Sign in to follow this  
Myaj

? On Pearlscales

8 posts in this topic

Okay, I stopped in at a local mmm today (I know, blasphamy! but this one generally understocks tanks, has healthy fish and the people know quite a bit, their prices are insanely high though). I just wanted to see some of the different types of fancy goldfish and get ideas of health, so I'd have a comparison once I started shopping around.

They had just got their daily shipment in, and many of the fish were still bagged, acclimating. They had some pearlscales, and I really, really liked the look of them, the coloring and the different looking scales. The fish in general looked healthy, but almost every fish in the bags had either a partial, one or both eyes black. Almost like a pigment thing, if you looked in the right light you could see the pupil, etc.... I would automatically assume that this is a very bad sign, but not a single other goldie there had this, only the pearlscales, so I though I'd ask in case it was a trait of the type or something. None of the eyes were protruding or anything, but the entire eyeball was solid black, or had a streak going through it...

Most likely I wouldn't buy fish from mmm, but from what I've seen so far I liked those pearlscales the best. I haven't been to *the* fish store to check out their current stock recently though :D , hopefully they will have some.

I don't know, I've seen fish with totally black eyes - I don't know if they are healthy even though they have that or is it a diease?

sometimes you can get a good deal on food or hoses and the like.

Actually, quite a few goldfish do have black eyes, and its completely normal. That whole bag of pearlscales came most likely from the same breeder, and he might have a higher rate of black eyed fish in his breeding program.

I have fish with black eyes myself, and they are perfectly fine..... :)

I like to think that black eyed fish are cool cats. They

have their own sunglasses. B) I've got some with one

black eye and some with both eyes black. It would be

the same as blue or green or brown eyes in people.

Really? That's good to know, yes, I thought the black eyes looked very cool with their coloring. One had a cute little black marking above his nose that looked like a 'stache, and with the "sunglasses" he looked pretty cool hehe...

I was worried though, way back when before I knew anything about fish, I had a black skirt tetra who had an eye that would periodically turn black, then back to normal, then black... over and over for years. But he was kept in horrible conditions :angry: and very stunted overall in health. I've assumed that was because I didn't take proper care of them at the time, and a bad thing... Maybe he just had a freaky eye, my birthmark is a brown speck in my eye and it comes and goes, possibly could be a similar thing with fish eye coloring?

Too bad I don't have the stand built yet, and the tank won't be in till next week... Hmmm, well... I *could* get those guys and put them in Qtine which would give me incentive to get everything built in the next 3-4 weeks... Nah, I'll wait, take my time and do it right...

You are wise to take it slow and do it right. You will have greater success and far more pleasure that way. If you have a breeder that is supplying mmm with pearlscales, chances are he will do so again. And when you are ready a fish will be waiting for you!

My Goggles is a red and white telescope fish, but both of his telescopes are black. Hense the name. He is very healthy and active!

I wonder if a dyed pearl scale is more likely to have black eyes?