of her somewhere here and you will be able to see. I will make another post if I am success ful in putting a picture of her up somewhere in this forum. I have noticed her being fat for over a week now, how long do they carry the eggs before laying them?

Guest YOURFRIEND

Well, I can't find any place to post a picture. If you know of a place I can post a picture of my gold fish where u can go and see let please let me know. Or I can email u a picture.

Try putting a picture up on a good image hosting site [[www.photobucket.com]], and posting the link to the picture for us.

Guest YOURFRIEND

Well still no eggs. She is still fat, and males are still showing no signs of interest. But now around where she is fat; her scales are protuding outward a little bit and she has a redness at the surface of her "skin" . But at the same time she is just as spunky as always, She acts as if nothing is wrong, but I can see something is not right. She is around i'm guessing 5 years old.

try upping the food to 3 times per day what they can eat in 15 mins and do water changes with colder water every 2-3 days, about 20%. that should trigger it. :)

Guest YOURFRIEND

Well I think my fish is just fat, no matter what I do, Still no eggs or fries. So shes like me' fat... lol Anyways thanks for ur help guys. Bye bye. Lisa

Lisa,

Hope all goes well for you. My fish I mentioned earlier died. His scales started pineconing also. I think he had dropsey. :cry1

Guest YOURFRIEND

Well, Bad news on my end too. My fish died tonight. 9-9-04 10:pm I will miss her. She was fun to watch. She was still fat in the belly. still no eggs. After she died I noticed a small growth on the inside of her gill area that had tiny seed looking spots and alot of them. No Ick, I know what that is and none of these seed looking things was on the outside. I am thinking she may of had some kind of cancer. DOes anyone know of a goldfish cancer thats like what I described above.

Guest dreamweaver-x

:yeah:

I have a softball sized goldfish that felt like she was full of eggs. She has been like this for a couple months and I wanted to know how long before she lets em out or she pops. Oh, she also swims upside down and lays at the bottom that way too. Whats her prob? Attitude? Vein? Sleepy? Sounds like my wife.

sounds like swim bladder. try fasting for 3 days and then feed some peas. that should hopefully work. do you soak her food? if not, this is the problem.

Guest snowmum14

wow we have the same problem with one of our goldfish. She some times appears to be almost dead in the pond. My husband has taken her out and showed her to me I told him she was pregant but now I am not sure she has a REAL BIG BELLY ! I found spomething on egg Bound , but I do not know what that is maybe beween the two of us we can find out what is with our goldfish. My address is THANKS FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DISCOVERED WITH YOUR FISH > hope to talk to you soon , Snowmum

Guest Gayle

Hello, I'm new to this and desparate. Two days ago I was given a fish to "Put out of her misery" as the owner couldn't face it. But I thought there must be a way to help which led me to your site.

This little Miss - a gold & white comet - has been living in a 2 gal bucket. I think she is egg bound and is belly-up on the bottom. She is incredibly swollen in the abdomen. She is calm and attempting to swim when I talk to her.

At first I tried massage until reading your advice that it would actualy do more harm.

I have had her in the epsom salts twice a day. She passed 6 inches long of pink then blue then clear. She would have eaten some pink & blue floating food. yesterday I didn;t feed her. Today I fed her with cooked pea.

She is now in a 20 gal bucket with 3 other comets between 3 - 4inches long.

This is a temporary measure while I fix a pond up. They have a mixture of rain water and tap water (chlorinated but NZ water is still very drinkable from the tap.)

Is there any hope for her.

She sounds just like the ones on this topic. Perhaps it is SBD

Gayle

Guest Gayle

Iam now sure my Miss must have SBD. I've put her in the Epsom Salt bucket with no food. a couple of drops of Melafix and little bit of of antibiotic.

Does anyone know if antibiotics help?

She looks the same, still belly-up on the bottom unless she makes the effort to swm when I go near.

Try fasting her for a couple of days and feed peas and see if she gets better.Maybe you should start a new thread on diagnosis so our experts can help.Good luck and keep us posted :)

Edited by coyote ugly

Guest Gayle

Thanks Coyote Uqly, I'll try and find my way around the site.

She's still hanging in there.

i'd say she is probably getting big with eggs, thats a sign she is ready to mate and have little fry! YAY!